Covid Vaccine Poll

Captain Colonial

Covid Vaccine Poll  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Had my second AZ Jab on Monday and had no side effects at all. Unlike the first which knocked me out for a day or two. Seems to be par for the course with the AZ version. 

Well looks like another month added on (only speculation at this point).

But telegraph recons it could go onto next spring.

What did Fraser say...we're doomed captain Mannering we're doomed!

None of it should be a surprise, anyone remember this from 2 of our universities in February?   It seems we have got quite good at the predicting/modelling thing.. 

image.png

Case numbers were always going to go up. 

Hospitalisations were always going to go up. 

There's that many models out there at least 1 will be right.

The most vulnerable are fully protected. It's time to accept covid ain't going to go away and we have to learn to live with it. Unless the government know something we don't about the effectiveness of the vaccines, maybe one for the conspiracy theorists....... 

According to the latest briefing, a double dose is 85-98% effective at preventing serious illness. That’s excellent.

65% of hospital admissions are now under 65 years of age.

Current numbers are low on hospital admissions but doubling quickly…and that’s the issue.

The extra 4 weeks (or potentially less was hinted at) will give time to get more vaccinated to a level that will be manageable long term.

Easy for me to say as I don’t actually have a life at all, but it seems a sound decision to me.

Whichever option was chosen was going to p*** off one camp or another.

Boris was mega nervous,and his mate on his right was unusually uncomfortable.

They've extended it,yet at the same time from the 21st allowed unlimited numbers at weddings.

Unlimited numbers….with “restrictions”, whatever that means.

Excess deaths at present are currently over 3% lower than the 5 year average. 

Some very interesting reading in the link below. Even at present Influenza is causing more mortality than covid. I wonder if we're heading for a future of winter flu lockdowns. 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/monthlymortalityanalysisenglandandwales/april2021

We are close to the point where we live more or less normally and those that catch it and die..catch it and die,  much as we do with flu.

The concern at the moment is that the surge if limits were removed would be big enough to be a problem. After another 4 weeks of frantic vaccination rollout, there should be enough folk immune or nearly so that it isn’t a problem…..until the next ‘variant of concern’, course…..

That flu is killing more than covid is an indication that the vaccine is working well, no?

That excess deaths is low probably reflects the fact that the vulnerable are being much more careful (or perhaps, much more carefully managed) than during ‘normal’ times.

Anyhoo, we’re straying a bit OT so I’ll get me coat.

4 minutes ago, corsechris said:

That flu is killing more than covid is an indication that the vaccine is working well, no?

Yep I'd agree. I was kind of making the point that the restrictions that are now being elongated are excessive? 

I can see another 'variant' coming along in the next few weeks to push it all back again, and again, and again....  Funny aswell that the 'nepal' variant that the government used as an excuse to remove Portugal from the green list has suddenly disappeared from all the news? 

3 hours ago, corsechris said:

Unlimited numbers….with “restrictions”, whatever that means.

Venue restrictions. Unlimited numbers up to the "covid safe" capacity of the venue.

• Thanks 1

@Steve (sdh2903)  I get what you meant, just not sure I concur. As I said, my perspective is from that of a virtual recluse even in ‘normal’ times, so I don’t really feel like I’m missing much anyway. The only things I’ve missed out on were blocked by restrictions both here and in the countries I wanted to visit, so I’d have to blame other governments too, not just ours. 

I do get that other views exist!

You have to be careful with 'flu deaths. The figures commonly are presented as "Deaths from influenza and pneumonia" More cases of pneumonia are NOT caused by 'flu than those that are. Pneumonia can be bacterial, fungal, or viral.

My wife has COVID itus, this is a media virus.  The government and media have done a fantastic job of scaring the **** out of her.  It’s plugged right into her head in the same socket as she had postnatal depression many years ago.    She is petrified of catching it, and given the option would lock herself and the kids away until the last case of the virus is gone.  The second biggest factor after age is weight, yet she’s added a stone or so to her mass.    I try to be supportive but it’s hard.  I try to explain in terms of how many coach loads of people she’d need to get very close to in order to catch anything.   Logic has no place in people’s fears and axeieties .  All shopping is quarentined for days and days.   Fresh is washed, other stuff has its own shelf in the fridge until it’s out of date/ deemed safe to eat.    I’ve worked through out.   I stopped meeting my cycling mates for a long time even when it was allowed so not to cause more axeiety.  The vaccine has offered her hope, after her first jab she was beginning to join the world and then the Indian one arrived!! Luckily She’s had her second one now and she’s feeling less worried.    Personally I was nether bothered either way  regarding having the vaccine I consider my self fit and if it’s my time it’s my time.    But  me having the vaccine will help her )and me) rejoin the world.  So I’m 1 jab in 1 to go.   Personally I thought if it’s full of 4g powered Nanobots most the population will be to so..  And if it kills me I’m well insured

I do believe if my wife had of got COVID it would of been the worst case of COVID ever recorded.   To explain So every year you get what we call

man flue and you feel like you are going to die, but we know we will be feeling better in a few days, you don’t panic you just try and sleep it off/ work it off/ whiskey it off.. because it’s just a cold.       Now if when you got the same cold you was told 75000 people die of this every year and this could kill you, you might not be able to breath….   You’d probably panic… stress….   What you believe has a massive difference to the outcome.   Placebos, snake oils, etc when a person believes in them it has a proper measurable positive outcome.  The same is true for negative thoughts Nocebos.. with 66 million people all being told the end is nigh, that alone will of had an effect on the number of hospitalisations, long COVID, and so on. 

my kids are 13 and 15.  They have more chance of getting run over walking to school.. than suffering from COVID.    I don’t see any good reason for them to be given a vaccine which we do not know if there are long term effects….   After a few years and all the vaccines are better and tested for longer why not.. 

remember

Protect the NHS and the Vulnerable…. Hospitals are quite empty and the vulnerable are jabbed..   

• Like 1

the second post i have made in as near as many months... but i suggest you check out the science behind the vaccines, i mean in detail.

i have been desperate to get my first jab but the online site was suggesting a centre too far away for me to reach , yet others in my street got it done in the next town which is a few miles away.

although your kids may not suffer or die from the virus, they can and do carry it even if they exhibit no symptoms, the last estimate was 30 percent of humans show an asymptomatic response in catching it, meaning they dont even know they have it in the first place, thus spread it unknowingly.

there is also the fact even if you have had both doses you can still catch and even spread the virus, although currently this is thought to be around 4 percent risk value. i qualify this statement from reading many peer reviewed papers , i suggest you do the same should you disagree.

i do not do snake oil, i do science and facts and what is true, what long term effects are you expecting...

this virus will be with us for quite some time, we either get vaccinated or risk the consequences, i appreciate its up to the individual but  personally its not about me, its about others , protecting others who may die or suffer from my actions.

sorry for lack of caps, but i have issues with my hands

r

• Like 1