The Long Way North 2: WSCC Club Road trip 22nd/23rd June 2024

Marcus Barlow - Show and Events Co-ordinator

2 hours ago, ianali said:

@Marcus Barlow - Show and Events Co-ordinator

Fantastic looking book 👍. Should I expect a copy by post, or are you giving out on the morning we meet up? 

Yes I am posting out this week those not collected at Malvern (as below)  so you have time to study beforehand :yes:

@ianali @neptune @DomWash @W Shep @Markh80 @Insuranceman

I will bring your caps on the day :yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/01/2024 at 21:20, Steve20 said:

Did this back in 2008, great weekend!

Not wishing to interfere but back then the Holiday Inn cordoned off part of the car park around the back where with careful parking side by side and a row of cars parked nose to tail across the others we made the parking as secure as possible. Could be worth looking into.

With luck we can also join you…..

On 18/01/2024 at 19:22, scott_prelit now westfield_bumble said:

I may tag along on the sunday as its  half an hour to scotch corner for me if I can get the sunday night off work. 

@Steve20 and @scott_prelit now westfield_bumble I have you both down as possible TBC for Sunday only please let me know if you want a roadbook posting to you, otherwise I will have spare copies on the day if required :yes:

13 minutes ago, Marcus Barlow - Show and Events Co-ordinator said:

@Steve20 and @scott_prelit now westfield_bumble I have you both down as possible TBC for Sunday only please let me know if you want a roadbook posting to you, otherwise I will have spare copies on the day if required :yes:

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for your message, unfortunately I cannot join you guys so have a fantastic weekend. 

Look forward to seeing photos!

• Like 1

On 02/06/2024 at 12:46, Marcus Barlow - Show and Events Co-ordinator said:

Another member has confirmed attendance welcome @Tim.Coles 😎

I think I may of had a little to do with that, kept nagging him to come at Malvern😁 

• Haha 2

I have had a detailed look at the route book alongside an old fashioned AA map, oh my, it is an excellent route. It includes the Hartside Pass and the Buttertubs Pass, aren't we lucky! 

We have done lots of it as part of our holidays in the past but then there are bits that will be completely new to us.

I have worked out a suggested return route for the third day which I will post up on here. It will be a vague outline and not the lovely detail that Marcus has provided in the route book. Feel free to make your own way home or come with us, it is on the bigger roads but it is not the A1.

Thanks Marcus for a route book that will become a momento of the event👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative said:

I have had a detailed look at the route book alongside an old fashioned AA map, oh my, it is an excellent route. It includes the Hartside Pass and the Buttertubs Pass, aren't we lucky! 

There is also a fantastic straight/dipping section along the B6318 that runs parallel with Hadrian's wall past Sycamore Gap 😎

• Like 3

OK...

Here are the backup routes for satnavs with many thanks to @Stuart for sorting :yes:, these are .gpx for Garmins and Stuart has advised you need to copy these to Garmin and do not use basecamp software, we also have .itn routes for tomtom's but the forum will not allow these to be uploaded so contact me for these via email if required.

The 5 files are the sections of the route/roadbook where we reset the trip meters on the cars as follows:

• 1 TLWN -  Start to Hebden Bridge (fuel/lunch) (trip reset) .
  • 2 TLWN - Hebden Bridge to Scotch Corner (Hotel) (trip reset).
  • 3 TLWN - Scotch Corner to Hartside Pass viewing point (trip reset).
  • 4 TLWN - Hartside Pass to Henshaw (fuel) (trip reset).
  • 5 TLWN - Henshaw to Berwick-Upon-Tweed.

1 TLWN.gpx 2 TLWN.gpx 3 TLWN.gpx 4 TLWN.gpx 5 TLWN.gpx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just USB cable your Garmin to your PC and then drag these across into the gpx folder on your Garmin. Then use the Trip button and it should pick them up. These are gpx 1.1 files and older Garmins may need 1.0 so let me know if you think you need those/need any other help. 

• Like 1

I/we have no idea about satnavs, do use iPhone maps occasionally. We have a route to Bradwell(I think) for Friday night hotel. After that we will follow the map book route kindly provided by Marcus. As we won’t be home to see this map until the day before we set off, this could be interesting. 

32 minutes ago, ianali said:

I/we have no idea about satnavs, do use iPhone maps occasionally. We have a route to Bradwell(I think) for Friday night hotel. After that we will follow the map book route kindly provided by Marcus. As we won’t be home to see this map until the day before we set off, this could be interesting. 

your road book was posted today :yes:, here is a teaser (as displayed at Malvern) 😎

tlwn2.jpg

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Marcus Barlow - Show and Events Co-ordinator said:

There is also a fantastic straight/dipping section along the B6318 that runs parallel with Hadrian's wall past Sycamore Gap

Ah, excellent, that is the bang straight military road I see just near the Twice Brewed Inn. I have just had a look on google maps and the tree is still standing on there! Thanks for pointing it out, although there is now no tree to see, I have made a note on the directions.

• Like 1

Hi

I may join you all at Scotch Corner for the Sunday run and will be on my own and use google maps not a satnav. Would it be possible to list the main towns or villages in-between the following to help get the route right, especially the last one as google sends me straight up the A1.

• Scotch Corner to Hartside Pass 
  • Hartside Pass to Henshaw
  • Henshaw to Berwick-Upon-Tweed

Alternatively I can just follow a few others, what time would you be leaving on Sunday morning.

Many Thanks Martin

52 minutes ago, MGG said:

Hi

I may join you all at Scotch Corner for the Sunday run and will be on my own and use google maps not a satnav. Would it be possible to list the main towns or villages in-between the following to help get the route right, especially the last one as google sends me straight up the A1.

• Scotch Corner to Hartside Pass 
  • Hartside Pass to Henshaw
  • Henshaw to Berwick-Upon-Tweed

Alternatively I can just follow a few others, what time would you be leaving on Sunday morning.

Many Thanks Martin

Hi Martin,

Good to hear you can possibly join, we are leaving Scotch Corner hotel at approx 9am to Berwick-Upon-Tweed (as per details in post #1).

As far as listing towns/villages along the route see below but you may be best following other cars as the route is quite complicated.

• Scotch Corner to Hartside Pass : Bowes/Cotherstone/Romaldkirk/Bowbank/Brough/Appleby-in-Westmorland/Culgaith/Langwathby/Melmerby/Hartside.

• Hartside Pass to Henshaw : Meathaw/High Bayles/Raise/Slaggyford/Park Village/Henshaw

• Henshaw to Berwick-Upon-Tweed : Haltwhistle/ Once Brewed/Sycamore Gap/Simonburn/Wark/Bellingham/Horsley/Rochester/Byrness/Hass/Edgerston Mill/Hownam/Primsidemill/Town Yetholm/Maxwellheugh/Cornhill on Tweed/ Berwick-Upon-Tweed

Also you can view the gpx routes we have on the free my route app on phone or PC.

We have a Watsapp group for the trip please let me know if you want adding :yes:

Thanks

Marcus

31 minutes ago, Marcus Barlow - Show and Events Co-ordinator said:

Hi Martin,

Good to hear you can possibly join, we are leaving Scotch Corner hotel at approx 9am to Berwick-Upon-Tweed (as per details in post #1).

As far as listing towns/villages along the route see below but you may be best following other cars as the route is quite complicated.

• Scotch Corner to Hartside Pass : Bowes/Cotherstone/Romaldkirk/Bowbank/Brough/Appleby-in-Westmorland/Culgaith/Langwathby/Melmerby/Hartside.

• Hartside Pass to Henshaw : Meathaw/High Bayles/Raise/Slaggyford/Park Village/Henshaw

• Henshaw to Berwick-Upon-Tweed : Haltwhistle/ Once Brewed/Sycamore Gap/Simonburn/Wark/Bellingham/Horsley/Rochester/Byrness/Hass/Edgerston Mill/Hownam/Primsidemill/Town Yetholm/Maxwellheugh/Cornhill on Tweed/ Berwick-Upon-Tweed

Also you can view the gpx routes we have on the free my route app on phone or PC.

We have a Watsapp group for the trip please let me know if you want adding :yes:

Thanks

Marcus

From this can I take it that gpx routes can somehow be downloaded to an iPhone? 

37 minutes ago, ianali said:

From this can I take it that gpx routes can somehow be downloaded to an iPhone? 

you can load them into google maps and use that on your Iphone.

https://www.bing.com/search?pglt=169&q=open+gpx+file+google+maps&cvid=e888aeb47ed24b3bb91cf16f0fc1197d&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqBggAEAAYQDIGCAAQABhAMgYIARBFGDkyBggCEAAYQDIGCAMQABhAMgYIBBAAGEAyBggFEAAYQNIBCDI4MzBqMGoxqAIAsAIA&FORM=ANNTA1&PC=EDGEDB

• Thanks 1