• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Darve's journey from IVA fail to retest

darve

he won't let you make any changes to the seats - has to be tested as presented. This was his arguement when he said the harnesses would be fine if I had turned up with no seats fitted :suspect:  :suspect: :suspect: I said I could take them out if he would be happy with that, but he said it wouldn't be as presented :no:  

If you submit with one seat then that impacts lot's of other things such as brake test and it will be classed as a car with one seat

Right, I feel more educated, thanks for that, gents :t-up:

it took me 6 months to get mine through the emissions test due to he would not accept age of engine letters from rover and engine builder .

I gave up in the end and fitted another engine.

once it passed I got a cert saying smoke only for emissions from then on.

plus guy said I needed a pre 92 engine which was wrong it can be up to 1996  the guys at vosa were much more helpful and seem to know there stuff.

leaving the seat for the time being, I'm putting together a plan for the other fail points

see this thread - any comments welcome  :t-up:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/104180-spot-of-wiring-help/#entry1082970

have managed to bring the restest forward to Tuesday at 3pm :t-up:

set of sports seats now sitting in my garage (thanks Bernie) so will be fitting these tomorrow (tester has confirmed these will be OK re the harnesses but he will be checking they comply on radius and seatback height and headrest width) and sorting out my fog lamp switch wiring, so all systems go for a pass certificate on Tuesday.......... hopefully :oops:

I have printed off the relevant section of the IVA manual so I can be prepared for what measurements he'll perform :suspect:

Could I ask whether its purely an alignment of the belts straight from anchor point to shoulder. The way I saw it during my build is that the belts should ideally not be impeded by seat sides/holes etc but be reasonably straight between the two points. I'm sure there is a drawing somewhere. I recall getting the holes in the seat lined up to suit. Sorry if this is an obvious or repeat thing but it is a safety issue. I'm not making any comment about the retests and over lapping coverage but good luck for the next test on Tuesday. Fingers etc crossed that all will be well.

Bob

will PM you this evening Bob :yes: can't divulge full details on the open forum

Darve

Understood

No problem, I am away until Sunday lunchtime, caravan in the rain, no kids though. Interested to see how this developed and your solution.

Bob

Darve

Understood

No problem, I am away until Sunday lunchtime, caravan in the rain, no kids though. Interested to see how this developed and your solution.

Bob

Sorry Bob - forgot to PM you :down: will get round to it soon - very busy ATM :(

I've got everything crossed for you Dave :) stay dry :oops:

so my final IVA retest is tomorrow (see positive thinking ;) ) so have been busy sorting things out :yes:

unfortunately had to work on Saturday so didn't get any time on the car until the evening and part of Sunday. Saturday night starting with taking the seats out and getting the dash off. would the sterring boss come off - hell no :no: one hub puller borrrowed from Smokey and off it popped :yes: thanks pal. Had the monthly meet on Sunday morning so got to work when I got back so got the dash off and commenced modifying my loom to correct the fog lamp issue. first attempt I made a silly mistake :angry: basically I have the headlight switch trip a relay and then a change over relay controlled by the main beam switch switches between dipped and main beam. yes I took a feed of the dipped headlamp cable from the change over relay. fog light now didn't work with only sidelights on and worked with headlights on. switch to main beam and doh - knew what I'd done straight away :no: few curses later and then spliced into the feed from the healight relay to changeover relay - fog light now works with both dipped and main beam :yes: also fitted a tell-tale lamp in the alternator charging lamp hole as not having a tell-tale was another fail point. used this hole to avoid drilling another hole in the dash and will swapped them back after the test (good idea Mark :t-up: ). wiring behinf the dash is still relatively tidy IMO

20130908_180951_zpsa0f499d7.jpg

next up was the seats. picked up a set or sports seats from Bernie on thursday and offered on up on Saturday night. never easy and the roll bar is in the way of the harness hook :down:

20130907_180714_zps712ed317.jpg

20130907_180658_zpsc3bed36c.jpg

so off comes the roll hoop and a couple of plywood squares made covered in vinyl to make the area look tidy for the tester :oops:

20130909_225850_zps49134334.jpg

have bolted the seat straight to the floor. drilled out what appeared to be a large rivet in fixing plates on the bottom of the seat and then dropped an m8 bolt through from the underside of the seat with a nut nipped up to create an m8 stud (sorry no pic here). here's the passenger seat bolted in. belts look good. drivers side in the morning

20130909_225805_zpse1e0bb46.jpg

such a shame taking in apart only to swap it all back again after the test :o  :laugh:

fingers, toes, legs, arms, ears..... well everything crossed she'll pass tomorrow :t-up:

I've got everything crossed for you Dave :) stay dry :oops:

thanks Mark - picked up waterproof top and trousers from my parents on the way home ??? weather report doesn't look too sad ATM :oops: haven't bothered putting the carpets in under the seats so at least the rain can drain out easily :laugh:

All the best for today Darve, you are due some luck for sure. Just try not to squeal like a big girl when the examiner finally hands over that IVA pass certificate!

Good luck today, hope all goes smoothly for you!