Government consider quarantining people who arrive in UK from abroad.

DonPeffers

Noting your concerns about how a UK quarantine would be policed, any ideas on how local lockdowns, proposed yesterday by Matt Hancock, would be policed?

5 minutes ago, Blatman said:

Nope. 

Let's hope our Government do.

I'm sure they have an idea. It's the practicality of execution that is always the problem.

I'm sure we have the capacity to make sufficient ASBO bracelets. Technology is available and proven. Why not use it ? 

1 hour ago, neptune said:

I'm sure we have the capacity to make sufficient ASBO bracelets. Technology is available and proven. Why not use it ? 

Because the civil liberties lobby would be all over it like a rash. It would go nowhere, and cost a fortune as well...

Surely the civil liberty issue is self made by those choosing to leave the country and return. If you know what to expect before travelling, the choice of limited liberty upon return is the price you pay irrespective of how it's monitored.

WRT cost, I would expect it to be much less than having a someone visit in person and the system is ready to use.

4 hours ago, neptune said:

If you know what to expect before travelling, the choice of limited liberty upon return is the price you pay irrespective of how it's monitored

The point is that there are bound to be some folk who, as pointed out by Don, can't afford to take two weeks off, or who simply choose to ignore quarantine. Plenty have already. IF (big IF) the 14 day rule is as mentioned and requires staying indoors totally (unless you have a garden), so no shopping, no exercise, no going anywhere, then I can see plenty of people ignoring the restriction.

4 hours ago, neptune said:

WRT cost, I would expect it to be much less than having a someone visit in person and the system is ready to use.

There's no way a government I.T project, even one with existing foundations, is going to be cheap, efficient or effective.

I think the newest electronic tags are pretty cheap and monitored by excellent' reliable' companies like Serco and G4S who've done a sterling job (that's pounds sterling) in the past.

Under current law don't think you can enforce tag wearing on someone who hasn't committed a crime. 

4 hours ago, DonPeffers said:

Under current law don't think you can enforce tag wearing on someone who hasn't committed a crime. 

Covid-19 law was written in a day and passed in two because a convincing argument was made that it was necessary. I'm not sure the same could be said for tagging a small proportion of the population. I'm betting the cost/benefit ratio on it's own makes it a non-starter.

• 3 weeks later...

UK quarantine started 08 Jun 2020 and from what I've read the fines for breaking quarantine are £1000 England and £480 Scotland. Does that represent an exchange rate of currency?

BBC today  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-53059633  New Zealand's first Covid cases in 24 days came from UK.

New Zealand has confirmed two new cases of coronavirus, ending a 24-day streak of no new infections in the country.

The cases relate to two women from the same family, both of whom had travelled to NZ from the UK on the 7 June, via Doha and Brisbane and were given special permission to visit a grieving parent after only 6 days of NZ quarantine.

Looking at crowded shoppers outside Nike in London with no social distancing and various marches the same it appears many think covid has gone away. Maybe not.

Edited by DonPeffers
15 june edited to 08 june quarantine start date

11 hours ago, DonPeffers said:

UK quarantine started 15 Jun 2020 and from what I've read the fines for breaking quarantine are £1000 England and £480 Scotland. Does that represent an exchange rate of currency?

That's assuming anyone gets caught. I remain sceptical on the authorities ability to effectively police this.

The very detailed guidelines and some stark warnings can be found here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk

11 hours ago, DonPeffers said:

Looking at crowded shoppers outside Nike in London with no social distancing and various marches the same it appears many think covid has gone away. Maybe not.

I was staggered at those pictures. I know lockdown restrictions are being eased but now is the time to double down and make sure social distancing and mask/glove wearing is really pressed home so we can get to a situation that New Zealand have engineered. Just imagine. Zero cases. ALL restrictions lifted. Something worth working hard for.

29 minutes ago, Blatman said:

situation that New Zealand have engineered. Just imagine. Zero cases. ALL restrictions lifted. Something worth working hard for.

Until they let 2 infected brits in.....

3 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Until they let 2 infected brits in.....

Well quite. I am hoping they tested them and then locked them up... sorry, quarantined them... :oops: 

With the UK quarantine guidelines stating don't go out for 14 days and no visitors, it'll be a holiday to remember alright.