DVLA - unbelievable!

Kingster

So, the saga of getting a reg number continues.

Today after 4 weeks I finally get to speak to the chap in charge of my application and he is happy to get it all through for me today - sounds good right?

Wrong!

In order to get a 'Q' registration, the DVLA now have to generate a new VIN.

This new VIN must be stamped on the chassis and the old VIN has to be ground out!

Now, while I have no problem whatsoever getting a 'Q' Reg - I have a very, very big problem having my brand new chassis number ground out and a new one stamped in - it will make the car look like it's been stolen and recovered!

What the nora is that all about!

I have asked them to hold on while I find the V5 of the donor I used (to maybe change tack and go age related)- either that or I need to "buy" a new gearbox and "magically" refurb my engine to as new - then go through IVA again.

I really have no words to describe how I feel about this!

• Like 1

As someone who has been on the receiving end of when the DVLA continually get it wrong, I feel your pain.

Were you applying for a Q or an age related plate? Sorry if there's an earlier thread detailing all this that I've missed.

They got arsey about mine when it went for MOT after a long period SORN, turned out the VIN didn't match the VIN of the donor and the plate was from the donor.

They asked for photos of the Westfield VIN and the engine number, I sent these by email and it was all sorted out within a few weeks, they changed the VIN on the V5 to match the one on the car (even though it's not a "proper" 17 digit VIN).

I don't understand in this case, why they need you to have a new VIN, regardless of the age/status of the vehicle. How can they apply different rules for one?

Ouch, sorry to hear that your misery continues!

Just got off the phone with them again.

Apparently this is all since they shut local offices and brought in rules to be consistent.

I applied for a Q - but had I realised they would want to make my car look like a ringer, I would never have done so!

I now have to write to them and explain what bits came off the donor I used (as I built a Sierra SDV) - but on my original application I put down that the steering and axles were Westfield - as it didn't seem to matter to me and also because part of the drivetrain IS from Westfield!

So now I have to say - "well, no actually, I made a mistake, those bits are from the donor" - so I now look like I'm trying it on!

This sounds awful. I'm about to send my docs off today for my Q plate.... But I'm abit confused by it all to say the least...

This sounds awful. I'm about to send my docs off today for my Q plate.... But I'm abit confused by it all to say the least...

Don't.

Best wait until I resolve this - the factory are on the case too, but Mark is off until next week and he's the expert.

Really?

There's no chance of me getting a donor reg or new reg so surely I have no choice?

Isn't it worth getting the v55/5 and iva doc sent off anyway to see where it gets me? Do I need to send anything else?

Isn't it worth getting the v55/5 and iva doc sent off anyway to see where it gets me? Do I need to send anything else?

Maybe - I might be just getting caught by a 'computer says no' person.

Only saying wait as once you send the forms in, they are in!

I'm awaiting a call from a supervisor - not holding my breath on that one - and the factory are getting involved next week (as this is not something they want for sure!) - so I guess you might as well :)

What a joke! I really hope this gets resolved properly for you, they can't insist you grind a brand new chassis!

sounds wrong to me have you spoke to vosa

sounds wrong to me have you spoke to vosa

VOSA? No, DVLA, several times.

It will be a cold day in hell though before I let anyone take an angle grinder to my chassis!

There's been legislation since 2006 that scrap cars have to be properly depolluted and recycled.  Last owners now receive a 'Certicate of Destruction' if they take their car to an authorised scrappie.  But they don't have to do anything with it!  And there's no penalty if you take it to an unauthorised facilty and don't get the certificate.  it's also still perfectly legal to pretend you've sold your scrap car for cash in the pub to John Smith then abandon it in a layby with impunity.  Nothing surprises me with the DVLA

This has to be plain WRONG, why would it be that you IVA a car under one vin only to have it changed! I would speak with VOSA they were very helpful and knowledgeable when I spoke with them.