• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• craggers

• Blatman

• stevio

Well seeing as I'm the only person so far actually doing anything regarding writing the FAQs then the answer will be "Yes if you want to! (and if you can make them fit)" :D:p

Well seeing as I'm the only person so far actually doing anything regarding writing the FAQs then the answer will be "Yes if you want to!" :D:p

I did notice that. Perhaps the question could be worded a little more 'tactfully'.

'What size wheels and tyres a recommended for a Westy'. Then you could say 15s are good for the road, 13s good for track. Mention widths and profiles, that sort of thing...

Oi Blatters...you on strike? Get some entries put in :)

Andy

Oi Blatters...you on strike? Get some entries put in

All in good time.......

All in good time.......

2007? :D

Andy

Hmm this topic have gone off topic !!

Ah well, is that usual for the forum?  ;)

You obviously haven't been here long :D

Andy

mb893.

I've thought of a new page for our book....  

Oh thank you very much :D I've spat coffee all over the monitor!

Perhaps the inside back cover should include a pouch for those handy wipes.......and a tube of Swarfega......  :D:D:D

Hmm this topic have gone off topic !!

Ah well, is that usual for the forum?  ;)

You obviously haven't been here long :D

Andy

Yep correct !!  :D

Yep correct !!  :D

Don't worry, you soon get used to the way discussions tend to meander a little here.

Move along folks, nothing to see here...

:D

Andy

Ok then, I stand corrected! :D Still probably could argue the setup thing if I CBA though! ;)

That's just down to your little wheezy engine though isn't it?? ;):D:p Or on a slightly less p***-taking note, where the rolling radii the same on the 13" and 15" tyres, or were you altering the gearing with the switch too??

?? No sorry, you've lost me there, must be an old person thing?! :D:p

You're probably right - like I said, it was a pretty subjective judgement but I definitely prefer my car on 13" wheels compared to 15" ones.

Who knows, maybe with all the factors taken into account and the car set up to suit each wheel / tyre combination then the 15" ones might be quicker round a track.  *shrugs*  But I'm not good enough to know so I'll stick with what feels right to me  :t-up:

FWIW, I read an article a while ago about drag racing.  They did some proper back to back testing using steel discs bolted to the wheels to simulate heavy vs. light wheels.  They concluded that a 10lb difference (5lb / wheel) in the weight of the driven wheels slowed the car by between 1 and 2 10ths of a second, mainly at the start.  They then tried to establish how much weight needed to be removed from the car to achieve a saving or 1-2 10ths and it worked out as something like 60lbs.  The conclusion was that rotating weight, i.e. wheels, tyres, discs, etc., costs you more time than weight inside the car.

Well I've enjoyed the light heartedness of this topic and also left a little in despair over some of the extreme opinions of some poster's..... but as mentioned earlier, nobody has even asked why i chose what i did, or asked what setups i intend to use.... ever.   Only (and in some cases quite patronisingly) ever told what they or others have done in a way as if this is the only way to to things. Thats how it comes across.... to put the record straight this is my background (if your bothered)...

I started out building mini's... fast mini's. my last one had a 1385cc road rocket engine that would wheely(3-4") in reverse(775kgs). Later on i had a fully track-day prepared 2.2lt Lotus Excel, all done with advice from Storm in Leicester(850kgs). My last car was a Subaru Impreza, 295bhp of FWD power with advice on power mods from Graham Goode(1150kgs). And now my westfield.. it should have about 140bhp or so... 670kgs or so....  it will have the same size wheels and tyres as my Lotus and (as i think i got it right before) a very good suspension setup....... I'm not comparing my westfield to anyone else's westfield, just to my previous cars....... and as far as I'm concerned it will be 'seat moisteningly' good.

I thank you for reading this guff, but felt I needed to say a few things,

lots of love   Stevio.  :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

p.s.

rich...... 21 ! ! ! !     you makin' me blush...... :D:D:D

I had put a loooong explanation of why 17" rims may not be a wonderful idea... then I read back through the thread and saw it was all secondhand... so I've junked it.

End of the day (oh yuk, what I just said, I sound like a football player! ) If you want to put 17" rims on your car... it's your car, so go ahead and do it.

Edited again for:

a little in despair over some of the extreme opinions of some poster's

You want to see 'extreme'... just tell em you've decided to make you car a BEC :D