Scottish Lowlands Mystery/Navigation Run - August 24th Saturday

BigSkyBrad

2 hours ago, Colsum said:

I don't have a trip meter or mileometer that work full time but put me down anyway. If I don't fix it before the event and they decide not to work on the day i'll guess it..

That's the spirit! You'll be fine! The majority of intersections are 'T's, so if the instruction says turn left you turn left. There is also clues at each intersection (roadsigns etc).

GPS app is fine to use considering your circumstances. Just don't rely on it 100%, keep applying your instinct. We found when mapping the route that GPS can jump all round the place and get confused (signal loss etc), whereas if a speedo reads slow or fast the error is linear.

Trying to convince Dawn to come along. She's crap at navigation though so it could be a long day 😀

Bob

• Like 1

Starting to get some momentum now, any more for a fun day's driving?

Starters...

0. Brad and Diane

1. Gary and Trina

2. H7 Brian (+1?)

3. Jim and Jean

4. Dave (+1)

Tentative...

1. Ziplob Bob and Lorna

2. Alfascozzesi Gary and William

3. Kirmadawn1 Bob (and Dawn?)

4. Judder

On 05/07/2019 at 17:48, Jonsey said:

Hi Guys wont make this one, its my nightshift weekend 😒, have a good one ,  Jim.

👍

I ought to be able to make it. Car's not running 100%, don't have the money/time to get it right. Haven't had it taxed yet as the weather's been poor.

18 minutes ago, judder said:

I ought to be able to make it. Car's not running 100%, don't have the money/time to get it right. Haven't had it taxed yet as the weather's been poor.

Sorry, a bit confused - it that a yes, a no, or a maybe?😉

There was a bit of interest from down here,

Will push it at meet tonight.

Sounds like an excellent event.

(Unfortunately I cannot make it 😪)

Oh, that's a shame, Dave - but yes please, give your lot a curry-up. It'd be great to have some from south of the border (but we'll lock up our cattle just in case)!

• Haha 1

With a big petted lip I have to say I'm out of this one. Dawn has just remembered we have friends staying with us that weekend. That could have been awkward if they turned up and we were out playing.

it sounds like a great event and something different so I really hope there is a decent turnout and everyone enjoys it. 

Bob

Starters...

0. Brad and Diane

1. Gary and Trina

2. H7 Brian

3. Jim and Jean

4. Dave (+1)

5. Hornet600 John (+1)

Tentative...

1. Ziplob Bob and Lorna

2. Alfascozzesi Gary and William

3. Judder

Some people were asking yesterday on the Braemar run about the level of map-reading there was to do, that map-reading wasn’t their strong suit. There is no map-reading – well, not until you get lost and have to open the emergency envelope with has a map of the area with waypoints to get back on track, and the destination.

The whole route is navigated using ‘tulips’, like what the old-school rally cars used before pace-notes (and still use for the touring sections between stages).

tulip1.jpg.e0364838c41335c20ec2449fd4a4f1f1.jpg

Each instruction box contains a ‘tulip’, which is a plan-view of the approaching intersection with you as the  ‘bulb’ at the bottom approaching it. The number in the RH top white box is the distance to that intersection from the one last one, and the yellow-boxed number is the running total on your tripmeter when you’re at the intersection you’re approaching (zero’d back at the start). There may be references to a road sign found at that intersection, to further confirm you are at the right intersection.

So…

Instruction 45 – A dog-leg T-intersection (right-then-left), 0.2 miles from the last instruction, 18.2 miles from when the speedo was last zero’d, and there is a sign at the intersection that says Edinburgh (but not necessarily where you’re heading).

Instruction 46 – T-intersection, turn right, 0.9 miles from Instr.45, tripmeter now says 19.1 miles.

Instruction 47 – Turn right onto side road/slip road, 1.3 miles from Instr.46, tripmeter now says 20.4 miles.

Simples!  Don’t worry, it will all be explained at the crew brief at the start on the day.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Thats a great explanation Brad - well done.

I am used to using pace notes on rallies (years ago) but only used tulips to get to stage starts.

Since my electronic VDO speedo gave up displaying the odo years ago, there is an iphone app called trackpal

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/trackpal-tripmeter-odometer/id1006456044

which is purely a very basic, simple, easily resettable twin trip meter, which uses GPS.

It is not a mapping app - so stays in the spirit of  the event!

Specially useful if you are solo, and the phone is in reach to reset the trip at junctions.

Probably not a 100% reliable app, but better than nothing!

Cheers,

Dave.

• Like 1