Abingdon Track Day 18th July 2014

Dommo

Three videos are going up of my last three outtings. Outting two and three shortened due to loosing some interior trim as the glue had melted in the heat. I think my car is trying to tell me to put it on a diet.

Videos are 'processing and editing' cause I cut out the boring faff at the start of each.

Mallory is defo in my sightlines though, maybe not yetthough, I need plenty of run off :blush:

Gary looking at your driving you did not need run off, you would enjoy Mallory as its easier to drive a circuit than a coned airfield

we also get a discount from javelin

MSE Events: September Friday 12th Hullavington £109 or October Friday 3rd Hullavington £109?

Some more video of Stuart going quickly:

http://youtu.be/XijXoUIZEoY

The Boxter at about 8m 30s span in front of my son's Z4M presenting himself for a perfect t-bone on that acute left hander before the straight punctuated by the left/right chicane. He wandered up later to thank him for not taking him out - quite a gentleman. He has the Boxter as a fun car and a much more pricey Porsche for normal use, and says he "...farms just down the road...".

Just after you pass him, you catch up with my flared wing green Westfield with aforementioned son in the passenger seat.

All in all the standard of driving I saw was well mannered but with one or two exceptions. Abingdon is a good venue for me as it's barely an hour from home towing a trailer.

MOTCO, you are in one of my videos shot from my own car too. Not sure which though. Will post them up later on but they have all been uploaded so should be easy to find from that link.

I saw the Boxster spin from the paddock. Also saw the silver M3 do the same in the same place in my mirrors!

I've not started going through my videos to see who I met on track. Think it was the complete opposite of last time though as it may well have been only Matt! Oh and Stuart, but then he does lap a bit quicker than the rest of us.

MOTCO, you are in one of my videos shot from my own car too. Not sure which though. Will post them up later on but they have all been uploaded so should be easy to find from that link.

I saw the Boxster spin from the paddock. Also saw the silver M3 do the same in the same place in my mirrors!

Thanks Matt, I'll look out for them. That acute left hander is a bit of a pig until you come to terms with it being as tight as it is. Luckily the big run-out area to the right saves the bacon of many an ambitious driver - me included! That's the nearest I've come to spinning in the dry when I had the original tyres on my car. I bought a set of scrubbed 888s from Tigger a while back and this year is the first time I've tried them. Now I'm scared to turn in fast enough and hard enough to find their limit.  :oops:

MOTCO you should be able to push to the limit on that left hander as you say you are on the run way there, so lots of run off.

888 do not just suddenly let they are progressive so you will feel it break away either understeering or over steer and back end but correction means you just steer to the edge of the run way.

keep pushing until you find that limit :)

Oh not saying I would not spin!

MOTCO you should be able to push to the limit on that left hander as you say you are on the run way there, so lots of run off.

888 do not just suddenly let they are progressive so you will feel it break away either understeering or over steer and back end but correction means you just steer to the edge of the run way.

keep pushing until you find that limit :)

Oh not saying I would not spin!

It's the characteristics of breaking away that I was concerned about. If it is progressive then I shall certainly give that a go. I was able on the old Fuldas that the car came with to keep a neutral-ish throttle and avoid oversteer. More, or less, power and it was away with the spinning tops! Watch this space...

I think most spins on that corner are probably from people tightening it up too much. It does feel like you're driving in the wrong direction for the next corner though!

how was your oil pressure Gary?

I think most spins on that corner are probably from people tightening it up too much. It does feel like you're driving in the wrong direction for the next corner though!

It is tempting to widen it out to the edge of the runway, but that adds a fair bit of distance to the lap with the consequent extra time. I tried, with varying success, to tuck inside the white line with most of the runs, but I did do a Kimi a couple of times. :d Many overtakes I saw done happened there because if you could keep in inside the line, the car ahead will most probably have taken a wider line and by the time you both straightened up the pass was complete without any need for the outside line taker to slow at all. Okay, not strictly according to the rules, but completely safe.

It is tempting to widen it out to the edge of the runway, but that adds a fair bit of distance to the lap with the consequent extra time. I tried, with varying success, to tuck inside the white line with most of the runs, but I did do a Kimi a couple of times. :d Many overtakes I saw done happened there because if you could keep in inside the line, the car ahead will most probably have taken a wider line and by the time you both straightened up the pass was complete without any need for the outside line taker to slow at all. Okay, not strictly according to the rules, but completely safe.

I was following that white GT3 and the line he took was so tight there was no way I could keep with him - incredible handling and grip from that car.  I was invariably slingshotting around that bend and typically used ¾ of the width of the runway.  

Just watched one of my videos where the young ladies driving Daddy's Caterham were first out. It might have been kinder to let them have a go in the car away from the track before sticking them out for some sessions. They seemed to be enjoying it mind you!

Another question for you all: when inviting an overtaking manoeuvre do you indicate right (I.e. The direction you are going to move for the other person) or left? There was a lot of left indicating yesterday!