Donor done, build started

Dommo

Well done Dom :t-up: finally there :)

It's very unusual to be given the number from the Donor, normally they allocate a new number with the age prefix of the donor. Just make sure when you get it that the V5C says Westfield :oops: they've been known to get it wrong :bangshead:

• Like 1

I think I might check to see what it says on the tax disc later!

Yup, says Westfield on the tax disc too. The plate on the MX5 wasn't 'non transferable' so I suppose it could be reused.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, a brief update then onto the upgrades!

The registration doesn't seem correct - it's like the MX5 has been re-registered with Westfield details rather than being a new car in it's own right. I have to send the V5 back to the DVLA with a covering letter.

The engine is still leaking coolant. Well it's leaking from the pipe at the bottom of the header tank so that might get replaced with silicone but it's also leaking from above the oil pressure switch which suggests the block needs skimming. The head was skimmed on the rebuild so the block must not be quite flat.

So onto the first upgrade, I opted for the perspex wind deflectors from Westfield. I knew you could get them on ebay, but I decided that with my 10% discount and still having to get the hinges from Westfield anyway I might as well get it all from one place. Ordered on Tuesday, arrived on Wednesday.

P8290111_s.jpg

So you get two pieces of bent perspex, some hinges, some nuts, washers and bolts. You also get two rubber pads that can be riveted on but I decided not to use these.

First up, remove the IVA covers and fit the hinges into hinges onto the windscreen pillars. The bottom ones were quite tight and required a little persuasion which they duly received.

P8290113_s.jpg

I held up the deflector to the hinges lining one of the folds up with the bottom of the scuttle. After marking the position of the brackets I could drill the holes et voila.

P8290115_s.jpg

P8290117_s.jpg

I like how they're reasonably invisible from the frontal view

P8310120_s.jpg

They also don't distort the view of the mirror

P8310122_s.jpg

Lastly, I put some spare IVA friendly trim on the bottom to stop them marking the bodywork if they moved or vibrated slightly

P8310121_s.jpg

They work surprisingly well. Harness slap is greatly reduced and breathing above 80mph is suddenly possible again. They don't remove the wind altogether of course, the hair still gets dressed! I'd say it's more like how the MX5 was with the roof down and windows down.

That will probably do for now. I'm starting to plan out any winter upgrades (keeping in mind the engine will be coming out). From driving the car I think I need more power - it doesn't seem to accelerate quickly enough in 3rd gear.

Not good on the water leak, why is it never an easy fix! :cry:

I would ask how you you know it does not accelerate fast enough in third, have you verified the what you feel against the speedo? ;)

The mazda engine likes it's revs and can feel a bit flat if driven below 3000rpm. Mine is at its best between 4-5k which is where the torque comes in. Don't be afraid to rev it hard to get the best from the engine :cool:

powercurve.gif

If you're getting more power I'm getting more power!

It is the Swindon power race. How long before I need to get the high compression pistons to keep up?

Not good on the water leak, why is it never an easy fix! :cry:

I would ask how you you know it does not accelerate fast enough in third, have you verified the what you feel against the speedo? ;)

I feel it could do with overtaking cars on NSL roads a bit easier. I'm sure my 328 dispatches cars quicker...

The mazda engine likes it's revs and can feel a bit flat if driven below 3000rpm. Mine is at its best between 4-5k which is where the torque comes in. Don't be afraid to rev it hard to get the best from the engine :cool:

I've certainly noticed the weight loss from the MX5. There I hills I can get up at 2k rpm in 5th whilst still being able to increase speed whereas I'd be screwed in the 5! This is overtaking from 50-55 where dropping it to 2nd wouldn't net me much. I'm sure I'm starting at something like 3.5-4k. Might go for a drive and check!

It is the Swindon power race. How long before I need to get the high compression pistons to keep up?

I call a Syrian style truce in the arms war. You all stop. I'll quietly carry on.

At the higher speeds you'll very much be fighting the aero disadvantage that a westield with a screen has compared to the more slipery shape of your tin top. It still wont be slow, but in my car 60-90 takes almost twice as long as 0-60 so choosing the revs you change at can be a lot more important.

So far in sprints the only circuit i have ever used 5th and seen my cars maximum top speed has been castle combe, everywhere else i tend to stay in 4th.

You can see in the vid how quickly 60 comes up but 60-90 takes most of the length of the straight.

Edit: fitting doors and wind deflectors should help matters as it improves the flow of air from the screen past the cockpit.

When ate you next sprinting at Castle Combe? Dom and I were there back in March watching some! What's top speed at CC anyhow? At the Action Day I think fellow club members were topping out at 120 odd.