Dear Diary: My journey from Xflow to Zetec... Now definitely done!

Quinten

I've now visited two alu welder/fabricators and both quote around the £300 for modifying my existing tank to add extra capacity and fit a collar so I can secure the V8 pump. Am now going to investigate new tank fabrication at those prices :(

Speak to Martin - I used an alloy welder near Newport pagnell to weld in a fuel sender and fuel return pipe and it cost me a tenner. I can't remember the guys details though. But Martin was who recommended him so he'll know.

My car had a zetec in when I got it. Replaced with a zetec. Near side engine mount was the same. Gearbox sits well forward. The engine and box sit nicely to the near side surely helping with single driver corner weights. The 2 main issues where the Westfield 4-1 manifold contacted the cycle wing and the timing belt cover intereared with the bonnet. My engines out and I'm doing some upgrades. I'm going to modify the bell housing , prop and mounts to get the engine abit further back. Well that's the plan at the moment!

• 3 weeks later...

Mm, shiney! :yes:

Forgot to mention I noticed the gearbox mounting rubber was perished - new one needed. Maybe Martin mentioned it to you?

have fun!

1 hour ago, windy said:

Forgot to mention I noticed the gearbox mounting rubber was perished - new one needed. Maybe Martin mentioned it to you?

have fun!

I sure did Graham:t-up:

6 hours ago, windy said:

have fun!

4 hours ago, Marto303 said:

I sure did Graham:t-up:

Yes, thanks both, got one on order :yes:

I use armour fab ,he does lots of work for hot rods drag racing etc made my header tank for me ,to my spec top class work.

Fitted the gearbox back into the car today and although I tried the 'engine+gearbox' combo, it proved impossible to tilt the engine in such a way where it would slide in

2016-12-17_13_39_38.jpg

A load balancer would have been a requirement for that I would imagine?  So I waited until Q jr returned from work and with his help we first did the gearbox, and then after lots of up and down, up and down, up and down I finally got the gearbox and engine mated.  I should have taken lots of pictures, but daylight was going quick and Q jr had driving lessons to attend to, so I quickly measured up the NSF engine mount position and made sure that the OSF engine mount would go on the welded panel visible in the picture above.

Some random musings.  Need a dirt shield between engine and bellhousing.  Have seen the Retro ford one and that seems suitable enough.  Had to remove the alternator to fit the engine, but with the engine in location it looks like I can fit it back on the OSF side.  Fingers crossed.  Didn't have many bolts to fix engine to bellhousing, but seems they are all M10?

One thing I regret is not trying out the gearbox on the engine out of the car with the clutch fitted.  I am still not sure if my old clutch release bearing will work on the zetec and I really don't want to find out when I've gone through the hassle of fitting the engine again on the mounts.  May decide to remove gearbox again (my son will love me for that) just to get a dry fitting sorted.

Oh, and how the hell do some people to manage to do this all on their own?!?

Looking good progress so far. I would cover the exhaust ports with tissue or tape to just make sure nothing falls in there. It took two of us to fit the S2000 engine in mine and didnt use a load leveller I had borrowed and just pushed the gearbox down into the tunnel and it 'just' got over the chassis at the front.