Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

I have the solution

gunsons-colourchart-2.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I have changed my Avatar - just waiting for it to update - hope you all like it :laugh:

I managed to squeeze in a 30 minute blat tonight, which was great.

The engine is running nicely, and with the increased idle speed that needs sorting out it drives itself in 4th gear at 30mph :laugh:

I did show my heels to a boy racer in a BMW 330ci coming out of a roundabout on a dual track, which made me chuckle when I saw his face, as he was trying his hardest :d

An inspection when I got home shows a slight trace of oil around the front crankshaft oil seal, so I need to have a better look at this, as I fear it may be leaking. Fortunately it is an easy job to change it when you have a cut camcover and exposed timing belt :)

The engine definitely feels more responsive and revvy with the lightened flywheel, it pulls more keenly from lower revs. So my first impressions are that a lightened flywheel was a good upgrade :yes:

Glad to hear it's going well.

I'm itching to get out in mine again, the new steering wheel was just the making of it.

You avatar is a great shape and size, there's nothing new on the car is there?

Must admit that that engine is looking fantastic. I'm amazed at how quick this has all gone, too. :t-up: :t-up:

BTW If the missus starts complaining when I start tarting up cam covers etc, I'm going to blame you!!!

Must admit that that engine is looking fantastic. I'm amazed at how quick this has all gone, too. :t-up: :t-up:

BTW If the missus starts complaining when I start tarting up cam covers etc, I'm going to blame you!!!

Thanks Mike :d

Once I get the bit between my teeth, there is no stopping me!

As for cam-covers - you know you want to anyway

Regarding the high idle speed, I had a little dig around for an hour or so today.

I ran diagnostics, and got error code 9 = Water Thermistor (Engine coolant temperature sensor that feeds back to ECU)

So I got the multimeter out and checked the wiring for continuity from the thermistor back to the ECU - all good.

Started the engine up cold, and pulled the connector off the thermistor - no change in idle speed, and when the engine is cold, it should drop revs when not connected.

So I was leaning towards the thermistor being boogered. I went outside and removed the one from the engine I just pulled and plugged it onto the loom. Restarted the engine and it ran at 1500 rpm, pulled the connector off, and the revs dropped significantly.

So I think the thermistor is goosed. I will drain down the cooling system and change the thermistor, and hopefully this will solve the idle problem.

Work quickly and you don't need to drain the coolant system :oops: just have a rag handy :)

Hhmm, changed the thermistor and the idle is still a bit high :(

Not sure where to go next now :down:

Just some thoughts

Have you adjusted the cam sensor while the engine was apart? Does the base idle need resetting?

What is the timing BTDC?

Chris