Dear Diary: My journey from Xflow to Zetec... Now definitely done!

Quinten

Yes, it's near twice the size.  Brings it to a full week of travel before filling up again.  Suits me!

• Like 1

On 16/11/2016 at 22:19, tisme said:

Q,

My son recommends Armour Fabrications in Irchester http://www.misterwhat.co.uk/company/1656610-armour-fabrications-wellingborough

They do steel and aluminium welding / fabrication and he's had some good aluminium work done there

Colin

would that be these ones ??????

5 minutes ago, tisme said:

would that be these ones ??????

Yes, I should have paid more attention last November :getmecoat:

I know what it's like when you've got a million things to do (and remember) - and I'm retired !! :d

• Like 1

i quite fancy a larger tank.  I like that on I guess you'll need a filler from the top rather than rear. 120 miles is hopeless and after 90 miles I'm already thinking about how economical I've driven and if to fill up at the next pump.   So far I've only run out of fuel once!   But I carry a gallon can so it was not to bad. I have various ideas but I quite like the thought of keeping the standard tank and adding a second tank to  create a reserve tank.   So when it runs out I can see switch to reserve like on a motorbike. 

Yes, the filler has been relocated to the top...  which is why I need to go back for final 'tuning' ;)

2017-03-13 17.33.28.jpg

At a guess I think my 6 gallons are now 11 gallons...

58cedda713575_2017-03-1917_29_46.thumb.jpg.d82bb40cddffe75f0ccab648ad48473e.jpg

What a pain in the backside are those straps to keep the tank in place ;) 

Having now completed the fuel and cooling systems, and 90% completed the wiring, next weekend...  time to start her up?!?!?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've got good news...  and bad news...

The good news is that my re-wiring job is nearly complete and that my hazards and indicators (one of those tricky things) are working as expected :blush:

The bad news is that pretty much all other wiring does not seem to work :cry:

I'm going to replace the Superseal connectors that I used for the lights as they don't seem to keep the pins inside the connector and a 'jiggle' of the connector intermittently made the lights work.  Also still need to re-wire the dash, but that's easily done now I've more or less finished the scuttle wiring.

Very hopeful I will be starting the car on Thursday!

Quinten, before you start replacing the connectors, use a tiny screwdriver to lift the plastic lock up a bit and also make sure you are putting the pins in the right way up.

I'll first make sure to check the power gets to the pins, but I've never been happy about the quality of the connectors, so will see what comes out of that.

What crimped are you using? (Some will distort the crimped on pin just enough to make them loose in the shell). have the yellow plastic anti-backout mouldings clipped fully home? Again, if there's much distortion on the pins, they will push nearly, but not quite home, they seem to go far enough to be sort of clipped in place, as in they don't fall out, but not far enough to stop the pins being pushed in.