• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• craggers

• Blatman

• stevio

Why.... 'ugh why so big'

they look damn fine

multi spokes look far better in this size......I reckon.

plus with 205/40/17 on.... for the track... mmmm sticky  :p  :p  :p  :oops:

There is absolutely no need for wheels this big on a Westy. A quick search will give you umpteen reasons why.

Ask yourself, why do all (most?) of the speed series guys use 13s?

All you're doing is making yourself spend a fortune on tyres. My Yokos on 15s (195/50 15 I think) cost about 45 quid each. How much are yours?

Andy

I would suggest that 13's are the cheapest and easiest to get hold of......

I can get my tyres for around £50-60..... one place is here --> www.blackcircles.com

there is no 'need' for this size ...... only that I like them... and they will not harm my handling in the least. :p

I'm sure one of the experts will be along soon to point out why it will affect the handling.

All that extra unsprung weight on each corner probably won't help...

Andy

I'm no expert, but 17 inch wheels weigh more than 15 and 13 inch wheels (in general, I guess if you've got extra light ones that may not be the case).

Unsprung weight is (I think) weight that doesn't move around when the car does (i.e. due to suspension etc.). For some reason, this should be as low as possible.

Cue an expert... :D

Andy

This is getting away from the point

You'll get used to that around here :)

Andy

I'm glad I have been vindicated here.   It all boils down to the effort/lengths you are prepared to go to to cut costs, and what corners you choose to cut.

I set out costing things out, and came to the conclusion that at a pinch, you could build one for 7 large.   I then decided what I wanted, which was considerably more expensive (more than double the minimum budget).  

As I said earlier, it is possible, but whether it is something you would choose to do is a different matter.   I personally feel spending the extra was neccessary, but at the time, a tight budget wasn't neccessary.   For some, that isn't a luxury they can afford, which is why i said it could be done for £7,000 plus registration etc.

You can of course gradually refine it once it is on the road.

Nuff said?

thats exacly the point neil....... get it on the road... then modify as you wish.

seeing as the question was how much to build .... not how much you would like to spend...... :D:D

Sounds like bets are being hedged (again) to me......  :p  :p

Having a legal car for 7K is not the same as having a *finished* car that you are totally happy with..........