• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

haha, somehow I looked at page three and thought it was the last page.... doh!

Sorry for the daft reply!

Made me chuckle :laugh:

Too much torrential rain today to do much :down:

I did manage to get a look at the pulled engine, and it looks like the block needs a skim, as the head has already had a skim

SAM_1220_zps5ced8e4c.jpg

SAM_1224_zps58813aee.jpg

I removed the shortened sump from it

SAM_1225_zps4c88ae1b.jpg

Then cleaned it up and etch primed it

SAM_1226_zpsc8469cac.jpg

I did manage to get a look at the pulled engine, and it looks like the block needs a skim, as the head has already had a skim

Sounds familiar :(

Done some tidying up in the engine bay today, tucking the cables under the chassis rail, instead of being secured to the side of it. Should make for a neater look when the engine is back in

SAM_1229.jpg

SAM_1230.jpg

Then I painted the sump

SAM_1227.jpg

And heat wrapped the exhaust manifold

SAM_1228.jpg

I turned the engine upside down

SAM_1231.jpg

And took the sump off

SAM_1232.jpg

Cleaned up the plate, and fitted the shortened oil pick up pipe, lots of sealant

SAM_1235.jpg

And the shortened sump fitted

SAM_1236.jpg

Finally the exhaust manifold fitted to the engine

SAM_1237.jpg

I have been promised the lightened flywheel will be delivered first thing in the morning, If it arrives, I may well be able to fit the engine during the day.

Looking very nice, Gary. Good job! Like the little flash of Dulux "Definitely not pink" under the cut down cam cover..... :p

How easy is it to get the sump off? does it take much prying to release once the bolts are off? Just thinking how awkward it will be with the car on stands or if an inspection pit is needed when I try this later on.

Mooch - the sump comes of fairly easy, pry it on the rear corners first is what I did.

I had to take a bit of time seperating the sump from the oil pan baffle (big plate) you see under the pick up pipe after initial loosening before the sump came free. Time and patience is the key.

It was nice and easy stood up with the engine upside down too :d

The higher you can get the car the better IMO if you are going to lay on your back though. I did pop a sump off the car when I had it on axle stands during the build, so you should be ok.

Dont forget you will need the new rubber seals at the front and back of the sump

• Like 1

Mooch - the sump comes of fairly easy, pry it on the rear corners first is what I did.

I had to take a bit of time seperating the sump from the oil pan baffle (big plate) you see under the pick up pipe after initial loosening before the sump came free. Time and patience is the key.

It was nice and easy stood up with the engine upside down too :d

The higher you can get the car the better IMO if you are going to lay on your back though. I did pop a sump off the car when I had it on axle stands during the build, so you should be ok.

Dont forget you will need the new rubber seals at the front and back of the sump

Thanks, Gary.

Mike, i've one mine a couple of times while laid on my back under the car. As Gary says the hardest bit is normally splitting the baffle plate from the sump as it wants to try and come out at the same time. Initially breaking the silicone seal to get you enough room to allow you to get a pry bar in can also sometimes be a pain also.

The first time i did mine it was only on axle stands front and rear, the second time i had it parked on the trailer.

And again dont forget to fit new half moon gaskets :)

is it my eyesight or have you painted the bottom of your sump pink as well? :oops::d

SAM_1225_zps4c88ae1b.jpg

is it my eyesight or have you painted the bottom of your sump pink as well? :oops::d

SAM_1225_zps4c88ae1b.jpg

And what is that other piece of PINK!!!! in the photo.....it's bodywork isn't it........don't deny it..........we'll get you, Penelope Pitstop!!!!!

the shortened sump looks a very neat job :yes:

It is a very nice sump ;)