• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Picked up my car!

Stevemarsh

Hi,

Collected my car and drove the 165 miles home! Missed all the rain apart from about 5 mins worth.  Car is amazing. Few little (I hope) jobs to do. Seems to be oil dripping from front of car when I checked it just before bed! Could this be with the 3-4 hour drive down motorway? Should I be concerned. The underneath of engine seems a little dirty and oily anyway. Put this down to being an old car.  All paper work says a 5 speed sierra gear box, I can only find 4 forward gears. Top left seems to be reverse, then 1st (I think) is down to left then up to the right of reverse 2nd etc. Right indicators back and front not working and bonnet clips keep un clipping! Think it would be worth getting oil leak checked out first.  Is it normal for them to drop oil?

Thanks

Steve

Ps how do I post a photo of my car?!?!?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stevemarsh

• Captain Colonial

• Mark (smokey mow)

• bioman

Congratulations, did really well missing the rain as much as that  :D  :t-up:

Many of us like to think of our cars as self rust proofing to some degree  ;)

(Some engines are worse than others, some are even leak free  :oops: ) what's in yours?

The Sierra Type 9 five speed box is

R-1-3-5

-- 2-4 --

Or the later MT75 is, (IIRC)

1-3-5

2-4-R

Its the 2.1 pinto,

Just about to go see if it starts up again!! I'll have another fiddle with gears!

welcome - get your bonnet catches sorted out first

it is a fairly common occurrence of bonnets flying 30 foot in the air due to people forgetting to do up the latches

tis guesswork but it  a type 9 would be a very common fitment on a pinto / sounds like you have not found 1st yet ?

with regards to oil leaks / not sure how yours is vented but I would be checking on the oil catch tank if it has one

photobucket is free and easy to use for your photos

Welcome! Can't add much to the above, but Cleggy is right, bonnet catches first, you do not want to join that club, very expensive. If you have the classic chrome bonnet catches, you'll find there are small holes that run horizontally level through the catch.  These are for R clips that stop the catch opening accidentally.  They are easily taken off and then lost or forgotten, and the next thing you know, your bonnet takes flight.  Get some R clips from your local motor factor, online from Demon Tweeks or Europa Car Spares, and until then, use a long thin nail to keep the catches closed.

Steve I see you are not to far from me in Oundle, I have R clips if needs be, but some catches do not have this facility. Oil leaks to a degree are accepted especially in older engines, but some are worse and in a more concerning areas that others. Clean it all up, then observe where it comes from.

The 4 speed type E and 5 speed type 9 are a similar layout but the boxes are different visually, so should be able to identify. Selecting gears can sometimes be no more than needing some washers to shim the remote stick.

Regards,

Mark

Found 1st!! Wheel spin city!!

The oil is leaking most of the time, seems to stop after I've stopped driving for about 3-4 hours. Also noticed this afternoon that the temperature dial was staying around 90-100 yesterday now today it's up in the 140s, but seems to come down and go up very quickly. Should I just assume it doesn't work very well. Around the town I always switch the manual fan on. Don't know if I should be worrying about all these things or just accepting this is how it is!!!!

Is anyone down Northampton way that wouldn't mind me driving over for someone to take a look?

Steve I see you are not to far from me in Oundle, I have R clips if needs be, but some catches do not have this facility. Oil leaks to a degree are accepted especially in older engines, but some are worse and in a more concerning areas that others. Clean it all up, then observe where it comes from.

The 4 speed type E and 5 speed type 9 are a similar layout but the boxes are different visually, so should be able to identify. Selecting gears can sometimes be no more than needing some washers to shim the remote stick.

Regards,

Mark

Hi, how far away are you? Would you mind me coming to bother you for a few mins if your free at some point?

should be worrying about all these things or just accepting this is how it is!!!!

Don't assume everything is ok until you know the car properly or have fully investigated and discounted there being problems.  It could simply be a minor electrical issue or faulty gauge/sender but likewise it may just as easily be a sign of something far more serious.  

The Cambs lads are a friendly bunch, hopefully one of them may be able to look over the car with you. :t-up:

• 2 weeks later...

So not the best of luck so far. Day 1, battery flat, purchased new one.

Day 2, went for drive, stopped for drink and car wouldn't start again. The breakdown company said it was the coil.

Day 3, replaced coil pack, still no joy.

Day 4, had car recovered to Northampton Motorsport, the electric ignition box is burnt out and distributor very I'll.

Currently waiting for new distributor with built in ignition to arrive at NMS, various gaskets and leaks being sorted, having new webber 45,s fitted as various issues with the 40's that it came with-bits were welded together, held on with brackets and link broken.

Spent the afternoon at NMS cleaning all the oil off car. There was a lot!!

Just want car back now! Only had it 3 days!!!!!

Worst bit, took the week off work to drive car, now sat at home just waiting to be fixed!

P.s- NMS are amazing people.

Steve

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but NMS seem to be highly regarded, so you should have no trouble with the bits they have done, though there will probably still be some tinkering to do once you do get to drive it more.

Hopefully we'll see you at a Cambridge Area meet soon.

Gets worse,

NMS started car and put on dyno to tune new webber 45s, after a few mins, smoke started coming out of everywhere and oil squirting out of side engine.

Now they need to take engine apart to see what wrong, best case head gaskit?? Worse case engine rebuild.........big problem. I'm hoping when they have a look tomorrow morning, it will be something simple....fingers crossed.

Oh man, that sucks and an awful way to start your ownership.  Only consolation is that your car cannot be in better hands than NMS, with a well-earned reputation.

Hoping for something simple, easy and relatively cheap for you.

That doesn't sound good :down: I hope since you bought the car from a dealer and all these problems manifested themselves on your drive home that they are going to be contributing to your repair costs.