Dear Diary: My journey from Xflow to Zetec... Now definitely done!

Quinten

Sure Gary, will pretty much have everything available other than gearbox. Hopefully see you Monday the 10th?

Engine is now tucked away in the garage, until I am ready to fit, but that doesn't mean I am without questions ;)

JUmHGuC.jpg

That hose, where/what should it connect to? A catch tank? A small filter? To the crank somewhere?

2016-10-02+13_19_41.jpg

I've been left with the clutch/flywheel that was working with the MT75 gearbox. Do I still need to replace a part of this to make it work with my Type 9?

lndq6fw.jpg

The sensor there is an oil pressure sensor? Or oil temperature?

It's a breather. Vent to catch tank along with crankcase breather.

The clutch should be compatible, mine was on mt75 first. Thrust (release) bearing likely to be different.

Can't see well on mobile but looks like oil pressure sender.

So, if I understand it correctly, with the help of the below picture, I should replace the one on the left, with the one on the right, and then I have an uncle Bob?

release%20bearing.JPG

1/ Oil breather can go to a tank

2/ Dont know 

3/ Oil pressure sender. Oil temp is 'usually' tapped in the sump to read oil temp or an inline fitting via an oil cooler 

So, if I understand it correctly, with the help of the below picture, I should replace the one on the left, with the one on the right, and then I have an uncle Bob?

release%20bearing.JPG

Hmm actually mine looks more like one on left!

I got it from burtons will find a link.

• Like 1

Just to add. Mine has a steel billet light flywheel so might not be the same. From what I've read everything points to the ct133 for a 1.8 flywheel and early Zetec clutch. Sorry to throw confusion into the mix!

Best ignore my setup altogether as it has also dawned on me that I got clutch with my first engine so can't say if that's the same as "usual".

I do know that if it fits an mt75 then it will go on a type 9 and I used type 9 release bearing.

I'll get me coat ...

1. Breather

2. Single wire likely to be pressure. Mine is 2 wire... can't remember what the second is for right now. Oil temp will look like the water temp sender amd might be in the sump plug.

3. Ct133 sounds right. But mine Deffo looks like the knee in tbe left ???

Right, so the conclusion is that there is no conclusion yet, and once I have lifted my Xflow and gearbox I should be able to determine which one is required. This may be a stupid question, but is there a way of testing the correct function of gearbox+engine 'on the work bench'?

Another question. I've found this nifty fuel pump / swirl pot / sender from Land Rover

33771-b3488d4ce308c69be0568d81407141ff.j

s-l1600.jpg

and it even allows for a different depth of tank as the bottom part slides up/down to fit. Can anyone see a problem with using one of these inside my carb tank where I currently have the VDO sender (in the middle on the top)?

What pressure output does it produce and what flow rate? (Which Landy engine is it for?)

You might be lucky with the sender and have a range of resistance values close enough to the original to be usable "as-is", other wise you might need to add a gauge matcher (box of electronics, not dear though).

so I take it you can get the pump section to the bottom of the tank, but where does it draw fuel in? (looks like it might be level with the bottom in that top shot.)

After a quick bit of Googling, that looks to be a cool bit of kit, OEM is a Siemens VDO unit, so reasonable compatibility chances. It seems to be designed for somewhat universal fit, self adjusting for the height of the tank, within a certain range.

I didn't hunt for long, but versions do seem to have been used on the Landy TDi engines, however there are also versions used in the 4 plus litre V8's as well as some MGF's, so as long as its suitable for the latter, there shouldn't be an issue with the Zetec.

It would appear to possibly be one of those hidden little gems; one or two people seem aware of it over Locostbuilders way, and a few other sites, but nothing like the awareness the old Golf swirl pot/pump unit had.

Give it a try! Would love to know how you get on!  ;)  ;)  ;)  And whether it works or not  :oops:  :d