Applecross 2012

ziplob

Yep another epic Applecross weekend, with absolutely stunning sunshine as verified by my sunburned napper. I think I bore the brunt of the abuse this year with my Westy failing to make it due to a leaking thermostat housing and turning up with my Cooper S instead! Ziplob was his usual to the point self when he said "we'll let you come in the Mini if you let us cut the fu**ing roof aff it!" The only casualty this year was my windscreen which was cracked by a Tiger on the road home. I'll wait til my insurer asks "how the hell?" before I mention the Tiger was of the 4 wheeled rather than 4 legged variety.

I will post some pics later tonight including one of a world famous rap star who joined us in camp McWesty on Saturday night

Had a great weekend, top class company , beautiful scenery and great roads.

Roll on next year!

Yep another epic Applecross weekend, with absolutely stunning sunshine as verified by my sunburned napper. I think I bore the brunt of the abuse this year with my Westy failing to make it due to a leaking thermostat housing and turning up with my Cooper S instead! Ziplob was his usual to the point self when he said "we'll let you come in the Mini if you let us cut the fu**ing roof aff it!" The only casualty this year was my windscreen which was cracked by a Tiger on the road home. I'll wait til my insurer asks "how the hell?" before I mention the Tiger was of the 4 wheeled rather than 4 legged variety.

I will post some pics later tonight including one of a world famous rap star who joined us in camp McWesty on Saturday night

Who could that be?????

Absolutely brilliant weekend - can we book for next year now? :) Amazingly, the rain even stayed off all the way back. Only slight issue was this bl**dy Mini that kept following me with a camera on the front - even when I started overtaking rows of cars on the road over Rannoch Moor (thanks Dean :d ). When I arrived home, everyone remarked that it was good to see me with a 'whole' head this year. I then stood up under the bathroom cabinet when the door was open and split my head! Still, it isn't as sore as the sunburn.

Thanks to everyone for a fantastic couple of days. You couldn't find a nicer bunch of people to spend time with.

Roll on next year and I hope Rab can join us this time.

Matt

ps - My photos are up to my usual standard (cr*p), so I look forward to seeing everyone elses.

IMG_1732.jpg

Well, what a fantastic weekend, if we had listen to the weather man then we would have missed the only dry patch in the country. Couldn't have asked for better company, great bunch of folk and the meal at the Applecross Inn was to die for.

Team photo at top of the pass on Friday,

IMG_1657.jpg

Few of the Cars at Loch Carron

IMG_1629.jpg

Couple of photos from Saturday Morning at Camp McWesty, there were a couple of rough folk :o

IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

Clan McWesty at the Applecross Inn,

IMG_1713.jpg

Matta enjoying his dinner,

IMG_1721.jpg

IMG_1719.jpg

And a few of the cars throughtout the weekend.

IMG_1639.jpg

IMG_1655.jpg

IMG_1675.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

IMG_1703.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg

Again, a brilliant weekend, with no fuel pumps or other mechanic issues and thoughly looking forwards to next year.

Kev

Link to album with more photos, http://photobucket.com/applecross-2012

home safe well done everyone fantastic weekend full report soon ?? we got past by all the enforcement agents and thought oh no the pumps been in a bump ., or the roof had came off the minjy. 361 sleeps till the next one.

Thought I'd go home via Crieff, but unfortunately some poor biker made a mess of the corners just out side of Lochearnhead, hence all the blue lights you guys saw, after waiting for about 20 minutes I decided a 10 point turn was in order on the very narrow road, so I came home via Callander and I guess I was behind you all.

Another spectacular Applecross many thanks to all involved in the organisation and to everyone who was there for making it such a great weekend. Thinking of putting the Hood on Pistonheads tonight as I don’t think I will be able to enjoy it any more than I did this weekend 504 miles covered, so 653 since IVA passed.

Thanks agian

Angus

img1657k.jpg

Fantastic event - well done chaps. Time to start writing up the full story for Westfield World.

Rory's Dad

I'll need to break this post into small sections as the site doesn't allow too many pics in one post....

Just as the forecast had predicted, we awoke on Friday morning to heavy rain. It got worse on the drive to Stirling, where Bob, Matt & Al in their Westys, Ray in his Sonic 7 and myself in my Mini (as my Westy thermostat housing gave up the ghost the night before), met up and made our way to Kilmahog and the next meeting point, to find the weather had thankfully cleared up.

DSC_0888Medium.jpg

DSC_0889Medium.jpg

Then onto the the final pickup point at the Green Welly where we met up with the support van and a couple of non Westy drivers

DSC_0891Medium.jpg

As anyone who read the Applecross 2011 thread will know, Matta has an un-natural attraction to trees and loves to wrap his Westy and himself around them at any opportunity. To celebrate his love, Jumpy then presented Matt “the pump” with a sticker to fix under his rear lights, to declare his love to the world. You’ll notice the official “Applecross 2012” was also made in Matts honour :d

DSC_0907Medium.jpg

We then made for our loch side lunch point at the Onich hotel

DSC_0901Medium.jpg

DSC_0903Medium.jpg

Some doubted the sun would last til the end of lunch

DSC_0904Medium.jpg

Literally 30 seconds after we arrived, 4 fighter jets flew down the loch chasing each other, spiralling through the sky, looped back and gave the Westys another fly past, an amazing sight all organised by wing commander Bob Ziplob Reid apparently. :yes:

DSC_0902Medium.jpg

Then it was time to head northwards and by the time we reached Fort William the sky was blue, the sun was shining, the temperature hit 19.5 degrees and we had a lot of sweaty people in rainsuits sitting in Westfields, i even had to switch on the aircon in the Mini :p

DSC_0913Medium.jpg

DSC_0005Medium.jpg

When we reached the start of the famous Bealach na Bà,I went on ahead to wait at the 2nd of the alpine hairpins for the guys to blast up the mountain, where the views and the noise of the other Westys hammering up the mountain was absolutely incredible. I could hear the noise of the cars booming through the mountain valley 2 or 3 minutes before they appeared.

DSC_0930Medium.jpg

DSC_0953Medium.jpg

DSC_0955Medium.jpg

DSC_0969Medium.jpg

DSC_0970Medium.jpg

DSC_0967Medium.jpg

DSC_0964Medium.jpg

• Like 1