Buying a Westfield

minisweeper

Firstly, hi guys!  I'd like to start with a little story...

I went to the kit/custom car show at the yorkshire showground last summer just to look around as i've always had a love for all things fast.  I had no intentions of buying (or any funds) but i like looking anyway.  I browsed past the quantum stand which had a nice Xtreme on display (very similar to the westfield in its lotus 7 inspiration but otherwise a bit chunkier)  I glanced at it and continued on.  Till i caught my eye on a sign that said 'You can insure this car for as little as...' and noticed it was followed by 'Under 21: £450'.  As most of you will be aware, insuring a car as a 17year old is a fairly expensive issue so i was somewhat taken aback by this.  I got some details and kept it in the back of my mind.

Now springs here and i'm ever hopeful summers going to appear soon enough i'm starting to get interested again.  I'm now 18 (still doesnt really help on the insurance front in most cases) and have been driving just over a year.  My friend linked me a few pics of the westfields and i started to get tempted.  I prefer them in design to the quantum (much more caterhammy..imo) and they seem to be much more common/popular and cheaper.

So heres where i stand.  I'm on the look out for a westfield.  I've been to look at one which looked nice but alas although i'm technically minded in many ways, when you get to engine details it's way over my head.  I do have a number of friends/neighbours who are willing and able to help me out in certain areas though.

I've had some insurance quotes from footman james (one of the few places i could find to insure under 19's or even under 21's) of ~£600 for 1500limited (i know thats not enough) or ~£850 for 3000 (probably more realistic for the time being).  Seems that quantum are the only make on which FJ offer a fixed price insurance scheme (unless anyone knows different; both of the above quotes were including WSCC membership (which i plan on getting soon) and pass plus discount)

I do plan on going down the list of companies in the FAQ topic but i'll have to wait till monday for most of them and keep my fingers crossed.

I'm assuming the 1600's are going to be considerably cheaper to insure than the bike engine based ones (and probably more ideal for me) so thats narrowed my field slightly.  The one i've been to look at was £7000 which initially seemed alright (quantums i've seen have been £8+ (but i dont have that much)) but now seems quite expensive compared to bits and pieces i've read on here.  As for the condition it didnt look bad but as i say i'm no expert.

So thats me.  I'm looking for a car to have a lot of summer fun in and that pretty much sums it up.  If anyone could give me an idea of the best type of car to aim for given my circumstances and a guide price i aught to be paying i'd appreciate it.  I've seen the guides for different types but as i say i'm not sure which type is best for me.

I'd also be interested to hear what sort of running costs will be involved and how much i'm likely to have to work on it.  I dont mind getting my hands dirty and i'm keen to learn but as it stands i'm a complete beginner.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• minisweeper

• Blatman

• Jack T

• petec

Welcome to the Forum. Hat off to you for wanting to cut your early motoring teeth in a Westfield. I think thoses insurance quotes are ok considering you have zero ncb. On another forum an 18yo is delighted to be paying just over £1700 for a Vectra :0 .

Welcome to the boardroom. You are in a very limited area due to your age, however that does not mean that you won't be able to get a good car. As with any insurance there is price to pay for the bigger the engine and the higher the value of the car. If you stick to 1600cc then you will still have a car which is quick, but not so quick that with limited road driving experiance ( in the eyes of the insurance comany ) will make you an automatically higher risk. As for cost there are loads of cars between £4500- £7000 which would fit the bill, joining the club and putting a wanted ad on the Boardroom might help. There is also Stonleigh at the begining of May which will bring lots of cars for sale, another option is to buy say a 2ltr pinto engined car, theres a good one on the sales at the moment in budget, and then fit a 1600 pinto engine which is a straight swap, saving the 2ltr engine until the insurance drops again. Gets quotes from as many companies as you can for differant sized engines and keep looking. Local club meets will hook you up with people who know the marque and can often go with you to look at cars.

Good luck

Jeff

Have a look out for an early narrow bodied cars with Ford Cross Flow or Pinto engines either live axle or indipendant rear suspension.

You should be able to pick up a nice example for around £5000 to £6000.

These engines make can make enough power to be entertaining on the road and track.

Look for a car that has had some upgrade work done on it (RAC roll bar, limited slip diff, better brakes and engine mods) so you don't have to pay full whack for these yourself.

Look up your local Area Organiser (where abouts are you) and get along to your local meeting and have a good look at some cars and what you like the look of.

For a beer you'll probhably get one of your local area members to come and have a look at prospective purchases with you.

DO NOT BUY THE FIRST CAR YOU SEE/TEST DRIVE, IT'S EASY TO GET SEDUCED BY A CAR THAT IS NOWHERE NEAR WHAT YOU WANT.

Chaz.

Thanks for your replies guys.  Sounds like i need to get down to stoneleigh and have a look around.  I was origionally hoping to have bought one for the easter holidays but thats cause i got a bit over excited at the concept.  May seems a bit more realistic.  Where are the details for this?

As for performance; i'm not hugely bothered.  I'm under the impression i'll get a 0-60 time of about 6 seconds out a 1600 (is this about right) which is still twice as quick as my other car (1.2 clio) and faster than the majority of stuff on the road.

Since i stick to speed limits almost religiously (after driving like a nutter for a few months i realised how much i valued my licence and how annoyed i'd be if i lost it) thats plenty of performance for me.  Self control will have to be something i need to master...

30th April & 1st May 2006 - National Kit Car Motor Show

Royal Agricultural Showground, Stoneleigh, Warwickshire

One of the 'big two', this is a major kit car event that you shouldn't miss. Stoneleigh blends two large, modern exhibition halls with massive outdoor space for club gatherings and accessory stands. You'll find the majority of the industry displaying its cars - Grosvenor Exhibitions on 01775 712100.

:t-up:

Hmm.  Could be tricky cause i'm in wales (i live in harrogate btw) from the 22nd till 29th april and its my grans birthday on the 1st (i dont think a car show would interest her, shame) may but i'll try and convince my dad to take me down on the 30th if i can.

Whats the difference between narrow and wide bodies?

Whats the difference between narrow and wide bodies?

Wide body cars have a cockpit about 4in wider and a similar amount (maybe 'slightly' more) in length. Also there are cars with Type 9 gearbox tunnels and (later manufactured) ones with MT75 tunnels...the Type 9 tunnel is narrower and hence you have more room for your feet in the footwell - the downside is that you can't get the engine/box as far back as you can with the wider MT75 tunnel but this isn't really a big problem unless you're getting really serious about track performance :t-up:

Hi minisweeper, and welcome :)

I was 17 when i first in sured my westy after building which was interesting as it was only the second car i had owned, i went from a 1.3 fiesta to a sport 1800 with a 1.8 zetec on throttle bodies :0 .

But i could not believe the insurance price i paid a hundred pound less for my westy than the fiesta :)

Footman james seem to be the best for the younger driver, i am now ninetine and pay about 1200 for 4500 miles a year

I dont know where your based but as said before your local meet is probably the best idea,

If your anywhere near the harrogate i will quite happily take you for a spin if the weathers right  :angry:

Jack

I live in burn bridge (south harrogate), where abouts are you?

I'm planning on keeping my clio at the same time cause i'm fairly sure i couldnt live with the westy as my only car; at the moment its insured under my mums name but i just got a renewal quote of 900/10months through admiral for it under my own name on 5k miles/year which i was quite pleased with.

As i say when i was hoping the insurance to be around the £500 mark i was a bit disappointed when i got £800+ but it's still very cheap for a car with such performance.

I'm not far from Boroughbridge if you know where that is.

I dont use mine day to day cos i have use of another car if needed especially not on a day like today :laugh:

Insurance aint cheap but in comparison it is, consider a normal production car that will hit 60 in the 5 second mark then think of the insurance :D they wouldnt even touch us :0

Jack

I would happily come to you at some point cos i am often in harrogate for work or to see the folks.

Dont know if the weather will be fit tommorrow if not i could do next weekend probably at some point.

I will PM you my mobile number then you can get in touch and sort something out.

Jack

Ok awesome.  I'm working tomorrow at 5 but any time before that should be fine assuming i dont go to test drive this other westfield. Next weekend could be a bit trickier but if the weathers nice and i'm free i'll give you a text and see what you think.  I'm pretty free during weeks too if that helps atall?

I could do tommorrow morning but the roads need to be a bit drier but if they do dry out thats fine earlier rather than later though. If not we will have to sort something else out.

Jack