The Elise has gone

Len

Hello all, bit new to this but I'll give it a go...

Used to have a Westy 1.7 x-flow a couple of years ago (L437 RTW) if anbody knows it.

Anywho, just got a new one. 1997 16v Red top twin 45's and an SBD Exhaust (I think) very nice it is too. I had forgotten how much fun they were (makes the Elise seem a little bland)

Anyway I thought I would just say hello and no doubt will be asking loads of dumb questions soon.

Cheers

Len

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• adhawkins

• Mark Stanton

• Tony B

Chaps, I have to say this board can be a bit frustrating at times to new visitors, no sooner have they said their first words a WSCC member jumps on them and forces membership down their throats.

Again being a Newish member I find this a little annoying, surely you should give someone a chance to see whether they really want to become a member or not.

The Benefits dont seem that great to me, The Events list isnt that large, where is the calendar for next years events?

There are several references to competative events which most owners will not be interested in..

I thought the whole point of having a westie and come to think of it any sports car was that you could happily chat about it with other users.

Another thing I find frustrating is the fact that you have to be a member to post on certain forums, I am also a member of a Lotus Forum, I paid because the club does actually show and offer visible benefits.

Discounts on Track days, the list for last year alone is quite big with lots coming up in the near future. I signed up and paid pretty quickly when they put their subscription on place.

My 2p

Mark, yes you are generally the culprit although you seem to have been beaten on this thread ;)

I had an elise too, I joined the club before subs were taken when it first started, and when I bought the westie not a word was said.

I still benefit from all the discounts e.g. Brands Indy CCT for between £99 and £120 depending on number of cars etc.

The club/Message board is very active which is more than I can say for this.

Im not a youngster but am a big believer in saving the rainforests, I also realise that the majority of members are probably not computer literate and wouldnt want to read a web page

my point here is a magazine is just as well presented on a website which ultimately saves on production/printing/shipping...

The Lotus BB does not limit new members from posting on any of its forums, the benefits membership provide are provided through its online shop thus allowing people to sign up without having to be pressganged..

I appreciate that theres a lot of work required running a club but give the new guys a break and let them choose.

And of course you can see I havent joined as it says MEMBERS underneeth my Avatar...   :bangshead:

If Chairman mark can't (gently :cool: ) persuade someone to sign up....then who can??

The tone of the post is only in jest anyway (can you have tone in text??)

I fail to see how there can be not much of value to you in joining the club.

There are

Social events, trips abroad (lemans etc) area drives out, meets for a beer, sprinting, showing, racing, non car events(bowling etc), trackdays; open days

If you can't find something in there for you then (my opinion) maybe this westfield game isn't for you.

As for calender of events; have you looked on the site for 2004 show dates??

They are there; not to mention almost solid dates for speed series and some of the annual club trackdays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The club/Message board is very active which is more than I can say for this.

I also realise that the majority of members are probably not computer literate and wouldnt want to read a web page

I appreciate that theres a lot of work required running a club but give the new guys a break and let them choose.

Have you taken a knock to the head recently??

Scott, nope no bangs on the head although I did skin a few nuckles over the weekend moving my rad..

Unfortunatley being the SIMPLE person that I am I follow the links generally, go to the WSCC site URL at the top  http://www.wscc.co.uk this takes you to the home page allegedly. Then choose the Events the last one there was early 2003.

Theres information scattered around the site relating back to 2002. Im obviously very DUMB as its not that obvious to me where to go for this so called 2004 show dates list!!! or is this hidden behind the WSCC registration!!

And just to analyse your list...

Free events unless they entail an entry fee then I agree a discount for members is a benefit!!!

Social events, trips abroad (lemans etc) area drives out, meets for a beer, showing, open days

Not everyone wants to participate but agreed if a discount is offered then this would be a benefit!!

sprinting, racing, trackdays;

Does the club put money up for this or is it discounted to the Members?

non car events(bowling etc),  

All of these are offered through the Lotus Club but they are up front and dont jump on everyone to say sign up.. Theyve got 3800 members at the mo, of which the majority are not paid up, there is a percentage of non Lotus drivers, they welcome other marques etc.

Please point me in the direction of the info I cant find and Ill gladly pay for membership if I deem it to be worthwhile for me..

Tony

Use the search facility on the board or take a look in the sprint/ race section.

Dates for speed series are there.

If you want show dates they are to be found in events section.

Take your time to explore the site.

There is LOTS going on.

The club events (all kinds ) are very well supported. All track days offer a subsidised entry for club members.Different marques are welcome at most events. The club membership fees get well spent on the EXCELLENT facilities we have at shows (marquees, tv and vid (club video/ track video's.............), banners, not to mention club equipment for car set up.

Corner weight gagues, camber guages etc.

And just to analyse your list...

Free events unless they entail an entry fee then I agree a discount for members is a benefit!!!

Social events, trips abroad (lemans etc) area drives out, meets for a beer, showing, open days

Not everyone wants to participate but agreed if a discount is offered then this would be a benefit!!

sprinting, racing, trackdays;

Does the club put money up for this or is it discounted to the Members?

non car events(bowling etc),  

All of these are offered through the Lotus Club but they are up front and dont jump on everyone to say sign up..

Please point me in the direction of the info I cant find and Ill gladly pay for membership if I deem it to be worthwhile for me..

Tony;

If you want value for money from events I fail to see how you won't find it here.

Re social events (karting; bowling; beer drinking....No these are not subsidised :bangshead:

Would you expect your local pub landlord to give you free beer if you guarantee to bring a few mate???????????:bangshead:

Takie a look; join if you want to... Thousands of us here to keep you occupied.

You will be most welcome.

This might seem a little hard, but you come over as a bit of a tight fisted PRAT. If you join the club that's when the benefits

start. The major part being able to attend your local meetings

and socializing with like minded people. Discount this and discount that!!!!! Is that all you think about. I have had my membership fee back 100 times over, by taking part in the events our Warwickshire Area club has organized. Le Mans,

Carting, Run What You Brung Santa Pod, Off Road Carting,

Overnight Trip To Wales and loads of other things.

You can also attend any of the many other events organized by the main club board. Get real!!! What do you want for about £25.00???? On second thoughts you would be better staying with your LOTUS friends as in life to get out anything you have to put something in.

Phil

Phil, guess the SIGNED UP Members dont like listening to non members eh... Im not Tight Fisted, I just like to know what Im getting for my money, and I agree £25 is not a lot in the grand scheme of things. Would you rather a lot of sheep joined and just paid up without questioning what they get?? thats why we have a country the way it is, bet you voted Labour too!!!

I would also say that there are only a small group on the Lotus Board that I would class as Friends, there are also quite a few PRATS on there too.. Get what I mean!!! Although the Majority of people on there tend to listen and not jump it and shout their mouths off..

Scott, maybe the information is there but its not easy to find (my point!;)

I also apprecitate that the board is run by people who have a day job e.g. it could be more functional if there were enough hours in the day to work on it.

Pointless argument anyway as Im not a signed up member so what I say is either falling on deaf ears or on the ears of the self Righteous!!!!..

Now, now girls, calm down. (and yes, I am a scouser).

Personally, I was more than willing to join the club purely on the basis of the huge amounts of information available here in the forums (I know that all this Internet stuff isn't free, no matter what people think...).

I haven't had much chance to take advantage of any of the club activities as of yet, but the camaraderie and general good humour and quality of advice I've received so far more than compensate me for such a small amount of money.

Just my £0.02...

Andy

Now, now girls, calm down. (and yes, I am a scouser).

Personally, I was more than willing to join the club purely on the basis of the huge amounts of information available here in the forums (I know that all this Internet stuff isn't free, no matter what people think...).

I haven't had much chance to take advantage of any of the club activities as of yet, but the camaraderie and general good humour and quality of advice I've received so far more than compensate me for such a small amount of money.

Just my £0.02...

Andy

Mark, Im from Orkshire so a spade is a shovel where I come from and up until today I was convinced that signing up would be a good move, Ive had some useful tips off the site,  Ive also received a few patronising comments too, Im a big boy now so I should be allowed to make my own decisions!! All I asked for was the list of benefits and information on future events... oh and said that forcing the membership down peoples throats is not really the best way of doing things...

In the true spirit of open top motoring I believe certain members need to take a chill pill and allow others to have a voice and make their own decisions..

If individuals who are not followers didnt join the club then surely it wouldnt expand and offer more benefit.

maybe we should leave it at that unless someone else wants to jump in with their hanbag flailing!!!