Duratec SVA and weigh-in

Glen H

A 2L Duratec is not stressed to achieve high bhp, take mine it produces 230bhp and all it's got is a set of wild cams. I bet you and your VX couldn't get that with just a set of wild cams, so that means a VX would be more stessed and likely to go bang first and BIG STYLE :D  :D  :D  :D

Any engine which is producing substantially more bhp than it was designed to produce is stressed in one way or another.

And yes, 230bhp is eminently achievable with different cams in the Vauxhall.  Hell, my 1600cc VX could produce 230bhp if I fitted solid cam followers and wilder cams (it does, admittedly, already have a stronger bottom end).

What you seem to have forgotten on the way to achieving 230bhp from a Durabang is that the inlet and exhaust is completely non-standard now so comparing like for like you change the same things on a VX as you do on a Durabang.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• conibear

• Nick M

• Glen H

• adhawkins

I bet you and your VX couldn't get that with just a set of wild cams.

How much ? :D

i have just picked up my engine having had it on a dyno and my  engine uses a standard head(gasket size)and  wild cams running on throttle bodies.see you at the next shoot out :D  :D

What you seem to have forgotten on the way to achieving 230bhp from a Durabang is that the inlet and exhaust is completely non-standard

Who told you that cos they are wrong

I will measure then when I get home but they are already bigger then standard VX ones this was just by puting them next to each other

The limiting factors with the Duratec are pre 2004 engines wear the cam chain guides quickly over 8,000 rpm and the tappet bucket [although a solid lifter as standard] has a relativly small bucket so limiting the amount of aggresive ramp up on the cam

Internal changes fron standard for Mountunes 280 [ish] bhp engine is

Crank keywayed

steel flywheel

steel rods and forged pistons

ARP rod botls

head work [ported and the like no valve inlarging]

cams

ECU

throttle bodies

All the other normal bit that make an engine go.

And yes, 230bhp is eminently achievable with different cams in the Vauxhall.  Hell, my 1600cc VX could produce 230bhp if I fitted solid cam followers and wilder cams (it does, admittedly, already have a stronger bottom end).

What you seem to have forgotten on the way to achieving 230bhp from a Durabang is that the inlet and exhaust is completely non-standard now so comparing like for like you change the same things on a VX as you do on a Durabang.

So a bog standard 2L VX will produce 230bhp by just changing cams then   ??? really ???

I haven't forgotten anything as my inlet and exhaust is completely standard.

Ian

What you seem to have forgotten on the way to achieving 230bhp from a Durabang is that the inlet and exhaust is completely non-standard

Who told you that cos they are wrong

I will measure then when I get home but they are already bigger then standard VX ones this was just by puting them next to each other

The limiting factors with the Duratec are pre 2004 engines wear the cam chain guides quickly over 8,000 rpm and the tappet bucket [although a solid lifter as standard] has a relativly small bucket so limiting the amount of aggresive ramp up on the cam

Internal changes fron standard for Mountunes 280 [ish] bhp engine is

Crank keywayed

steel flywheel

steel rods and forged pistons

ARP rod botls

head work [ported and the like no valve inlarging]

cams

ECU

throttle bodies

All the other normal bit that make an engine go.

Errrr, the word "throttle bodies" rather implies the intake side of things is non-standard....

And I doubt too many Mundanos have tubular exhaust manifolds.

So my comment that "the inlet and exhaust is completely non-standard" seems valid, does it not ??

I haven't forgotten anything as my inlet and exhaust is completely standard.

So individual throttle bodies are standard on Mundanos then are they ??   Errrrr, don't think so....

If you take a 2.0 VX and a 2.0 Duranbang and put throttle bodies on each and a decent exhaust then there's no reason why you cannot get 230bhp out of a VX by swapping the cams on an otherwise standard engine.  The only mod, and I imagine you'd need to do this for the Durabang too, would be putting some pockets in the pistons for valve clearance.

Sorry Nick, but when I mean bog standard I mean no botton or top end work. Of course TB's and single exhausts are not standard but they would of course be on a comparable VX.

Also I don't have a individual TB's on my 230bhp Duratec they are paired, however I gather they are now available. Pocketed pistons are necessary your right but on the VX you need to do head work as well.

Sorry Nick, but when I mean bog standard I mean no botton or top end work....but on the VX you need to do head work as well.

Who told you that ??   Because I think you'll find it's not actually true....

According to SBD's web-site, the first kit which *needs* headwork is the 250bhp kit.

The 225/235 kits don't and you can use standard pocketed pistons with either of these.

Sorry Nick, but when I mean bog standard I mean no botton or top end work....but on the VX you need to do head work as well.

Who told you that ??   Because I think you'll find it's not actually true....

Ok then, I don't mind calling myself a plonker if I am wrong, but

Come on then who has a 230bhp VX which has only had a non standard set of cams. No head work or forged pistons allowed here, totally standard except cams, TB's and single exhaust downpipes.

Bring it on    :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

And I doubt too many Mundanos have tubular exhaust manifolds.

Well the manifold I removed from my engine was tubular not the best looking manifold by tubular all the same but a standard Ford part 4 into 1 and the primaries are very short

Inlet valve sizes [which is what I thought you was on about earlier] are 35mm and the exhaust 30mm stem dia 5.5mm

Well the manifold I removed from my engine was tubular not the best looking manifold by tubular all the same but a standard Ford part 4 into 1 and the primaries are very short

And you're using this on your car are you ??   :p   :D

No cos its not going in a Mondeo

And that's the point. The Vx and the Duratec are eminently comparable, with the exception that the Duratec is all ally, and the Vx isn't. Anyone with either engine is going to have an appropriate exhaust manifold made, throttle bodies (individual and DCOE types produce the same power as individual TB's, so there is no real advantage in going individual, and in fact, setting up individuals is more of a headache...), and some piston work so that high(er) lift cams can be fitted. Spot the difference.......