Covid Vaccine Poll

Captain Colonial

Covid Vaccine Poll  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, MR.C said:

I bet not one person can honestly hold their hand up and say I did this for my fellow being.

They have taken it out of fear/ignorance  and selfishness,no more no less.

My wife and I are vaccinated for various reasons. She and I are of an age (biblical extra time) that we are more likely than not to be made quite poorly by the virus - she more than I because of immunotherapy treatment. So far, so selfish, but we have two grandchildren locally whom we have not seen beyond through a car window since early last year, and a grandchild in Sydney whom we have never seen in the flesh. It is partly for selfish reasons, of course, that we want to see our grandchildren, but also because they want to see us and generally enjoy convivial times again. We have other relatives that we cannot visit for fear of a transfer of infection one way or another, and the local community to us is paralysed by the necessary restrictions whilst un-vaccinated people are out and about. This is approaching altruism, but may still contain an element of self-interest if it were not for the fact that neither my wife nor I are especially social in behaviour, but neither do we wish to be part of a recalcitrant minority whose selfish actions put a drag on others' lives. Reasons for taking up the vaccine are complex and cannot be laid at the door of self-interest solely. Personally I take issue someone accusing me of ignorance in some ad hoc forum tirade for simply deciding to be vaccinated. It is the anti-vaccination brigade who might be labelled ignorant. <breathe> 

I had Coronavirus six weeks or so before taking the jab, it contributed, in all likelihood  to making me quite ill for a few days afterwards.

In theory, just having had the infection would have given me, personally, a good amount of protection against further infection.

I had the jab because I wanted to do what I could to protect friends family and people I’ve never met nor never will.

I took it to protect you, and just like I would fight tooth and nail to protect your and everyone else’s right to choose, and to speak openly, even if I do find what you say repellant.

There comes a time when we do what we do for others, because the world needs to. Not just shrug cynical shoulders and pretend we’re above it all.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

I took it to protect you, and just like I would fight tooth and nail to protect your and everyone else’s right to choose, and to speak openly, even if I do find what you say repellant.

Well said 👍

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MR.C said:

Let's just hope the restrictions are over on June 21st.

we can certainly agree on that.

Fingers crossed the Indian variant doesn’t b@her things up!

• Like 1

Preliminary news on the Indian variant is that whilst it looks to be more transmissible, it is not a vaccine escape mutation. But as ever, early information may change. Fingers crossed.

As for why I took the vaccine, that's easy. People with knowledge, experience and empirical data said to me that it's a good thing to do to protect others as well as myself. I am in the habit of agreeing with doctors and medical professionals when they suggest that a particular medication or vaccine is a good idea. This is no different. When I travel to far flung places I look up the travel health advice and if vaccines are indicated, I book myself in at the doctors for a jab becasue as is true for many things, prevention is better than cure. I wear earplugs when driving the Westfield and protective clothing when riding the motorcycle because these things are good and sensible things to do too, not because of fear or peer pressure or some conspiracy that the communists made Westfied exhausts loud on purpose to make a small fraction of the middlea aged population slightly deaf and they've cornered the market in custom made earplugs with trackers in them...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Blatman said:

they've cornered the market in custom made earplugs with trackers in them...

I’ve heard that too!

57 minutes ago, MR.C said:

Only thing is they would be 5 years to late in today's GPS ,facebook mobile phone society.

So no valid counter-points to the opinions offered, preferring instead to go off on a tangent. Why is that? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Blatman said:

People with knowledge, experience and empirical data said to me that it's a good thing to do

12 hours ago, Blatman said:

I am in the habit of agreeing with doctors and medical professionals when they suggest that a particular medication or vaccine is a good idea.

Me too, because Science, Medicine and Engineering  took life expectancy from 40 years to 80 years between the 19th century and now. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jim_l said:

Me too, because Science, Medicine and Engineering  took life expectancy from 40 years to 80 years between the 19th century and now. 

Polio, Whooping Cough, Measles, Rubella, TB, Mumps, Chicken Pox, Diptheria, Hep A and Hep B along with many others, all now prety much eradicated thanks to vaccinations. Why would Covid 19 be any different? 

• 3 weeks later...

Round 2 with AZ today. It was supposed to be this coming Sunday but they asked if I could come along sooner. I suspect this is part of the surge effort and that's fair enough given that the London boroughs I regularly visit are all seeing significant rises in cases, although the borough where i reside is still on a downward trend.

So far (5 ish hours) no  pain at the injection site at all. For the first one there was some slight pain which lasted a few days, and I felt rough the next day, so I may have that to look forward to. However they do say that if a reaction occurs, the second dose causes a less severe reaction for AZ. Given that last time it was no more than general achiness  which a good nights sleep cleared completely, I am hoping that this is no worse than that and sort of expecting it to be a non-event. More to follow...

Mr and Mrs H both received 2nd jabs today at Oswestry.

Dont expect any symptoms as we should both have antibodies from response to first jab.

Symptoms are nothing to do with antibodies as I understand it. 

It has been noted that for Pfizer/BionTech recipients, reactions to the second dose can be worse that for the first. AZ is noted to be the opposite.

• Haha 1

The symptoms are everything to do with your immune response.