• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Westfield self build information

craggers

Yes, there's a theoretical advantage to having low profile tyres, but in practice I think this only works with well controlled suspension geometry and proper racing tyres.

Aren't low profile tyres primarily useful in more heavy cars?

IIRC, F1 cars don't use a particularly low profile do they?

Andy

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• craggers

• Blatman

• stevio

F1 cars use high profile tyres because the rules dictate the use of 13" wheels.

Look at something like an Audi R8 sports prototype, or the Bentley, and see how low profile those tyres are.

You only need big Dia wheels to put big Dia discs behind so if you Westfield will stop with standard size discs  you do not need big wheels other to look like a MAX POWER girlie.

no one has asked what the setup is other than my wheels

They wont...  :sheep:;)

*gets big spoon out*

Most folks build their first westy with the factory supplied/recommended 15" rims and road tyres. They then get a feel for trackdays and find that their road tyres overheat. When you look into the prices of sticky tyres you can see that they are much cheaper in 13" than 15". So they swap to 13" tyres with sticky rubber.

Unsurprisingly this gives them more grip, agility, better turn in blah blah subjective ramblings blah blah.

Therefore 13" rims are "better" than 15" rims. And if that's the case 17" must be TERRIBLE...  

Very few (if any) people have actually done a proper back to back test of 13" to 15" wheels, of similar wheel+tyre weights (which do exist), running the same make/compound of tyre etc etc.

Then there is the other problem that a lower profile tyre may well require different suspension settings to work at it's best - softer damper/springing rates to account for the reduction in tyrewall flex for instance.

AFAICS run what you like, there are no rules..  So long as you're happy and you can get the car to perform as you like then enjoy it. :t-up:

*puts big spoon away*

*looks for coat*

*calls taxi*

:D

I second Tim, if he's happy with his 17's and 7 inches of ground clearance then that's that.

Each to their own, I prefer the look of my 15's with 3 to 4 inches of ground clearance but at least Stevio's running a Westfield and not a Nova or Saxo with his 17's. We'll have to ban him from this site if he fits illuminated washer jets and neons underneath though. :D

Richard.

thank tim ..thanks rich..  glad some can see through the haze.

.... thought I had slipped onto the C******M forum :oops:

neons underneath

Damn you...... thats what the 7" clearance was for..... :angry::p:p:p

I'll wait till its on the road and let you all have a go..... then we'll decide..

:):)  :oops:

We'll have to ban him from this site if he fits illuminated washer jets and neons underneath though.

I'd best get my coat then.....

Scruffy (Dax Power Brigade)

Such as?

Well for a start he'll be able to drive 'over' most cars out there and when he does go off road, the enornous ground clearance he has will come in jolly handy, let me tell you.

I don't know but the word 'troll' keeps bashing at what passes for my mind... if it's not.... wow :D

Very few (if any) people have actually done a proper back to back test of 13" to 15" wheels, of similar wheel+tyre weights (which do exist), running the same make/compound of tyre etc etc.

Hello !!  ;)  :)

Yokohama road tyres on 15" wheels were compared with Yokohama road tyres on 13" wheels.  Both similar sort of comounds, i.e. the 13" ones weren't anything silly like A032Rs.  There were obvious variables, like the 13" wheels being lighter than the 15"s and the width being slightly narrower than (195 vs. 185).

As I mentioned, it was an admittedly subjective opinion but the car feels more nimble on 13" wheels.  There isn't necessarily any more grip but it just feels as if I can play with it more.  It was definitely harder to get the 15" wheels to "spin up" when attempting to goon round tighter corners - car was more goonable on the 13" wheels.

I can't really quantify it other than to say the 15" wheels *felt* heavy - bit like when you have a pair of walking boots covered in mud vs. when they're clean.

Blatters and mb893, I don't think you're going to convince him to bin his 17's.

I'm guessing he's about twenty one and more interested in 'croozing' to his local McDonalds with the Max Power boys than ragging his car around a circuit on a track day.

bit like when you have a pair of walking boots covered in mud vs. when they're clean.

Walking boots?? No sorry, you've lost me there, must be an old person thing?! :D:p

Blatters and mb893, I don't think you're going to convince him to bin his 17's.

Not trying to convince him, just imparting information he may not have, or principles he may not necesrilly understand, in order that an informed opinion can be arrived at. Of course, these are only my opinions, although there are also a sprinkling of facts, like unsprung weight, and inertia to consider, as well as the choice of tyres available. However, if he wants to have 17's, that's fine, just so long as he gets out of the way every few laps, I'll be happy........ :devil:  :devil:

mb893.

I've thought of a new page for our book....  :D:D:D