Busa versus 2.0 litre

Ricky444

Hi Folks Just a quick question I currently run a mildly tuned busa in Hills and Sprints in N.ireland how do the 2.0 litre cars fair against busa engines across the water 

A tweaked Busa should be as quick as, or faster than, a seriously top end 2.0 car generally.

I agree with Adam. Plus a 1500cc/1600cc would leave it for dead

@phelpsa is doing brilliant with a fairly basic Busa powered car; even beat the SBD prepared (Duratec) Westfield's record at Gurston earlier this year.

What power and torque You have in mind talkig about "top end 2.0" ? 

Are the Megabusa Westfield lighter than car engined ? what is the weight difference and where is it from - engine+ gearbox+ differential or some other elements ? 

I thought that bike engined Westfields are rather below 200 HP. And then not so much lighter ( yes, I saw Adam's lightweight one on vido, but this is rather exception  (or not - 450kg ? yes ? ) 

About 280bhp from the 2.0.

Bike engined car will be about 75-100kg lighter generally (Fireblade engine and gearbox under 70kg, typical car engine and gearbox more like 150), and faster gear changes as you said :) Busa engines and their installation are heavier than a Blade, around 30kg I think.

My car is 385kg with a splash of fuel, a bit of a exception yes, 450-500kg is more normal.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Andrzej said:

450kg

I think he said to me once that it was around that area, and that's with some 'road car' gear still around.

It also helps that Adam is fairly lightweight human!

There must be something else , than weight, because power/weight assuming 450kg and 200hp (BEC) and 580kg and 250-280hp are rather similar. Fast gearboxes with better gear ratios in BEC ? but what about durability of such gearboxes. On the other side in car engined there is propably more torque .

With so light car like Adam's and lightweight driver maybe the bike gerabox can resist track use. Buyt with 450kg car and lets say 75kg driver ? -  I wonder how often the bike gearboxes needs servicing ?  In my country there are a lot of myths in this area, I am happy to ask real users how it looks like in terms of servicing those gearboxes ?

Really high reving engine and 1-2-3 ... 3-2-1 gear changes are veeery tempting. As I read this Forum I see thas SE chassis itself (I belive Megabusa is on SE chassis right ? ) is lighter than SEiW chassis, so there is propably another weight gain .

But there it is "will I fit" question, and as I experienced when started to drive Westfield with not yet adopted for me steering wheel position, seat, pedals - there is a lot of lap-time lost when sitting unconfortable on track. Then durability. To be fast , one have to get to the finish line. In car engined Westfileds seems to be a lot of durability reserve (gearbox, differential, engine , not sure about suspension...) , I Wonder how it really looks like in bike engined Westfields ?

10 hours ago, Andrzej said:

belive Megabusa is on SE chassis right ?

No. They use the “mega” chassis designed for BEC. 

edit to add - no idea if the megaBusa or megablade chassis are based on a narrow or wide - just that (To my knowledge) there were a range of chassis’ that were produced specifically for the  mega-xxx bec cars

1 minute ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

No. They use the “mega” chassis designed for BEC

Something I've wondered about a few times; are factory Mega chassis a mix of wide and narrow? I've seen a couple of Megabusas that look like they get a lot wider from front to rear than the 'standard' chassis do. Made me think that maybe the Mega chassis has a narrow front end and a wider rear section.

O, I did not know that. In the FAQ section ("How wide, How Narrow"  topic )  I have found only SE and SEiW (SDV)  dimmenssions.

So in the Mega chasis - cockpit inside dimmenssions are rather similar to SE or to SEiW ? 

1 hour ago, Andrzej said:

There must be something else , than weight, because power/weight assuming 450kg and 200hp (BEC) and 580kg and 250-280hp are rather similar.

Even with the same power to weight ratio the BEC will tend to be quicker around a track because it's lighter. It can brake later and carry more corner speed.

As Colin Chapman said - Adding horsepower makes you faster on the straights, subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alex Gaskin said:

are factory Mega chassis a mix of wide and narrow?

10 hours ago, Andrzej said:

are rather similar to SE or to SEiW ? 

sorry no idea - but I understand that they made chassis for the bec cars and they are designated as “mega”. I believe they have a narrow tunnel as there is no need to accommodate a huge gearbox. 

I reckon @Rednop1 will know as he’s built every conceivable version at one time I’m sure 🤣

Power/weight alone is not what makes our car fast. The suspension set up makes a huge difference, as do the tyres we run on. Our car has 190 bhp at the wheels, and weighs ~450kg plus driver, but has paddle shift sequential box, an excellent set up and Pirelli slicks. If you were to run the same car in a standard road going condition no doubt it would not be nearly so quick. We find that our lightness, set up and tyres combined make us quick through the corners where others lose out, and adding power would only make us faster up the straights.

Also, the skill of the driver makes more difference than anything else. Adam is lacking the part of his brain that tells him he will die, however I am not. That on average means a 5% difference in times

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Bang for your buck busa or the newer 1000rr blade engine is in my eyes it the best way to go for Performance and it comes with a  sequential box for free

I cannot add much more that hasn't already been said by AdamR or Cphelps weight saving I would say is atleast 75kg -100kg over a Cec of course depending on built spec's and you try and lift 3 or 4 bags of cement that is a massive weight saving .

With regards to the chassis Genuine factory "mega bec" cars have always been widebody 99.9% of them were independent rear suspension setup but a couple were live axle which of course were for the customers that wanted to save those extra few kg's  but the basic chassis design of the standard "mega bec" isn't really that different to any other seiw  there is a bulge into the drives footwell where the reverse gearbox is mounted  then of course there is difference in the engine bay which allows the bec engine cradle to be mounted.

• Like 3