Scottish group

Wee Dov

Hi Graham - fantastic roads for Westys up here and good company for runs too.

Haven't really done much to the car - as you know, it was put together very well. I've fitted some 205 cycle wings at the front to make it easier to switch between the road wheels I got and the Image rims/R888's without using spacers - I'll keep them for track days.

I bled the clutch as there seemed to be some very slight traces of fluid under the dust cover. Got a good pedal and it seemed fine but after the weekend run it was going again. Bleeding has restored it but I have a rebuild kit for the master cylinder, so will do that if it happens again.

I have a track day booked at Knockhill on the 8th June, so I'll really get to blow the cobwebs out then - fingers crossed for a dry day.

Cheers,

Matt

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matta

• Wee Dov

• Jumpy07

• GreigM

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a track day booked at Knockhill on the 8th June, so I'll really get to blow the cobwebs out then - fingers crossed for a dry day.

Matt,

what day is it you're doing on the 8th - I'm looking for a day in the next couple of weeks and tomorrow's weather looks rubbish or I'd do the hot marques....is it something open to anyone?

Hi Greig,

The day I have booked is the performance driving day in your own car with an instructor.

However, I do fancy doing one of the trackdays later in the year. Maybe see if we can get a few others along for it too?

Cheers,

Matt

Car looks good ,been out wi the polish eh! ;)

Hope to see you  next time we get together .

Any ideas lads ?  lets get another meet arranged .

Mike did you get your propshaft fixed yet ? :oops:

Cheers Wee Dov.

Had the Westy round Knockhill today - 25 laps in torrential rain, zero visibility, completely steamed up and a Ferrari in the way - absolutely brilliant!

First time I've been on the circuit in about 30 years and had completely forgotten all the corners (although the track itself hasn't changed).

Car was a bit soft all-round for the track (fine for the road where it is mostly) but very quick and predictable. I was surprised just how much grip I had in the wet. Definatelly better than I expected and only one big buttock-clenching moment!

Heater screen packed up and the car looks like it's just been dredged out of a loch but I'd do it again tomorrow!

Roll on the next trackday..... :D

Matt

Good to see the cars getting loads of use Matt  :t-up:

I used to run the car around 12 clicks front 8 rear as a starting point on a dry track, oh and add a bit of front bar,tweak from there.Always found it was quicker to make a big change from the road settings then come back down a bit rather than trying to creep up from soft to hard.

Told you not to bother with a heater :D

*Now what you really need for the ultimate westy on track experiance is another scuttle fitted with an aeroscreen,lighter,quicker, visibility is so much better,takes just minutes to swap over from windscreen to aero *

*I still have the aeroscreen/scuttle for the car if you want it,fitted with gsxr mirrors and luverly blue shift light that plugs into the Stack,special discount for you ;)  :D

Graham.

Ta for the suggestions Graham. I was going to ask you what you had it set to. It was that wet on the day I didn't bother stiffening it up - remembering back to my Formula Ford days, we used to back off the front bar, disconnect the rear and back off the shocks. Hopefully it'll be dry next time and I'll start with your settings.

The aero screen is very, very tempting but if Caroline found out, I'd be dead meat! However, if you can come up with a price even a stingy Scotsman can't refuse, drop me an email and we can have a chat.

Cheers,

Matt

ps - water's still dripping out of it tonight - seats and carpets are now removed, so hopefully it'll have dried out by the weekend!

Matt,

how did it work with the instructor - did he just shout at you through the helmet, or did he have some sort of intercom?  Always wondered how it would work in a westie...and I need to find 3s a lap from somewhere, so need some professional advice.

Glad to hear it performed well in the wet - my own car is hideous in the wet...have never driven round in anything with less grip, need to figure out what the issue is before I do some real damage...

Hi Greig - The instructor found it hard work. With the roof on and full-face helmets (no intercom) it was difficult - a fair amount of hand signals did help.

It worked well enough though. Certainly having someone who knows the circuit really helped a lot. He also drove the car to start with and had a better feel for the car's limitations in the conditions. That gave me more confidence initially until I got use to it myself.

The instructor was Rory Butcher (the circuit owners son I think).

I think the car drove better than I expected because it was fairly soft (still on the road settings) and I have a set of new T1R's on it - if I'd had the baldy R888's on and/or firmed it up, it would have been a 'challenge' in the wet.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a great day out. Hopefully I will be able to join you next year once the car is back on the road it's not been run for 4 hrs as I have been living and working abroad. I will be back to Aberdeen by the end of the year and look forward to catching up with the Scottish contingent.

Campbell Elder

Sounds like it was a great day out. Pity I was working in Egypt and had to miss it.

Dave, I'll give you a shout soon to see what you're up to.

Terry

Looks like a great day out. Hopefully I will be able to join you next year once the car is back on the road it's not been run for 4 hrs as I have been living and working abroad. I will be back to Aberdeen by the end of the year and look forward to catching up with the Scottish contingent.

Campbell Elder

Hi all  :p

has anybody got any ideas re another meet up?

Was talking to a few boys from Scottish kit car club and ther could be a run to gairloch still going to take place, also meeting up with jock7s.

Bit of a hike but I believe there a good bunch of lads ,camp out few beers and a bit of tyre kicking ?

Not bad e'h

But hey open to any ideas :cool:

Cheers Wee Dov

Sounds like it was a great day out. Pity I was working in Egypt and had to miss it.

Dave, I'll give you a shout soon to see what you're up to.

Terry

Hi Terry ,you back in the country yet?

gees a call

Wee Dov

thats a big run gairloch think its time we set up another meet  hows about sunday 18th july .suggestions for the best place to meet and we will sort out the run and lunch.