Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

You can test the operation of the fan from the diag connector by linking between GND and TFA. If it runs ok then next step is to test the thermo switch. I wont type it all out, but the method of testing that, the fan and relay is all in section 6 of Rod's.

As for the rest, TADS :) my dials steam up when they get the hot engine warming up the air behind the dash on a cold day. I still get stuck in a McDonalds drivethru as I can't make the corners :d My front indicators err, well fell off as they were cracking the gel coat so I fitted something smaller :)

Thanks Mark - I will get Rods manual out over the weekend :yes:

TADS? what the devil you on about ?

Maccers Drive through - can you reach the window? :laugh:

Indicators sounds like one of the first upgrades :p

My heads full of useless sh*te like that :d :d :d :d

Bit out of sync here please ignore

TADS? what the devil you on about ?

Sorry, crappy keyboad and the T didn't work. TADTS = they all do that sir :t-up:

Maccers Drive through - can you reach the window? :laugh:

No, I have to stand up :d but it's quite funny doing it to see the expression of Johnny no stars face :d

TADS = They all do that sir!

I told you how to avoid fogging earlier!

But looking great, so pleased for you, nearly there mate!

TADS = They all do that sir!

I told you how to avoid fogging earlier!

But looking great, so pleased for you, nearly there mate!

Thanks, feeling very pleased with myself tonight!

You did tell me the cure for fogging, so I know what to do, but did not know if i had a problem ???

Sorry, crappy keyboad and the T didn't work. TADTS = they all do that sir :t-up:

No, I have to stand up :d but it's quite funny doing it to see the expression of Johnny no stars face :d

I can just picture it, I will have to try it when I am road legal!

I decided to take a morning off from the car and go for a game of golf. It proved to be a good choice as I beat my personal best by two shots and carded a gross 75 :d

This afternoon I started on the geo set up, and I am about halfway through it. Ride height and cambers sorted, toe in/outs still to do, which I hope to crack tomorrow.

Well I have completed the GEO set up the best I can. I dont think it is too far off, but I intend to make a visit to Troy @ Northampton Motorsport (just got to chisel him on price a bit first :p ) as soon as I can when I am IVA'd and registered to get it sorted out properly

I also fitted the IVA steering rack covers whilst the lower ball joints were undone today.

I checked the cooling fan using the diagnostics and this works ok. Next I checked the relay - all good. So I think it must be the sender. Another job to try and squeeze in this coming week.

I then started having a look at fixing the seat runners, and have drilled the holes on the drivers side floor.

I managed to get the drivers seat sorted out tonight, it just needs bolting in now.

I also drained the car of coolant and removed the cooling fan switch. I am not sure if the switch is faulty or not! I am currently in pm discussion with smokey trying to sort it out.

VOSA received my paperwork today for the IVA test, and were promptly on the phone wanting there cash before they could process the application, so I coughed up and they have passed the paperwork onto the team to process it prior to sending off to the testing station.

I need to resolve the cooling fan issue this week as I am taking it out on Saturday for pre MOT

Gary

My cooling fan didn't work either during my build.

Now the only thing I could possibly put it down to was that during the removal of the air conditioning system wiring I had removed a link from the a/c to the main fan.

On the eunos with A/C it had 2 fans, the main fan which you use on the westfield, and a smaller fan for the air con next to it. when the external temps are high and the A/C is switched on, the car use to use both of the cars fan to keep air moving over the A/C condenser.

I figured that some where along the line I had removed a wire that I shouldn't of. As the ECU controlled the cooling fan I could no longer get it to work.

In the end I bypassed the cars one and fitted a more basic system with a sparate fan switch and a new relay.

Thanks Rick

I think between smokey and I we have hopefully resolved it.

After some checking last night, I discovered I had chopped a cable by the ECU which runs to the fan switch during strip out. Dont know why it happened, it might have been because at the start of the stripping the wiring loom I was working on 1993 diagrams until dicrepancies arose, and subsequently discovered that actually my car was a 1994, so I then started using the right diagrams.

Anyway, fortunately the cable I chopped off by the ECU was left long enough the be able to connect to and run a fresh cable to the fan switch, which I plan to do tonight. Then it will be fill it back up with coolant and see what happens, hopefully it will sort it out.

If not, I might be asking you how you wired in your fan switch!

Fingers crosses its a simple as that :)

Nope, no different.

Remove the wired plug from the fan switch and the fan runs, plug it on and it stops.

I let the eingine go to 105C on the gauge and still no fan.

How did you wire in another switch Rick? I think this may be an easier option now

Thanks Rick - I have replied :t-up: