Government consider quarantining people who arrive in UK from abroad.

DonPeffers

15 hours ago, jeff oakley said:

This is easy to explain. In Germany if a person dies of a heart attack but they had Covid, the death is heart attack. In the UK that same death is treated as a covid death.

Jeff, do you have a link for the Germany cause of death as i understood that would breach WHO guidelines?

Update--- I found https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/52311014  "Coronavirus: Why are international comparisons difficult?

Germany counts deaths in care homes only if people have tested positive for the virus. Belgium, on the other hand, includes any death in which a doctor suspects coronavirus was involved."

Also saw    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52526554  "Coronavirus: France's first known case 'was in December'

A patient treated in a hospital near Paris on 27 December 2019 for suspected pneumonia actually had the coronavirus, his doctor has said."

Interesting if covid was already in Europe before end of Dec 2019.

Edited by DonPeffers
found answer to my question to Jeff.

Hi Don, just another link below.

I think Germany has it right in many ways as the actual cause of death is accurate. I do not think they are doing this to hide deaths or to massage figures it is just practical.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1261857/germany-coronavirus-death-rate-covid19-fatality-rate-latest-who-figures

• Thanks 1

Our Government's change to the notifiable disease rules could make it appear like we have many more cases than we do. This is turn makes Covid-19 look more dangerous than it actually is. BUT maybe in this case a bit of healthy paranoia is better than the alternative. For sure it's pretty deadly if you're over a certain age and have an underlying health condition BUT other than that the charts seen elsewhere seem to show that for the under 50's(ish) it's not really a problem.

All that said, I'll not be going to the USA any time soon :o :o :o 

Logans Run, anyone? :oops: 

49 minutes ago, Blatman said:

Our Government's change to the notifiable disease rules could make it appear like we have many more cases than we do. This is turn makes Covid-19 look more dangerous than it actually is. BUT maybe in this case a bit of healthy paranoia is better than the alternative. For sure it's pretty deadly if you're over a certain age and have an underlying health condition BUT other than that the charts seen elsewhere seem to show that for the under 50's(ish) it's not really a problem.

All that said, I'll not be going to the USA any time soon :o :o :o 

Logans Run, anyone? :oops: 

Logan’s Run? Gosh I hope not else I would have been put to sleep a long time ago.

there was a lady that celebrated her 100th birthday yesterday and has Just gotten over the CV 19 infection,  What a Girl, news we like to hear.

2 hours ago, SootySport said:

Gosh I hope not else I would have been put to sleep a long time ago.

You and me both. I have the sensibilities of a teenager but the birth certificate of someone apparently much older :oops: 

10 hours ago, DonPeffers said:

Interesting if covid was already in Europe before end of Dec 2019.

The BBC had an artice today sugesting it arrived in the UK in December as well, then spread around a Choir.

• Thanks 1

I think Yorkshire newspaper had a story about covid tests done at a local care home having suspected cases among staff and residents.

The results all came back negative except for the asymptomatic care home manageress.  Makes you think.

12 hours ago, Ian Podmore said:

The BBC had an artice today sugesting it arrived in the UK in December as well, then spread around a Choir.

This is it   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52589449  10 may 2020.

We still have to see if they show any antibodies indicating past infection as none tested so far.

BBC today   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/52674073

Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) had advised on 10 February that "it is a realistic probability that there is already sustained (covid-19) transmission in the UK, or that it will become established in the coming weeks."

France will not be exempt from quarantine restrictions and no start date as yet. 

Recent reports state NHS Covid-19 contact-tracing app roll-out by end of May or early June (previously said it would be mid-May).

Isle of Wight downloads of COVID-19 trial app exceed expectations with 65% participation.

From 13 May (stage 2 of England lockdown) there is no mileage limit set for the distance people can drive so a pity the app. isn't ready.

6 hours ago, DonPeffers said:

From 13 May (stage 2 of England lockdown) there is no mileage limit set for the distance people can drive so a pity the app. isn't ready.

There was never a limit in law. From the daily briefing the word was go outside once a day to exercise and distance traveled must be reasonable. However the actual legislation The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) Regulations 2020 makes no such demands and indeed since the lifting of "some restrictions" the law has not been amended, mostly because it doesn't need to be ti suit the "new guidelines".

Likewise there was never a list of "essential items" for shopping.

Yes the cops have issued plenty of tickets for breaches of the law, but I'm betting if challenged in court quite a lot of them would be overturned.

And let's be fair it had the desired result. Stopped 99 percent of the population without resorting to draconian measures.  Many of those who got charged needn't have if they had turned round and gone home. 

Was all sensible to me and fairly obvious what was being done.  

My problem is with a lack of transparency and basic honesty. They pushed the legislation through in a day. They could have included the language of the press conferences and amended the legislation when the requirements change as they just have. What we ended up with was confusion with the police not really knowing or understanding what they were supposed to be doing. Fair enough they are not lawyers but it took me about an hour to figure it out. Well I had the time... and I was amazed that the law (which the police are trying to enforce) bore no resemblance to the guidelines yet it is the guidelines that the police were/are enforcing. They were placed in an invidious position, which some of them inevitably rose to...

I agree that a bit of healthy paranoia about this disease was and remains a very good thing.

Making people feel like they're captives of the state with the police seemingly engaged in pseudo martial law activity is not. 

I'm still stuck in USA but when I do travel I will be taking a 14 day self or mandated quarantine. I feel it's necessary but a little inconvenient but I do have a few jobs lined up.

Bob

Well Blatters it must be different down there. It's not like that in Cheshire. I've had no issue with the police and have spoken to a few and they are fine with it. It's a general effect and seems to be working fine. 

Anyway thought this might be of humour . Copied from elsewhere 

If WW2 started today. - Why weren't you stockpiling Merlin engines? - The air raid shelter hasn't been used in a month, the government was clearly wasting money by building it. - "Your country needs you" is ambiguous, I expect to be told exactly what to do. - Why isn't the government specifically considering the impact of the Blitz on minorities? - Just because we've broken off diplomatic relations with Germany is no reason we can't buy army boots from them. We should have stayed in the Third Reich. - You can't make me carry that gas mask, it's against my human rights. - You can't make me carry that gas mask, I'm vegan and the straps are made from leather. - I don't want to wear your issued uniform, my homemade one from old flowery bed sheets is much better. - The air raid siren is frightening my pets, stop it. - The prime minister's spokesman said some numbers wrong, so the whole government effort to fight this war is clearly utterly incompetent. - Why are you restricting my freedom, just because there's a war on? - Why didn't you restrict my freedom sooner, I needed to be told exactly which air raids not to go out in. Simply saying "if bombs are falling from the sky, get to somewhere safe" was nowhere near enough information. - I don't care if the high street has been bombed out, it's my right to go and have a hair cut. - Everything would have been so much better if we'd left Neville Chamberlain in charge, Churchill is a buffoon with a rubbish haircut who loves the sound of his own voice too much.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5