Covid Vaccine Poll

Captain Colonial

Covid Vaccine Poll  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, AdamR said:

Why does it though? That is my quandary.

There will be a set of numbers specifically for you , Professor Van Tam presented some good slides on it some weeks ago.  There are:

a) The odds of you being harmed by Covid in the coming years.

b) The odds of you being harmed by the vaccine

a) depends very much on how much Covid is around, but even with low prevalence, for the vast majority of people the vaccine presents less risk than Covid. 

• Like 1

Good info, thanks Jim!

I found the numbers presented nicely here: https://fullfact.org/health/covid-vaccine-blood-clots/

Given my age, exposure level and current health, it looks I would be increasing my chances of developing a serious health condition by having the vaccine. Better not to increase the chance of the NHS having another person to deal with, and leave the dose for someone else more in need.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AdamR said:

Why does it though? That is my quandary.

For me (late 30s) it was for 2 reasons. 

1. The reduced transmission of a vaccinated person vs non vaccinated. I have a good few close family relatives who are elderly and have some of the highlighted health issues. 

2. My work involves travel and its almost nailed on that vaccine passports will be a thing. Well this might be irrelevant if the government keep on decimating the industry, but thats another debate. 

If it wasn't for the above I would openly admit I would have probably swerved it. I've seen friends around my age be affected worse by having the vaccine than those who've had covid. I know the older generations on here will scoff at that viewpoint but it's a fact. And very similar to how we deal with flu, we vaccinate the vulnerable and leave the rest to get on with it. If I were older then obviously my viewpoint would be different. 

You just have to weigh up everything and make your own mind up and don't let anyone pressurise you into it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AdamR said:

it looks I would be increasing my chances of developing a serious health condition by having the vaccine

Better stop driving then. Risks of being involved in a serious accident far outweigh the risk of developing a serious health issue like blood clots from the vaccine. And don't even think about ever riding a motorcycle! But thats just two things that spring to mind...

• Haha 3

You raise a good point! I'll get my pushbike out. Oh wait... 

Life is a risk, just depends which ones you want to take. We all die sometime.

On a similar note, I previously calculated that the chance of catching (not dying from) Covid (during the lockdown when it was most prevalent) was lower than dying in a car accident (which is 1 in 252). And that's for a normal driver, not a lunatic who races and does track days.

Makes you wonder why the world is losing its **** so much...

My point was that life has X risk at the moment. To have an additional vaccine then makes that risk (X + vaccine), without reducing X much at all.

Maybe the government should forcibly remove all foods with high fat and sugar content from supermarket shelves, close all takeaways, and impose compulsory daily exercise amounts?

After all, there were 1 million UK hospital admissions in the last year related to obesity vs 470,000 related to Covid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AdamR said:

Good info, thanks Jim!

I found the numbers presented nicely here: https://fullfact.org/health/covid-vaccine-blood-clots/

Given my age, exposure level and current health, it looks I would be increasing my chances of developing a serious health condition by having the vaccine. Better not to increase the chance of the NHS having another person to deal with, and leave the dose for someone else more in need.

If you're under 40 (I think it's 40), you'll get the Pfizer vaccine, so a different set of figures to dig out and weigh up all over again.

Another fun way to play the game is to book on at the same centre and date as someone who is definitely young enough to warrant joining the Pfizerchiefs. My partner is over 40 but because she went on the same day as me, got the same vaccine all us cool young kids get.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dommo said:

My partner is over 40 but because she went on the same day as me, got the same vaccine all us cool young kids get.

I'm over fifty but got the Pfizer, does that mean I'm young and cool, too? Oh, wait... :down:

6 minutes ago, AdamR said:

Maybe the government should forcibly remove all foods with high fat and sugar content from supermarket shelves, close all takeaways, and impose compulsory daily exercise amounts?

As long as they make vaccine uptake compulsory as well.

Actually the government did introduce the sugar tax. Just about EVERY soft drink manufacturer reduced the sugar in their drinks to avoid the tax, and no-one noticed...

Much like all the good work of vaccines which goes un-noticed. The drastic reduction of incidences of Measles, Mumps, Rubella, TB, Polio, Typhoid, Diptheria (I could go on and on) isn't down to magic or wishful thnking or a healthy lifestyle, it's due to the enormous hard work of doctors and scientists who concieved tested proved and got approved a wide variety of medicines and vaccines that have, in some cases, completely eradicated some of the most dangerous pathogens in history. I have no reason to doubt (at the moment) that the impact of Covid 19 can be drastically reduced by the simple act of having a vaccination. I'm not saying we will be rid of it, but not vaccinating is tantamount to saying condoms don't help prevent pregnancy and HIV. Yes condoms aren't 100% but anyone "going in" uncovered is looked at like they're crazy, and rightly so...

3 hours ago, AdamR said:

Good info, thanks Jim!

But Adam, that article is talking about the Astra Zeneca vaccine and young people. The NHS and Government have already said that young people will be given (and are already being given) the Pfizer jab, which doesn't seem to have the blood clot risk. In fact, my 18 yr. old grandson has already been given his first Pfizer jab, with no side effects whatsoever.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

I'm over fifty but got the Pfizer, does that mean I'm young and cool, too? Oh, wait... :down:

It absolutely, definitely means you're young and cool too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AdamR said:

Given my age, exposure level and current health, it looks I would be increasing my chances of developing a serious health condition by having the vaccine.

Be careful with those numbers, firstly, they relate to the AZ vaccine, secondly, they only factor in the ICU admissions potential in a 16 week period, so aren't factoring in the benefit of any longer term immunity you may get, and finally, no mention of the benefits to people around you (like several immunocompromised people in my near family) 

People's risk perspectives differ too, not sure I can lecture on 'rational' decisions after the way I drove motorcycles and jumped out of aircraft for fun . 

• Like 1

went into battle with my second AZ shot yesterday, so far so good, after the first one floored me for 3 weeks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cast iron said:

my second AZ shot yesterday

Me too - as before no adverse affects (so far!) 👍

Had my second AZ shot on Saturday. No side effects from either.

Had my 2nd AZ jab on Monday morning. Woke up feeling very tired on Tuesday and declared a “no sharp tools” day. Felt fine today and promptly cocked up the first task of the day adjusting the legs on an old workbench - normal service has resumed. 

• Haha 1