Darve's journey from IVA fail to retest

darve

maybe a silly suggestion but could you not just route the harnesses around the seat rather than through them for the test?

I seem to recall from somewhere that it also depends somehow on if when a person sat in the car the strap would be on their shoulder rather than the seat.

So a seat that looks like it would fail with the strap hitting the seat could pass with a driver seated in it

So a thicker base on the seat could make it pass.  I think the manual has measurements for this.

Probably easier to change the seat though.

Just be careful you don't then get picked up on seat radius

I have some glass fibre shells same as my sprint car or I could remove my westfield race seats from my v8  if needed [passed sva ]

So a thicker base on the seat could make it pass. 

Yes and no.  Becuase you're then seated higher there's a risk that the harness mounting points will then be too low.

please note the inspectors read these posts. and if you are reading this one you are a total jobs worth :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:  

• Like 1

Well let's hope Dave gets a different tester on the 12th. 

Dave, feel sorry for you, I got a bit confused back there, was it only the seat/seat belt that he failed you on?

norm - see post 187

basically I was a good boy and resolved all the fail points from the original iva test at Edmonton but this tester has picked up some new fall points for me to resolve

Will have the same tester next time

thank God the brakes were ok :)

thanks jon - there will be hundreds of cars out there with same set-up and will be more in the future. obviously down to the interpretation of the individual tester :(

what floor have you got fitted to your car looks standard from the height of the seats but I cannot be 100% sure from the pictures.

doesn't  the sport turbo car " type approved"  not have lowered floor which makes the seat sit about 40mm lower 

mine passed a month ago with harnesses and sport turbo seats but had lowered floor

ash

Daft idea time - can you borrow and install two different seat types in the car for the test?  If the drivers side fails and the passenger side one is OK, you can move the passenger side one over, ditch the old drivers side one and remove the passenger side harness, making into a single seater for the test.  If the drivers one is OK but the passenger one isn't, ditch it and the harness for the test.

Or is this just as barking as I am?

what floor have you got fitted to your car looks standard from the height of the seats but I cannot be 100% sure from the pictures.

doesn't  the sport turbo car " type approved"  not have lowered floor which makes the seat sit about 40mm lower 

mine passed a month ago with harnesses and sport turbo seats but had lowered floor

ash

lowered floor :suspect:

Daft idea time - can you borrow and install two different seat types in the car for the test?  If the drivers side fails and the passenger side one is OK, you can move the passenger side one over, ditch the old drivers side one and remove the passenger side harness, making into a single seater for the test.  If the drivers one is OK but the passenger one isn't, ditch it and the harness for the test.

Or is this just as barking as I am?

he won't let you make any changes to the seats - has to be tested as presented. This was his arguement when he said the harnesses would be fine if I had turned up with no seats fitted :suspect:  :suspect: :suspect: I said I could take them out if he would be happy with that, but he said it wouldn't be as presented :no:  

Note to conspiracy theorists please - Davre has asked me to do a bit of moderating and hiding of a few posts in this thread, as there are things happening behind the scenes which may well aid in assisting him get his car through the IVA.

DO NOT PANIC!  No one is censoring your posts!  We're just working together to help Davre.  Thanks. :t-up:

EDIT: I have hidden a number of posts, which once Davre gets things sorted to his satisfaction, will be unhidden and the full thread will be visible again.  In the meantime, please refrain from discussing the legalities of the seat / harness regs and interpretations for Davre's sake! Every one of us want him to pass! :)

Sounds like a really helpful guy......NOT :arse:

If you submit with one seat then that impacts lot's of other things such as brake test and it will be classed as a car with one seat