Dear Diary: My journey from Xflow to Zetec... Now definitely done!

Quinten

For those not aware, you do need to be really carefull cutting aluminium with a grinder, it's often best to bin the cutting disc afterwards, just to ere on the side of caution. (Aluminium can sort of melt into the disc as you cut, which can, in rare circumstances, cause the disc to shatter in use.

Thanks Dave - was not aware of this.

You can get specific aluminium (abrasive type) cutting discs for an angry grinder, no experience of them though.

Personally, if not hand cutting, depending on the item to cut, I'd use, jig-saw, cut off saw, Sawzall or nibbler. Though I'd be lying if I said I'd never risked a cut off disc in a grinder. It's done knowing what could go wrong though and taking appropriate precautions, I also only ever use a new, clean disc.

What can happen when a disc lets go.... NSFW or the squeamish. (If I remember correctly, this might be an over-speed failure, but the results are the same!)

Getting back to planning, on my fuel tank I have a single outlet at the bottom/side of the tank. This outlet will no longer be required as I will have in & out on the pump, so I somehow need to blank it off. The only suggestion so far I've seen is to use a little bit of fuel hose, and stick a well fitting bolt in the end of it. Then clamp it on both sides. Is this really recommended? Or should I be looking at something else?

Is the tank coming out Q? If so, I get it to an alloy welder and get it blanked off properly. If not, your proposed solution is fine. Just make it a good quality high pressure hose and fittings!

• Like 1

Yes, the tank is already out as I need to have the axle out. Not much of a car left now ;)

edited to add: The welder that did my link pipe for your exhaust does aluminium (amongst others)... time to pay him a visit :yes:

• Like 1

While you're there, do you need a return line feed welding in too?

Could you get him to weld a securing flange to the tank for your trick fuel pump/swirl pot/sender unit?

While you're there, do you need a return line feed welding in too?

No, I'm using a trick fuel pump which has a built in return ;)

Could you get him to weld a securing flange to the tank for your trick fuel pump/swirl pot/sender unit?

Yes, I think it makes sense to ask (at least) for his opinion on a way of fixing it.

Just thinking it might be an idea to future proof the tank while it's out...

Quinten has found a Range Rover V8 fuel pump that mounts inside the fuel tank, it has a built in swirl pot as well as incorporating a VDO fuel level sender. The pumps top plate has both the outlet to the fuel rail and the return rail built in! It literally is a one stop solution for every fuel tank connection except the filler!!

I know. Just thinking that at some point, knowing how much of a tinkerer our Mr Q is, he might want a change, and rather than have to take the tank out again to weld in a return feed, he could do it now whilst he's there and cap it off.

Future proofing is the way to go!

I have only been at this game a short time but still look back and think "I wish I'd done xxxx when I took yyy apart last time..."

Not sure about the future proofing, but I will have a think about it... The future probably brings a whole new kit build ;)

kPpEJay.jpg

Woohoo! Have ruined a chisel in the process, but I wasn't much into woodworking anyway ;)

Now the cleaning can commence :yes:

• Like 2