SDV Starter Kit ordered...

Prawnabie

When I was trying to decide between colours, I did consider going chrome on the new build. With the red, I it would have looked good! But the blue won out in the end, for me, which I thought looked better with black.

When I was trying to decide between colours, I did consider going chrome on the new build. With the red, I it would have looked good! But the blue won out in the end, for me, which I thought looked better with black.

Lovely choice Dave ;)

:d  :db-westy: 

I can't argue with that. Crimson works with the Chrome pack, and I suspect the same would apply to all of the darker colours, but the brighter reds and blues do suit the black trim pack.  Kuga's electric blue and black is a case in point.  

Thanks Mike :d

And for the record, the RED cambelt is long gone :laugh:

I can't argue with that. Crimson works with the Chrome pack, and I suspect the same would apply to all of the darker colours, but the brighter reds and blues do suit the black trim pack.  Kuga's electric blue and black is a case in point.  

That was my train of thought, it was a close run thing between a crimson/chrome colour scheme and an electric blue/black.

In the end, it was interior trim that did it. If I'd had the extra time etc to retrim everything in a shade of upholstery known as tobacco AND could get a pair or new sport turbo seats done to match, I'd have gone red!

Whereas the off-the-shelf black upholstery suited the blue, down to the ground.

Oi you lot, stop the chrome bashing :d

Getting back on topic Shaun, what's your plans for the car, will you be a garage queen, constantly polishing it till you can admire yourself in the cam cover :oops: or is this to be destined for the track where ultimately you will succumb to the disease we all catch which is upgraditus and the desire to make it faster, lighter and more powerful?

:cough: Pink :cough: :laugh:

If we can't chrome bash then I am heading back under my rock ;)

I'm just enjoying the banter!!

I did the quest for speed/lightness with my first LSIS, and as it was partly aluminium I spent a lot of time polishing it!! 

The in-laws live in Spain for most of the year, so I will be planning a few trips over there. Although touring comfort will be high on the list, I don't want to lose speed/handling to excessive weight.

I will be using the Mazda instruments with the SDV dash (so if anyone has one they want to sell let me know!) and will be substituting the chrome for black I'm afraid. It will be pretty much a 'book' build for the time being.

As a side note I must say I'm in awe of the spirit of the forum so far, it makes me so much more confident about the product knowing I have the support of fellow builders as well as the factory.

Shaun

I will be using the Mazda instruments with the SDV dash (so if anyone has one they want to sell let me know!) and will be substituting the chrome for black I'm afraid. It will be pretty much a 'book' build for the time being.

That's the route I took.  The flat dash is good, but I didn't have the confidence to go for it this being my first build, although Guru Smokey has some really useful notes to show you how if you do decide to go that way.  One thing you will need to do if you keep the original instruments is to get a 90 degree adapter for the speedo cable at the gearbox end.  I can help with that later on.

Now that sounds like a great use of it heading to Spain.

I think pretty much most builders have opted for not using the normal Mazda dash, once committed to this option you find yourself having to cut away a lot of scuttle panel and turns out to be quite a pig to get everything to fit right.

Smokey has a full manual on how to go about converting the wiring over to use after market switches and clocks.

You can be assured of a fountain of knowledge from every one on here, and as the small and slightly exclusive MXSDV brigade gets larger irs only going to get better

I'm just enjoying the banter!!

I did the quest for speed/lightness with my first LSIS, and as it was partly aluminium I spent a lot of time polishing it!! 

The in-laws live in Spain for most of the year, so I will be planning a few trips over there. Although touring comfort will be high on the list, I don't want to lose speed/handling to excessive weight.

As a side note I must say I'm in awe of the spirit of the forum so far, it makes me so much more confident about the product knowing I have the support of fellow builders as well as the factory.

Shaun

Sounds like fun!

I used Marks wiring guide for the flat dash option and am glad I did. I have nothing against the use of the Mazda clocks though, when done nicely like Mike has, they look good too. I did not go this way as my donor clocks looked past their best on the circuit boards.

I may well have a flat dash coming available in a couple of months, all you would need is a set of instruments......

One thing you will need to do if you keep the original instruments is to get a 90 degree adapter for the speedo cable at the gearbox end.  I can help with that later on.

if you haven't yet got the clocks then the other option would be to use the dash from a Mk2 MX5 which has an electronic speedo but you'll also need to source the speed sensor from the gearbox which are a bit harder to come by.

stretchy stretchy :oops: