• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MAT1800

• KerryS

• Blatman

• oioi

Here is the latest list,

Ford

Me (MAT1800) – 1800 zetec, madness Kit,  (I need a inlet manifold, TB's, fuel rail, air horns, air filter, pressure regulator and throttle position sensor. I also might need ECU, loom, and injectors)

Kerry S – 1800 zetec madness Kit,

Jak –  1800 zetec, madness kit

Gavin – 1800 zetec, Std Injection

Hugh Bevington – 1800 Zetec, weber 40’s

Nre – 1800 zetec, weber 40’s Emerald ECU.

Stevie (judder) – 1800 zetec, Std Injection

Steve20 – 2L Zetec, new build.

Owen9364 – 2L zetec

Gromit – 2L zetec, twin 48’s, alpha 3D

Vauxhall.

S13RUM – 2L VX on 45 Weber Carbs, Alpha 2D

Darren Oneil – 2L VX on 45 Weber Carbs, Alpha 2D

Oioi – 2L VX

PeterW – 2l XE, DCOE 45’s, SDB Manifold, DTA

So far we have had 2 replies. One of the companies has offered a bulk buy discount for orders of 10 or more, with the possibility of a slight variation between kits. So I'm still awaiting a couple of suppliers to get back to me.

I'd suggest we try to arrange, as Oioi, blatman and others have suggested, for a bulk buy to include the following. 2x twin throttle bodies, DCOE type (ie will fit onto a manifold), Fuel rail and air horns. And also a suitable manifold to suit specific engine.

I think some of us, (ie madness kits, and a few others) will need more parts, such as a fuel regulator, throttle position sensor and possibly a new ECU and injectors. I am quite sure about the fuel regulator and throttle sensor but the other parts I'm not sure about. We need to find out for certain which ECU's can be re-mapped to suit, and if so what changes to loom or additional sensors are needed and also if the standard ford injectors will work or if we need new injectors.

I have hit a very busy period at work now and wil be away on business for all of next week. After that though I will be 'back on to this'  thats for certain!

In the meantime though, if everyone could voice their opinion on what I suggest as a bulk buy list of parts. Also if there are additional parts you specifically need please list them so we can see if a number of us require those parts.

To all the 1800 zetec's out there, if anyone else can check out the ECU and injector queries, it would be a big help.

I know nobody wants to rush this, but we need to keep it moving along, and we all want to be certain we are buying the right kit at a good price.

Mat.  :D

I'm currently on the fence, not sure whether to go TB's, bike carbs or stay as I am but if the price was right could be convinced to swing to TB's.

1700 xflow on twin 40 dellorto's, allready running DTA ign system which will control TB's

I'd also be up for TB's if the price is tempting enough. I currently have a 1800 zetec on standard ford injection and ECU. I'll also need a custom manifold (I've got a rare and awkward layout), but I can have that made to a DCOE pattern and am perhaps looking at a meqasquirt ECU solution.

Ben  :)

Hi chaps,

Back off mi hols to find this thread. I am interested in costing the conversion and clarifying what is required. I heard tell of WF wanting around £2K for this conversion (inc fitting).

Mine is also a Madness kit, and I am in the same boat as Kerry with regard to the warranty issue.

I look forward to hearing more feed back.

Didn't sell it then? Not going to Oz?

Mat's busy ATM but we-re on the case.

Kerry S

interested...

[another teaspoon of ignorance]

..mine's a Xflow running Weber 40's without management. Would I need the lot?

Errr...what would "the lot" be?

I've had a look at Fordy's list but I can't even spell some of those things and he states, "if you can invest the time" (paraphrased), which I can't.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a madness kit ?

WF had a batch of Zetecs that they marketed as "Summer Madness" module kit offer, this ran through the summer and when I placed my order was called "Spring Special Offer". Some of teh parts eg. wiring loom were still marked up as "Madness" and for want of a better description, the name seems to have stuck as a description of the car.

The engine is a new Zetec that is some years old, i.e. is unused, and has had various mods to make it the N-S engine rather than E-W Ford jobbie. It retains the Ford single throttle body injection with a large plastic plenum chamber that gets in the way of everything :( and an MBE aftermarket ECU.

WF sold it as a 120 bhp engine but was told it's "a bit more than that" ???

Does that help?

Kerry S

interested...

[another teaspoon of ignorance]

..mine's a Xflow running Weber 40's without management. Would I need the lot?

Errr...what would "the lot" be?

I've had a look at Fordy's list but I can't even spell some of those things and he states, "if you can invest the time" (paraphrased), which I can't.

Peter

You have to excuse my ignorance too but personally I haven'y heard of an X-flow on tb's but no doubt someone will be along to say they've done it.

Going from carbs to injection will mean alterations to the fuel system to give the higher pressure needed and a return to the tank. Then there's the swirl pot thing - basically a bit of spare volume that shouldn't get starved of fuel on cornering (like current WF tank that works sometimes - see old thread of mine on car dying on a long LH bend and geelhoed's car dying on roundabouts cos they drive on the wrong side of the road :( )

What Mat's trying to do is get a common set of parts that will suit all, thereafter there'll be bespoke parts according to individual requirements. Hopefully those with the Madness kits - me, Flappa, Mat, jak and anyone else - will need a similar set of extra bits.

Mat has been taking various bits of advice outside the thread from other members too. So when he's back in circulation, we should continue to work up the scheme.

Kerry S

What Mat's trying to do is get a common set of parts

...bl**** commoners :D  :D  :D  :p

If only you all had ex-class A racers, then I'd be able to pay/play. :)

I'll have a stab at parts you'll all need...

DCOE type TB's and a suitable inlet manifold.

Suitable throttle linkage.

Suitable air filter.

Suitable injectors.

Injection pump.

Fuel rail.

Pressure regulator.

Suitable hoses and connectors.

Appropriate fuel filters.

Some of you may or may not need:

New ECU's and a loom.

New/extra sensors for water temp/oil pressure.

Crank position wheel and sensor.

Swirl pots. See my method of doing it (Yes, do a search...) which is cheap and efficient, but it means taking the tank out...

Returns added to the fuel tank.

An extra relay or two in the loom.

As for whether it will be cheap or not, it won't be, BUT if we get a decent discount, it'll be quite a bit cheaper than it would otherwise be. If I didn't already have most of what I need I'd be joining in with this, no question...

Thought you'd be along Blatters - ta!

Couldn't think of any good reason why a x/flow couldn't be t/b'd, just more work/££

and can't recall anyone having such a set-up. But then again I didn't do a search................... :p  :p

Kerry S

I think I better get on this list, not sure if the pockets are deep enough, but worth a try :D:D

1.8L Zetec running with twin 40`s and Alpha 2D, so I expect I will need everything that's going.

Mel