• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Throttle Body conversions , Bulk Buy.

MAT1800

Looks better when you take the bonnet off :durr:

Serious replies will come from those who "know"

Kerry S

PS What I'm looking for is an increased spread of power and torque over the rev range, with a not-too peaky torque curve and prepared to sacrifice peak power to do so. Curently have Ford single throttle body on a Zetec.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MAT1800

• KerryS

• Blatman

• oioi

What would TB's offer me over twin 48's on a 2ltr VX

Similar set up on mine (but a zetec :) ), i`m hoping for more flexibility at low/med revs and cleaner running, with maybe a small increase in top end power.

Kerry Email Sent..

:D   :t-up:  Hello All !!  :t-up:

Ok I can announce the details of a Deal I have (with the help of others, you know who you are!;) ) managed to arrange with Omex and Jenvey.

This is based on a Bulk buy of 20 units, so we need as many of you as possible to take part, or at the least please explain why you feel this deal is / isn't for you. The 20 units is an expected number the supplier suggested, but a few less does not mean it will be a deal breaker. However this is for all of us so please let me know your thoughts and we can then discuss things further with Omex.

The Kits will be supplied by Omex, ordered on an indiviual basis, within a set time limit to qualify for the discount. We will need to agree this time scale with the suppliers. But first we need your feed back thus far.

The kits are very similar to those seen in various magazines and websites, they are complete (except for throttle linkages. see below) and the Ford units contain new injectors (Stnd. Ford injectors will not fit the TB's) the vauxhall kits do not as the stnd. Vauxhall injectors will fit the TB's. Although the Stnd. Vauxhall injectors will need upgrading if you have a highly modified engine. These can be purchase with the kits.

Omex has asked us to try and use this forum as a kind of tech support, although if any one experiences any problems which can't be resolved on here they will be able to help by telephone.

The kits come complete with software and data cable and a base map installed on the ECU. The base map however is not Wf specific, so they are willing to map the first 1800 zetec, 2.0 zetec and 2.0 vauxhall with the kit fitted to an otherwise standard enigne, free of charge. These maps can then be distributed to the others in the bulk buy and easily uploaded. I would like to take first dibs on the 1800 mapping, because........ well I heard about it first.  :D  

The prices are....

With a 15% discount

Zetec 1.8 or 2.0 = £1508.75 Exc. VAT or.. £1772.78 inc. VAT

Vauxhall 2.0 = £1275.00 Exc. VAT or... £1,498.13 inc. VAT

That is a saving of £312.85 on the Zetecs and £264.38 on the Vauxhalls.

Please note this is a complete kit, however it does not include..

:D

The throttle linkages, which is apparently because most people make their own? I'm unsure about this, and have yet to look into it, but they can supply these also for an additional £103.00

So then?

It's not the £9.99 I was hoping for... but then again they can't exactly undercut their suppliers...so what do you all think?

Please post up your thoughts...

Regards,

Mat.

I'm not interested in the group buy as I have just converted my VX westy to injection, but I have been following it to see what the price ended up as.

For info, my set up cost around £1,200 all in.  This was based on new Jenveys, fuel rail, Emerald ECU, new pipework, clips, wiring, relays, fusebox etc.  All other bits such as sensors, injectors, regulator, air horns, TPS, AIT, injection pump came from eBay or the scrapyard.  The swirl pot was fabricated from some steel pipe.

The cost was offset by selling my old Webers, regulator/filter, distributor/coil and Alpha ignition box - a total of £740.

All in all - not a bad deal!

hi matt

unfortunately due to trashing my car on the monte carlo rally money will be spent rebuilding what ive got rather than upgrading.  the buy looks good and i wish you all the best

mike

Mat,

As I said when I joined the list, "don't know if my pockets are deep enough", now I know they are not   :down:  :down:

(looks like the GSXR route for me)

Good luck with the bulk buy.

Mel

OK, not passing up on this one just yet.... ;)

As Im abit of a thicky  :durr: can anyone idicate what else I would need and what kinda cost I could expect on top of this  ???  ???

Currently running VX on 45 webers with 2D alpha ECU

My pockets may be deep enougth, but my arms may have to get longer....

Its a good deal but unfortunatly too much for me. :down:

Looks like i`ll be another one going down the megasquirt/gixa route.

Thanks for the effort though lads, much appreciated.

:t-up:

Its a good deal but unfortunatly too much for me. :down:

Looks like i`ll be another one going down the megasquirt/gixa route.

Thanks for the effort though lads, much appreciated.

:t-up:

Same story for me, I'm afraid Mat. Thanks for the time and effort you put in, but for various reasons it's more than I can afford at the moment.

John.

but for various reasons it's more than I can afford at the moment

thats coz we fix crappy copiers for a living. :D

What you mean you don't earn loads of money,then.  ???  :p  :p  :D  :D  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

Thanks for the replies everyone.    :t-up:

And thanks for being honest. I don't expect anyone to part with their hard earned cash if they think they can get a better deal elsewhere.

Omex asked me to keep them informed of the feedback, which I will be doing. :suspect:

I was also hoping this would be cheaper, it does though offer a saving on the complete kits found elsewhere, although I doubt it will ever be as cheap as going the Bike throttle route for example.

Darren, as Far As I understand, this is a complete kit. Which is partly why I wouldn't mind paying a little bit more, to get everything in one place, with a full set of instructions, and these are tried and tested kits. I don't feel as though I have the knowledge or time, to go the more bespoke route.

Are there any positive comments ? ?   :D

I'm not linked to any suppliers, and although I want to get Jenvey TB's, and understand that Omex are a very good source of these full kits, If there are any better offers out there, get them posted up. please.  As long as we are dealing with good quality components and trusted suppliers, I don't mind discussing prices with others, this is afterall as much about the price as the kit on offer.

Martin, I will send you a mail. It's partly because I love Email and hate telephones, but mainly because I'm at work, and emails are far easier to deal with when I have the time.

It seems that the complete kit route might not work in these circumstances. We might be better going back to the idea of a bulk buy of varoius components, giving people far more flexibility as to what they buy and where they source parts from.

I have put some feelers out, and will post up an alternative plan asap.

This might prove more attractive to all.

Mat.   :D

Mat

I had been sort of hoping for around £1500 but SWMBO didn't wince too much at the £1700+ as I'd already told her it'd be about £2k :p

I'm still a little puzzled over the ECU and loom issue. With our "Madness" kits there were two looms, the main car one and the injection system one. This had interfaces to the lambda sensor, the engine rotation, the water temp and teh air inlet. It also interfaced to the main loom and had two relays, one for teh fuel pump and not sure what the other was for. Would Omex supply a plug n' play loom to replace this?

And why can't the MBE ECU be remapped?

As others have said, your efforts are much appreciated.

Kerry S

Kerry,

The Omex kit was a complete kit. It incuded the new loom, injectors (fords) and the data cables to connect the ECU to a laptop and even a base map to get the car running.

I think most of the MBE ecu's can be re-mapped, although I also believe there might have to be modifications to the loom to suit things such as the new injectors and throttle position sensors etc. Something that I know little about though, which is why the 'plug and play' kits from Omex seemed a good idea.

I will see what we can sort out on the other suggested Bulk buy of key parts though, and if these are a good price, you and me and of course the other people out there wanting 'complete kits' can guide each other through this process, of sourcing the other bits we need, and try to get the best prices for those xtra bits.

We may need to go for the simple key parts bulk buy tho' to get enough of us to make it worth while. And it should not cost more than the complete kit, just might be a little bit more investigation work.

I'm waiting for prices on the TB's, fuel rail and Manifolds.

I've got a price on ECU's for those that need them.

I've a contact to ask about new looms.

Injectors, regulators etc etc can be sourced (if needed, off ebay or Jenvey or many diff. places)

So lets see what comes of this first.

What do you Recon?

Mat.