Buying a Westfield

minisweeper

Seriously, find JeffC. He's painted his car twice now (I think) with pearlescent paint...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• minisweeper

• Blatman

• Jack T

• petec

Hi Minisweeper,

I live in Harrogate too but unfortunately have had to part company with my Westfield for now due to a house move :down:

Anyway, knowing Burn Bridge quite well, you have some of the tallest speed bumps I've ever seen so ground clearance will be an issue. My pinto which used to bottom out on them and I dont think that the sump on that was as low an on many of the other engines choices.(others will be able to advise better)

As for insurance, Footman James looked after me from 18yrs on and seemed to be very reasonable.

Good luck with your search :D

hah.  I hadnt fully considered that.  There is only one speed bump between my house and my normal route to anything south of harrogate (allbeit the biggest one in the world (up the hill past the pub)), and no speed bumps on the way to anywhere in harrogate (using my preferred route); so hopefully i should be alright.  I'll check it out when i can get access to one though.

Besides, if i get a car which cant clear the speed bumps, perhaps i'll have a case with the council to lower the f****r (if not i'll have to carry round an entry ramp)

Speed humps have to comply with a specific set of regs for size/width/height etc. The local highways aganecy should be asble to tell you what they are. If the road hump in question breaxhes the regs then they should take reasonable steps to fix it once the error has been reported.

I believe people have tried but it's just under (i'm not entirely sure how, it's literally a mountain if you know the one in question)  I keep meaning to measure it but i fear getting run over...

There's no way that the speedbump in question is legal, even my Audi A4 catches on it :0

It's also conveniently placed just over a blind crest and not marked at all, I hate to think what would happen if a motorcyclist hit it, he'd end up half way up the pub wall 100m away !!

Local highways dept. Ring 'em up or email 'em. The local council is bound to have a web site...

Well i went out to look at another one today and i must say i was very impressed.  All looked very tidy and it doesnt seem like i'd have to do much to it.  One thing that does strike me is i'd need a tonneau cover for it.  Looking at the westfield one (on the site) it's selling at £230.  Do people recommend the 'official' one or is there a better/cheaper alternative available?

Thanks for the links.  I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see what they say.  Anyone else had a cover off them to confirm the £150 guess?

Well thats it.  I've agreed to buy subject to mechanics approval.  This is gonna be the slowest week of my life...

Pics  and description:

"2001 Westfield SEW in post office red with black cycle wings.

Fully rebuilt 1700 crossflow engine with all new bearings, high comp pistons, piper fast road cam, HP Oil pump, double valve springs, steel rocker posts, bronze valve guides, lightened flywheel, new clutch, twin 40 dellortos + new ITG filters, alloy rocker cover.

The car has only done 400 miles since the engine was fully rebuilt.

4 speed gearbox with quickshift and shortened gearlever running a LSD in the rear axle.

Was set upon pro-tecs rolling road last summer to ensure it was running OK for running the engine in. Engine is producing c.130bhp once its fully run in.

The car was substantially rebuilt during 2004-2005 including all new front suspension joints, new westfield alloys/tyres, new dash and new VDO vision dials, new rollbar, new stainless westfield manifold and one-off silencer, new mirrors, new lights, new cycle wings. Again the car has only run for 400 miles since the rebuild."

I'm assuming petec doesnt mind me putting that up since i've agreed to buy (drop me a pm if you do and i'll take it straight down!;) but it seems to fit the bill quite well.

Anyone got any NOO!'s before the money crosses hands?