• Blatman

• adhawkins

• Mark Stanton

• Tony B

What was the question ?

We've been here before. Do a search.

Andy

:D:devil:

Alan - a relative newcomer myself I too have been frustrated by the search engine. The problem for me was the avalanche of threads that were returned on a search. Now when I search I generally only search topic titles in the newbies and techtalk sections. The threads returned are more likely to be relevant. Also change the date range at the bottom to today and older.

Looking at Blatchat (I know... sorry :blush: ) I wonder if we should think about having a FAQ for Newbies read only site? Would enable people thinking about Westy ownership to get a quick primer without troubling Blatman too much :oops: I'm no expert but I'd be happy to contribute to Andy, or whoever owns the editorial content, a view on what we should include.

Cheers

Mike

I'm no expert but I'd be happy to contribute to Andy, or whoever owns the editorial content, a view on what we should include.

Umm, Andy as in me?

I have no official connection with the WSCC (not on the comittee or anything). Just a happy member and (hopefully) occasionally helpful one ;

There are a number of FAQ management packages around that might make the whole process easier if Adrian is interested.

Andy

42             :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :xmas:  :bangshead:  :D  :devil:  :p

The answer to the meaning of life, at any rate.

Anyone know the question? :)

Andy

I tried, but it came up with pages and pages of results. I couldn't be bothered to try to refine it myself, so I just thought I'd ask.

:D

Circular discussions anyone?

:)

Andy

I find the search engine to be worse than useless.

Even when I know I've posted something which relates to it recently, it still doesn't manage to find it.  :bangshead:

All IMO of course & no I couldn't do any better.

I think it would be good to have a FAQ as I have said before, although that would mean less posts to the forum & it would be a tumbleweed in no time; thing likes the following

1) Spark plugs for X-flow/Zetec/VX/V7/BEC

2) Tyre pressures

3) Alternator/starter motor codes

4) Link for headlamps, indicators, etc (Electric stuff)

5) Fors & Against for each cars with WSCC members input

6) Oil to use & where from

7) Which battery

8) Which tyres for road, road & track, track use.

9) Places to take your Westy (Paul @ Plays-Kool for northerners)

10) RR/Carb Setup places (Dennis Vessey)

I'm sure there are a few more commonly asked questions.  :durr:  :sheep:  :zzz:  :down:  :oops:  :bangshead:

I agree to a certain extent. The FAQ points you make are valid, however the search engine is fine as long as you're prepared to put a little effort in.

(soapbox mode on)

I'm all for helping people out, but one thing that really grates with me is people who ask for help without showing that they've made some effort to actually help themselves. The majority of questions that are asked could be answered by spending 5 or 10 minutes trying a search. It's that that winds me up, not the questions themselves.

(soapbox mode off)

If we can get rid of the same old questions being asked over and over again, we can get back to taking the p*** out of people again :D

Andy

I agree to a certain extent. The FAQ points you make are valid, however the search engine is fine as long as you're prepared to put a little effort in.

I'd say, personally, I do put the effort in, it just doesn't return the results. :angry:

I think a good 5 mins is usually 'wasted' on the search function before I make each of my 'techie' posts  :bangshead:  

:suspect:

As for the same old questions, they may be old to you but to many they are new.  Time & time again I see posts of "use the search function" in reply to new members posts, which ok they might not know about but EVERYTIME!?  It frustrates me a bit & I see it as a bit 'petty' (IMO), especially if they are new to the fold & don't get the so called 'humour'.  Not everyone is perfect & worldy wise with using the internet, yes it's true, not everyone can use the internet to the same efficency as others, they may of already used the search funtion but as they aren't that 'net-Literate, may find it difficult to get the results.   :0

Everyone starts somewhere, usually the topic titles put in by the new members are relevant to the question so if you are so tired/sick of seeing the posts, just ignore them, it's quite easy, it's like people who moan about e-mails you know that key that has DELETE printed on it, you can use it, etc.

;)  ???  :oops:  :p  :D