Government consider quarantining people who arrive in UK from abroad.

DonPeffers

13 hours ago, Arm said:

If WW2 started today.

Like that a lot :d 

With a £1000 fine being mooted for anyone arriving in UK who breaks their 14 day quarantine the question is should the fine be income based?

A £300k per week footballer and an average earner (£585/wk) won't suffer the same from a fixed fine.

Will a high earner take such a fine seriously? NZ deported travellers breaking quarantine.

Many European countries have income related speeding fines which can reach seemingly eye-watering levels.

During phase 1 of UK lockdown a Premier league player broke the lockdown 3 times but I suppose a £30 fine was no problem if even doubled for successive breaches.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DonPeffers said:

Many European countries have income related speeding fines which can reach seemingly eye-watering levels.

As does the UK...

12 hours ago, Blatman said:

As does the UK...

Not like Finland or Switzerland last I heard. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-52599554/coronavirus-tests-offered-at-vienna-airport-to-avoid-quarantine

Coronavirus: Tests offered at Vienna airport to avoid quarantine. 

For people arriving in Austria it allows them to avoid 14 days of quarantine.

The test results are available in around three hours, and cost €190.

Any plans for same in UK?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DonPeffers said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-52599554/coronavirus-tests-offered-at-vienna-airport-to-avoid-quarantine

Coronavirus: Tests offered at Vienna airport to avoid quarantine. 

For people arriving in Austria it allows them to avoid 14 days of quarantine.

The test results are available in around three hours, and cost €190.

Any plans for same in UK?

€190? Blatant profiteering there...

3 hours ago, Blatman said:

€190? Blatant profiteering there...

Better than a £1000 fine though.

Journo. Susie Boniface made an interesting point that once quarantining arrivals in UK has started on 08 June, then a UK national returning from a Summer holiday abroad would surely face the same quarantine law and £1000 penalty for breach. So Joe Bloggs takes his 2 weeks in the sun then flies home but has to isolate at home for 14 days before returning to work hence 4 weeks off work! 

Can he afford that? Will employer sanction 4 weeks off? 

If no FCO advice not to travel to holiday destination then Joe's holiday is available to him but can he take it if it means 4 weeks off?  If Joe doesn't take his holiday then seems he will lose holiday payments made as he is declining to travel and no insurance covers that so Joe would lose his holiday and the cost of it!

Has the Government thought this through?

A holiday is almost the definition of non-essential travel. Having recently lost one as a result of the current situation, I certainly don’t expect any sympathy from anyone as there are far worse things happening to many people right now. I’m supposed to get a refund, but even if I didn't, again, not something I’d really expect a lot of sympathy for. I can afford a couple of weeks on a beach, I can afford to lose the money. In your scenario, Joe has a job, so, lucky chap that he is, he isn’t going to suffer any real hardship as a consequence of the worst case scenario of having paid for the holiday but then having to cancel. **** happens, much as some would like to, you can’t reasonably blame the government for everything.

Current FCO advice is no non-essential travel. I can’t see that changing any time soon. Frankly, anyone booking travel now is spectacularly optimistic.....

Many Joe's and Jane's will have the Summer 2020 holiday abroad in the Med. planned months before covid, and paid (or partly paid) for already. Many questions to Martin Lewis ask "should I pay final holiday instalment due now?" and the advice has been yes as then if trip cancelled you will get a full refund.

Joe may be a key-worker or may be furloughed and job at risk like so many others, and a holiday is important to many.

The point is the quarantine makes a 2 week trip into four and there may not be additional holiday entitlement or availability to take it.

If Joe is forced not to take his holiday then his full payment is lost when previously Joe would have had the expectation of a full refund.

It just shows how last minute and shambolic our planning is currently although I begin to wonder if the quarantine will even be introduced. Time will tell.

I think it's a reaction to criticism and will be watered down by the time it comes in. What are other countries doing ?

1 hour ago, DonPeffers said:

Better than a £1000 fine though.

Principle trumps number of zeros. Blatant profiteering is "bad" whether it's a tenner or a thousand. But the big numbers make for a better press frenzy rather than examining the morals properly so big numbers get the headlines.

1 hour ago, DonPeffers said:

o Joe Bloggs takes his 2 weeks in the sun then flies home but has to isolate at home for 14 days before returning to work hence 4 weeks off work! 

Only if he can't work from home. And there's the rub.

My question is how will this be policed?