• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Picked up my car!

Stevemarsh

Sorry about the trouble you have had If you do stick with it the westy will reward you in spades.

However i am sure in this case (second hand cars) the law says that you have to give the origonal seller chance to fix the car. Quite plainly the car had some major faults before you got it and the onus is on the garage to fix it. But its the garage that holds all the cards here. They could say bring it back and we will fit a new engine (as this it there obligation) but if you get it fixed else where i.e. NHM the garage could quite easily (and rightly) wash there hands of it and offer you nothing, especially if its a hefty bill.

Dont go jumping in expecting the origonal garage to offer you money, hold on and wait until you have something in writing.

Very good point there!!!!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stevemarsh

• Captain Colonial

• Mark (smokey mow)

• bioman

Sorry to hear of your woes.

Personally I would look very very hard at returning the car and shopping again.  There are some real cracking cars available for not alot more than you have paid.

You could always ebay or post on here your carbs to get some of the money back.

You seem to be getting into some quite costly upgrades. Upgrading the car is always more expensive than buying the spec at the outset and you will not get much of the money back if you sell compared to buying a newer / better spec car to start with that will have all the bits you want but has already depreciated.

If you have £3k available for upgrades then you have a budget of £8.5k for a car which would get a cracking car.

such as

http://boardroom.wscc.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=9;t=91991;

Don't forget the overall cost of a car is not what you pay for it but what you spend on it and then get back if / when you sell it. Sometimes the more expensive upfront car may be the cheaper to run in the long run.

NMS have a good reputation but at the end of the day they are a business to make money and have to cover overheads. Your bill will add up quickly. As an example dyno time is £90 / hr + VAT

If you are on a udget, with cars like Westfields best if you can do some of the work yourself. Also a sense of satisfaction.

I'm not there but I'm sure if you go along to the WSCC trackday this Friday  you will get a feel for other cars and someone will take you out to get some Westfield fix.

David

Thanks for everyone's advise and comments.

NMS have stared the work to make the car great again! At this point in the saga, I just want to trust somebody and enjoy the car, the dealer who I bought the car says what he thinks I should do, and that it would be easy to stick a new engine in etc.. Although I've only met Troy and Steve a couple of time, I trust what they are saying 100% and trust in their work. I honestly believe they have my best interests at heart, and even again today, I asked about a quote for new shocks etc, and although they would happily fit what ever I want, Troy told me to get the car back, enjoy it for a bit and then start looking at other bits I may like to upgrade. What garage gives good advise like that!! So that just reconfirmed the desion that I had already made.

The work is underway and hope to pick up car with shiney newly built engine the week commencing the 5th September. I really can't wait to get my car back and start enjoying it at last!

Thanks again for all the advice and more so the recommendation of Northampton Motor Sport - very refreshing garage experience.

Hope to meet you all soon.

Steve

Glad you are making progress

You could come and see the speed series guys at Thoresby Park over weekend of 17th/18th sept

OK Steve, understand and respect your decision.  I think I speak for everyone here in wishing you the best and hoping your car is back on the road and putting a smile on your face very soon indeed.

Having bought what I thought was the most unreliable Westy out there at the beginning of the year I can honestly say my problems werent quite as bad, however the one saving grace is that when you get the car back, the grin on your face will be with you for a while.

The best advice I can give, and it shadows NMS, is get the car back on the road, get used to it, have fun with whats left of the summer :p , then decide what you want to change on the car.

I would also recommend meeting up with some other club members and seeing their cars. I have only been at one outing with mines, and yes it does look dated compared with the newer ones, but I handles just the same and even though its a Pinto engined car can keep up with the best of them.

Best of luck and hope the rebuild is successful and you get some use of the car shortly.

Fraser

OK Steve, understand and respect your decision.  I think I speak for everyone here in wishing you the best and hoping your car is back on the road and putting a smile on your face very soon indeed.

Thanks very much , see you soon.

Good luck Steve with the motor :t-up:

I managed a trackday before my probs started with my new car :down:

I trailered the westy to NMS on saturday and they sussed my probs down to the s***e ARB thats on the car.

The car is going back there once ive done the repairs for a new AND correct ARB.. and a set-up.!!

Im very happy with the crew at NMS...both on the phone and in person and it takes a lot to please me.

Also in the car park i met a fello westy owner with probs on a NEW car..which they have sorted.!!

He has a duratec with spec same as mine and is on this forum...so hello to Rob  :t-up:

cheers Jon

• 3 weeks later...

Update!

Was hoping to get car back Monday/Tuesday, now will be next Saturday, as the silicon hose company let NMS down this week but will all be ready by end of week.

Just another week to go!

Steve

Very pleased for you, bet you're like a kid at Christmas time!

So it's going to be another week now  :(  but sounds like it's going to be well worth the wait!  :D

The suspense is killing me... Fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, does anyone know how steves got on, I've read all the posts and wish himm well from one new owner to another.

Hi, was hoping to get car early this week. It's going to be the end of the week now I think. NMS keep finding other bits that don't work that need fixing/replacing. Had a chat with Troy today, just doing last bits now, it's been on the dyno today to be ran in and hopefully all tuned up to perfection Wednesday/Thursday. I kinda feel glad that I purchased this car now, so nobody else had this misfortune. it's been all very overwhelming and I really didn't know what to do for the best, but almost there now, fingers crossed for nice weather this weekend!

As I nearly bought this car (was on my way to view it when told it was sold) thanks. but I wouldn't wish you the bad luck you've had. Hopefully you will live the dream and this weekend and drive into the sunset all warm putting the past month behind you. \enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!