Scottish Lowlands Mystery/Navigation Run - August 24th Saturday

BigSkyBrad

2 hours ago, Davep1 said:

Thats a great explanation Brad - well done.

I am used to using pace notes on rallies (years ago) but only used tulips to get to stage starts.

Since my electronic VDO speedo gave up displaying the odo years ago, there is an iphone app called trackpal

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/trackpal-tripmeter-odometer/id1006456044

which is purely a very basic, simple, easily resettable twin trip meter, which uses GPS.

It is not a mapping app - so stays in the spirit of  the event!

Specially useful if you are solo, and the phone is in reach to reset the trip at junctions.

Probably not a 100% reliable app, but better than nothing!

Cheers,

Dave.

Downloaded. Does it only display in landscape?

Guys, that seems a good app, purely a tripmeter, so sticks with the rules.

Just be aware that GPS can’t be relied upon – any signal loss will render the running total gubbed, so that is why there is also a distance quoted for between each intersection, and there aren’t many more than a couple of miles apart – there’s 120 instructions to cover 200 miles. Many of the intersections are T’s which makes it easier. If you have a signal loss, you’ll need to go from intersection to intersection til the next trip zero-ing (there’s three on the run). Plus there is your own ‘internal’ GPS – most have an idea of how long a mile is!

Speedo’s can also have error, whether digital or mechanical, but 9/10 times it is linear, save for wheelspin – navigation runs are no good for drifters!

@Colsum   Colin – does that mean you’ve signed up for the run?

Had a look for a suitable Android tripmeter, but most were too complicated and fiddly for what this run needs. The best (simplest) is Offroad Tripmeter 4x4, but it's £5. Has big trip counter and reset touch-screen button, and a separate reset for the running total - mind you change from kms to miles in Settings.

unnamed.png.9cc60ecb41f169a757a4a038c3396dba.png

Any app-writers out there? Here's what I've quickly mocked up...

trip.jpg.8342460968781dcd44af7b2e49895c47.jpg

Nice and simple, like the Brantz-2 meter I had in my old tarmac rally/sprint Toyota Starlet KP61...

462078368_trip3.jpg.f97c1a09c4ef9cf151d61d70f901e48c.jpg

5 hours ago, Colsum said:

Downloaded. Does it only display in landscape?

Yes- its a pretty basic app, but on testing it today, it seems to work fine (despite the rubbish reviews).

I like the fact that its a long 'push' on the reset button, so you wont easily reset by mistake.

Eats battery life but wire in to a 12v outlet and forget it.

I have it on an old iphone 4 that I bought for a few quid on ebay as a cheap landrover speedo - you dont need a sim.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BigSkyBrad said:

Guys, that seems a good app, purely a tripmeter, so sticks with the rules.

Just be aware that GPS can’t be relied upon – any signal loss will render the running total gubbed, so that is why there is also a distance quoted for between each intersection, and there aren’t many more than a couple of miles apart – there’s 120 instructions to cover 200 miles. Many of the intersections are T’s which makes it easier. If you have a signal loss, you’ll need to go from intersection to intersection til the next trip zero-ing (there’s three on the run). Plus there is your own ‘internal’ GPS – most have an idea of how long a mile is!

Speedo’s can also have error, whether digital or mechanical, but 9/10 times it is linear, save for wheelspin – navigation runs are no good for drifters!

@Colsum   Colin – does that mean you’ve signed up for the run?

Ye. Sign me up.

19 hours ago, BigSkyBrad said:

Any app-writers out there? 

Yep - but no “free” time to do one right now (although should be easy enough). Also if it’s for Apple it takes ages to get it published (maybe weeks) and about half a day’s graft (for each platform) just to jump through the hoops to prep the app and all the required screenshots etc. 

Little by little, we're getting a bigger start list, the more the merrier!

Starters...

0. Brad and Diane

1. Gary and Trina

2. H7 Brian

3. Jim and Jean

4. Dave (+1)

5. Hornet600 John (+1)

6. Colsum Colin (+1?)

Tentative...

1. Ziplob Bob and Lorna

2. Alfascozzesi Gary and William

3. Judder

1 hour ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Yep - but no “free” time to do one right now (although should be easy enough). Also if it’s for Apple it takes ages to get it published (maybe weeks) and about half a day’s graft (for each platform) just to jump through the hoops to prep the app and all the required screenshots etc. 

Was only thinking of Android, as Dave had found a good Apple one. If not this year, I'll hold you to it should the run be on next year! :p

Just now, BigSkyBrad said:

Was only thinking of Android, as Dave had found a good Apple one. If not this year, I'll hold you to it should the run be on next year! :p

Well Android is easier as you can install non-market apps (but only if you trust me!) 😁

Microsofy Powerapp is easy to write and can be downloaded to android and apple devices with the same functionality. We are starting to use them at work to replace paperwork systems.

1 hour ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

(but only if you trust me!) 😁

How much do you weigh (as in how far can I throw you)?😜

• Haha 1

For those staying over in Peebles on the Saturday night, and indeed those who are able to stay on after the run finishes, there is a get-together over a meal that night, say 7pm.

There is a variety of pubs and hotels for a meal, also restaurants including a Chinese and an Indian. I’ll need to book ahead sometime this week to secure a table or two.

The Barony Castle Hotel, where several are staying, is only a couple of miles out of town, well off the main road and has a big carpark – I’ve looked at the menu prices and their bar menu is the comparable with pubs in town, and their restaurant prices only a couple £ more. I’m guessing the bar would be more our scene  –  that way we don’t have to get too flashed up, and saves packing the dinner suits and frocks in the Westies!

Preferences? Dietary requirements? – please let me know by the end of the week.

Thanks Brad.

I have no dietary restrictions so happy to go with the flow. I'm booked into the Barony Castle Hotel.

Cheers,

Brian

We are staying over, in Peebles on the Sat night - walking distance from the centre, but will go with the majority. No dietary needs...

Dave.