Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

I personally would not, it is highly flammable/expolsive and in a confined space (such as a closed bobble throtty) it will be contained so a risk of damaging it.

I would clean the throtty bobble with it first, let it dry off (wont take long) and then fire it up.

I assume the purpose is simply to clean your flap :love:

I am thinking about spraying carb cleaner into the idle control valve air feed (about 20mm diameter underneath the main throttlebody butteryfly) with the engine running

Wear gloves and goggles as a precaution - its fookin flammable - wont burn but will go bang

Did you do the search around all the air inlet stuff with WD 40 yet?

An air leak will cause a high idle and this is one way of finding it - but again - be careful - its flammable - not like carb cleaner but still take care as its a pressurised container and you do NOT want to surprise yerself if it pops and then drops into the cambelt etc

Extreme I know but its just me trying to help and not wanting to cause you any harm if you are new to this :)

Just swap the valve over with the other one and be done with it?

The only other thing I can think of right now is the neutral switch but you haven't swapped the box so it's unlikely

Dommo

I have been comparing throttle bodies tonight, and was thinking I may just swap them over complete and see what happens ;)

I have cracked it :d :d

As in fixed ??? Or you got frustrated and dived in with the wrecking bar :d

Go on then what was it?

It must have been the idle control valve on the bottom of the throttle body, not 100% sure though.

To cure the problem I just swapped the throttle body over for a different one, and now it is purring at 900 rpm :d

I may take the dodgy TB apart someday ???

• 3 weeks later...

My new oil filler cap has arrived, so I have now painted the lettering on the camcover and fitted the oil cap :d

SAM_1258.jpg

nice :t-up:

Wot, not pink? ;)

smart.

Wonder what it'll look like after a couple of thousand miles?

I glass beaded my cam cover and picked out the FORD in blue. It looked good then but is dirty and crap now.

Scott, if, like me, you look at it with rose tinted spectacles it does look pink.

Yeah, bit annoyed myself on that front; the cam cover I had powdercoated about eighteen months ago has gone badly orange peely on one side from heat. (I used a localish company that were recommended to me). My other cam cover - done by Andy at Cat Motorsport/Tripple S was in near perfect condition after six years when I took it off. It'll be back to Andy next time, even if it is a three hour round trip.

Time will tell I guess, but it looks nice at the moment :cool: