Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

I had already put the battery on charge before leaving the garage last night.

I have had a full day in the garage today. When I got in the garage this morning, the battery was still charging, so I decided to swap the cam cover over :d :d :d

SAM_0656.jpg

After that, I whipped the front wheels off and investigated why the cycle wing indicators were not working. I decided to cut the connections previously made and redo them, which solved the problem, so all 6 flashers now work, and the flasher relay mod has worked as they flash at a nice rate.

Battery was still charging, so I got the harnesses out and laid them in for a look

SAM_0657.jpg

SAM_0658.jpg

The battery was now fully charged, so back on the car with it and back to sorting out the wiring problem.

Some pm's with the guru last night established that I had probably wired in the diode for the charge light the wrong way round, a quick check proved him to be right again :yes: . I turned it round to the correct way, and the car roared into life :t-up:

I was not out out of the woods though, as the charge light was not lighting up at all. I checked the lamp across the battery and it was fine. To cut the story to the chase, everything is sorted now and the wiring is complete - such a relief :) What was the problem? Well after several pm exchanges with Mr Westfield and fault finding tasks, it was established to be the alternator. Fortunately when I purchased the second engine months ago, it had got an alternator on it. So out into the garden store to retrieve it, and then to test it in a temporary arrangement, and it cured the problem.

So I have swapped it over - it was a pig of a job, I really struggled to get my hands in to get at it, and then struggled for ages to wiggle the old one out and the new one in.

Now knowing that the wiring was complete, I went back to the dashboard and stripped out the remaining redundant wiring, and have now got it tucked away and the dashboard is in position for fixing.

I also removed the red "condoms" from the VDO backlights, to get a nicely matched white backlighting

SAM_0662.jpg

Next I decided to let the engine run for a while. So I put a gallon of petrol into the tank, and the fuel gauge moved up :t-up: , and let it tickover for about 10 minutes.

Everything is working including the temperature gauge.

SAM_0663.jpg

SAM_0664.jpg

I finished off by putting the boot box in and fixed it on the sides as per the build manual instructions. Next will be the roll bar.

I guess I need to seriously start thinking about booking the IVA test now :oops:

Not been tempted to take it round the block? ;)

Good work Gary, not much left now!

Not been tempted to take it round the block? ;)

Good work Gary, not much left now!

It crossed my mind today, but no front suspension and nothing is tight yet. Also living more or less opposite Thames Valley Police HQ is a slight hindrance!

Did you run it up hot enough to get the fan to kick in?

Put some flourescent yellow chequers on it, you'll blend right in ;)

Did you run it up hot enough to get the fan to kick in?

No, I need to get it outside and let it run for a while. it was getting a bit fumey in the garage

Put some flourescent yellow chequers on it, you'll blend right in ;)

LOL - I suppose I could work on the theory that they wont be able to catch me anyway!

Yesterday I started on the RAC rollbar/bootbox, and carried on with a bit more tonight.

So far I have got the main rollbar fixing holes sorted and the bootbox cut out around the baseplate.

I have also gone for it and done one cutout through the bootbox for the stay. I am going to trim this with some U-Trim and see how it looks, If I dont like it, I may well try and do something with some black wastepipe.

SAM_0665.jpg

I will get the other one cut out first, then decide on how to finish off.

Do you mean fit half pipe to them outside of the boot box to kind of make it sealed. I've been considering how to do this and that's one of the potential options I've come up with. Probably more feasible than me getting the trimming tight enough for a bit of trim to seal it though!

Do you mean fit half pipe to them outside of the boot box to kind of make it sealed. I've been considering how to do this and that's one of the potential options I've come up with. Probably more feasible than me getting the trimming tight enough for a bit of trim to seal it though!

Yes Dommo - that is what I meant.

I am going for these - abbeya had some left and posted a set to me today - I found them after using the search function :t-up:

ToThis-1.jpg

I completed all the cut outs for the rollbar and seat harnesses tonight in the bootbox, So I tightened all the rear suspension wishbones at the chassis end and fitted the rollbar excluding the stays. Need to have a bit of a wipe down around the rear end now (ooo-eer) before finally fitting the bootbox and rollbar stays.

SAM_0671.jpg

SAM_0672.jpg

I also called into a local car servicing/MOT tester today to see how receptive they would be. Turned out to be a top bloke, and is refurbing an MG himself, so was keen to help with the Westfield. I left having made an appointment for 8am on Saturday 24th March for a bit of MOT work - Headlights, Brakes and Emissions mainly, as well as a genetral look over.

Time to get moving now :oops::westy:

post #526 picture one look B-)

post #526 picture one look B-)

You like the camcover?

yeah, and the rest of the engine bay :)

what did you do to the cover? clean up and paint?

Glass beaded and then powder coated for £24 at a local powder coating company - absolute bargain :t-up: