We shall fight those coronaviruses.

DonPeffers

It really is frightening. I lost a friend to COVID-19 on 10th May, 60 years old with no known underlying health issues. He worked in the NHS, it really brought it home to me. I for one am being very cautious, working from home as much as I can and minimising trips for shopping etc. We have a 4 year old and a 9 week old little man and I really do worry what the future holds for them.

one thing I find infuriating is the increased cost of PPE. Before COVID-19 I was paying £3.00 for 100 nitrile gloves for my staff. Now £12.50! Some suppliers want £17.00!

• Sad 1

Entirely predictable by just about everyone except the people in government and their advisors.

Of course we need to get the economy going and try to get back to what has been called for some time, "the new normal". 

It seems that people still have difficulty reading the line that follows a headline. All they read was "Pubs can open". They ignored the very next line which said "social distancing should be maintained and where that isn't practical, wear a mask. I didn't think it was that difficult to understand, but what do I know...

Almost everyone in those pictures looks around 30-ish to me. A demographic that probably feels pretty unconcerned about catching Covid on the whole I’d imagine. That they might catch it and pass it on probably doesn’t factor into their thinking.

13 hours ago, Blatman said:

Entirely predictable by just about everyone except the people in government and their advisors.

Of course we need to get the economy going and try to get back to what has been called for some time, "the new normal". 

It seems that people still have difficulty reading the line that follows a headline. All they read was "Pubs can open". They ignored the very next line which said "social distancing should be maintained and where that isn't practical, wear a mask. I didn't think it was that difficult to understand, but what do I know...

Ever tried downing 5 - 6 pints of wallop with a mask on :)

"Use (a) straw, dear Bernie, use a Straw - A STRAW!" (apologies to Harry Belafonte). :praise:

Apropos the bleedin' obvious, the 'experts' were pontificating ad nauseam about how useless - counterproductive, even - face masks were in the early days. It seemed obvious to me that while masks are pretty useless as protection for the wearer, but that they are very useful to prevent an infected wearer from gobbing virus particles at others. Try spitting at someone whilst wearing a mask! Why did it take so f*****n' long for the common sense to dawn? 😷

• Like 3

Now if the drinkers had followed Jacob's advice...........

25 jun 2020  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53182194

Rees-Mogg suggests pub-goers enjoy 'yard of ale' to mark lockdown easing.

The Commons leader told MPs: "If they drink a yard of ale they will maintain social distancing while enjoying an extra large drink."

Following MOTCO's post above   04 jul 2020  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-53188847  "Coronavirus: Japan's mysteriously low virus death rate"

Interesting article. Plenty face mask wearing in Japan with 977 covid deaths currently, population nearly double UK, similar population density and a higher median age. Much lower BAME population percentage but that alone can't be the difference.

There's been a suggestion Don, that oriental people are more resistant than Caucasians, south Asians, or Africans. China, Singapore, South Korea are said* to have a lower rate than Europe. Although I'd take the Chinese data with a squirt of salty soy sauce.

*said on the 'Today' programme but I haven't verified the statement. That said, masks are ubiquitous in Japan and other far-eastern countries.

4 hours ago, DonPeffers said:

Interesting article. Plenty face mask wearing in Japan with 977 covid deaths currently, population nearly double UK, similar population density and a higher median age. Much lower BAME population percentage but that alone can't be the difference.

Before we read too much into Caucasian and Asian resistance to it I would need to  eliminate other differences between countries first. 

One third of UK victims are diabetic, what is it about diabetes, or indeed how we treat it, that makes Covid more likely to kill?  same with obesity, heart disease and dementia and others?  

For all those ailments, how do  nations compare, are  other nations aging in better health than us, fewer with underlying diseases? 

So many of the deaths in Europe and elsewhere have been in care homes, is the care home a factor, compared with extended families live together.

Those are just a few of the questions I would need answers to, but in any case I think it is complex enough that people will be able to apply the same data and reach different conclusions for a while yet. 

There is a huge interplay between viruses, vaccines and other illnesses, this is from the WHO:

"Elderly individuals given influenza vaccine in the USA had approximately 20% less chance of suffering cardiovascular and cerebrovascular disease and 50% lower risk of mortality from all causes compared to their unvaccinated counterparts."

Jim

It is a complex subject Jim, and unlikely to have a simple solution. This article offers some information of interest.

10 hours ago, pistonbroke said:

Ever tried downing 5 - 6 pints of wallop with a mask on :)

Well, yes, but it was Halloween...

5 minutes ago, Blatman said:

Well, yes, but it was Halloween...

Then some say Blatman was born with one  :ghostface: 

4 hours ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

This article offers some information of interest.

The article is not publicly available, and not in my plan to subscribe , though it sounds interesting.  I am amazed at how little we know given that all of the science in the world has been thrown at it for months. 

Cheers, 

Jim

3 hours ago, pistonbroke said:

Then some say Blatman was born with one  :ghostface: 

And others say he needs one... :oops: