The Elise has gone

Len

I'm really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really sorry. :blush:  :blush:  :D  :D  :D

JC

Edited to say: Having now read all the posts... I am not sorry - see later post

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• adhawkins

• Mark Stanton

• Tony B

Thanks for joining Len  :D  :D

Pleased to see you could see the humour in it rather than any pressure  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :devil:  :D

I'm not sorry  :D  :D

:devil:

I'm pretty much a Newbie  :)  and would agree that the 'core' posters can appear a little intimidating  :(

However I think that's a problem with the faceless characteristic of an internet forum. Sure people have avatars etc, but I guess quite a few people only get to communicate with other like minded 7ers through a computer monitor.

Point to note ... maybe we should ALL take stock with how our posts may come across once in a while  ???  ???

EG. Spelling can be suspect on here but do we need to pull people up about it " here, here ... sorry ... hear, hear". Probably not but then lets not get over sensitive about it either.

As for the main issue (to date  :D  ) I agree that the homepage ought to be the place for standard info. Events in particular. A table is the about the best way of displaying the critical info in an easy to use format. As for the topics in the events section ... this is really for everyone to work out how things are happening, which is kind of irrelevant to potential new recruits and the events timetable.

We want to attract new members, particular paid up ones, as we want our club to flourish and presumable grow. Hook them with the homepage and hopefully they will work out the 'banter' requirements of the forum before they get the wrong impression and bu##er off.

Ultimately we are all here to enjoy 7ing (in particluar)

Happy Xmas  :xmas:  :xmas:  :xmas:

Oh and I've just wasted my lunch hour on one thread  :D  :D  :p  :p  :arse:

Although the Majority of people on there tend to listen and not jump it and shout their mouths off..

Scott, maybe the information is there but its not easy to find (my point!;)

I also apprecitate that the board is run by people who have a day job e.g. it could be more functional if there were enough hours in the day to work on it.

falling on deaf ears or on the ears of the self Righteous!!!!..

Our attentions have not been to rile or upset you; we have merely pointed out the benefits of being a member of OUR great club.

If you want to be part of this then you are most welcome ; if you don't then that's your choice...but before you take such a cynical viewpoint on the "value" of the club  I suggest you make some effort to get to a local meet; go to a club event;  come for a beer at the Autosport show.................

Oh and I should take offence at being called righteous....but towards the end of a very hard week of night hifts.....Well frankly I can't be     :arse:

Of course if you have joined and we see you at some of the club events then you'll see we really are a great mix of characters; all enjoying westfields and the lifestyle that surrounds them (various).

well said timd !

the amount of pi$$ taking towards the questions that the newbies ask in the short time i have been logging on is not warranted or fair,im pretty sure ALL of you were at sometime new to the westfield .take a look at how some of your replies are structured and if you have nothing constructive too say then say NOWT and let the people who want to help newbies do so.over the last few weeks i have posted what ithought were valid questions and had excellent responses, one member even phoned me after i asked him to as i had a lot of questions that would take too long to answer over the forum.superb !!!!!.a lot of my queries have been dealt with and im now back up and running with my build cheers

p.s. beware newbies dont stay newbies forever :t-up:

The reason they get you to sign up is so that they can loosly control who posts so that the board doesnt fill with crap.

You missed my point. My point being that I have to register to even view the SELOC forums. You don't register to view here. You do have to register to post, for exactly the reasons you state. I reckon we attract new registrations because viewing is open to all.......

As for the "do a search" mantra, yes I say it a lot. It's not the only thing I say to a newbie when replying though....Naturally, I'm with Stu99 on this......

Another problem with the "Search the Archives" statement is that the results returned are 99.9% irrelevant.. I wanted info on Overheating problems recently, put Overheating in the search and search all archives from the beginning see what you get, just done it myself... First result in the list is about spare tyres!!!!! The search facility is not much good unless you are very explicit with what you want, which is why people tend to ask on the board coz they havent got time to search through hundreds of irrelevant posts that may have the word overheating in...

I don't believe for one minute that you don't know how to structure a search.....  :suspect:  but just in case......  :p

The search here works almost exactly like Yahoo/Google, and just about every other search engine out there. If you can use Google, you can use this site. If you can't use Google, then you just ain't getting the best out of the money you spend surfing the net, let alone this BB. IMO *everyone* should learn how to properly use internet search engines. They really are the gateway to what you're looking for.......and yes, I know that sounds sarcy/condescending, but it isn't meant to, OK......  :)

As for newbies being daunted, I guess I kind of assume that they've done a little background reading before they ask the "what wheels/offset" question for the 128th time. It's just that they quite understandably haven't read the relevant posts. Fair enough, but by giving them an answer, and then pointing them to the fact that there is a search engine (many folk don't even see the Seach button), then why not? I'm sure we're all agreed that being able to search the site is a good thing. If not, then perhaps we should ask the Webmaster to remove the function, and replace it with a more appropriate table...........which newbies would have just as much difficulty finding as the Events forum, especially if they have to search the site for (heaven forbid.......) with nothing more than a mouse and a pair of eyes........ :p  :p

Oh for goodness sake!

A new 'newbie' question for you:

Exactly what length ladder do you all suggest we now use to climb up on the horse? Long, very long or really really long?

Sure, seeing "use the search function" can get wearing at times... but enough other people will post answers anyway so, so what? (and I have never got a good result from using it - and boy do I try, it must be a nack).

New owners (of any car - now got to be real careful about how things are phrased) being asked to join the club has taken on the form of a light hearted sport in recent months (and as Mark says - so what if anyone chooses not to join?), live with it... and what harm does it seem to be doing? None that I can see.

This is (to most of us I assume) a hobby - you know, fun, you remember fun don't you?

Len, what can I say... it must be the weather or something :D

JC

The weather, and a huuuuuge hangover........

I'll stop now........  :D:D:D

Oh yeah, use the longest ladder, 'cos you can get off before you get to the top. A short ladder might not reach.......   :p  :D

Sorry..   :down:  :down:  :oops:  :oops:  :devil:  :devil:

Oh yeah, use the longest ladder, 'cos you can get off before you get to the top. A short ladder might not reach.......  

Aluminium or wood? :D

JC

My last post on this thread, just to point out a certain members contradiction, I commented early on about if a user does not form a query correctly they wont get the results they want read a couple of posts up and then read the original response to my query forming statement, get the picture ;)

I agree fun is the word but being told to search the archives for the millionth time tends to be a bit wearing (not that Ive been told that many times but hey if you cant blow things out of all proportion then theres something amiss)

So are we agreed that one should not immediately assume that people have not used the search function or maybe a re-phrasing of the prompt..

And as you can see I do have some people in agreement with me regarding the Table of events list oh and of course the Club Front page.

Ill gladly sign up when I can easily find the info relating to whats happening in the new year without having to look in 20+ different places. My £25 is yours :D

ok, as its nearly christmas (i would say humbug but we're going away  :t-up: ) how about everyone whos "whinged" on this topic go back and delete all there posts ?

then start again by saying a nice hello  :D

although Marks bit about joining can stay  :p