Have I made a mistake?

Stu986s

Hi all

Having moved and now have the space to have a project I bought an unfinished SEIW that will need to go through IVA test etc. Seems pretty much complete and is running a Vauxhall 2.0 16v engine.

Having now read a fair amount about the IVA & registration process I do wonder if I have made a mistake?

All that came with the car is the original build manual, no evidence of where parts have come from etc.

I need to work from front to back to ensure the latest IVA requirements are met and have no doubt this will take time as work and other commitments will distract me however will I run into issues where I can't provide paperwork bar what I purchase?

Have others had a similar experience

westfield.jpg

you could try the factory. give them the vin number which will be stamped on the chassis on a cross beam just above the brake master cylinder. they may be able to help

Thanks Ben, I have emailed Westfield with the number stamped into the chassis, also looking to get Vauxhall to confirm engine age

Hi,

I built mine and put through IVA last year, i built mine from scratch and used 2 donor cars and was able to get an age related number plate.

However yours with no trail will be a lot harder to put through but there are some information that overlaps.

1. They prefer the applicant to have built and recorded the work - I would suggest that you strip a fair amount of the car down and reassemble taking photos - a good idea especially as the build quality is unknown. This will be enough to satisfy the self build.

2. Track down all the major components and trace using serial nos. - this will tell whether engine is pre-cat or not.

3. Make sure you have a chassis number - if not with car you can apply for one.

4. Follow the many guides to prepare for the IVA and measure, check and recheck every detail.

5. It may be worth putting it through even knowing it will just fail so that the tester will identify the faults and list for you to do - retest is fairly affordable £90 for mine but shouldn't be to far off as they have right to fully fail and demand the full test fee if they consider it very unfit for road.

6. You will only get a Q reg. as it's using old parts without donor proof.

7. There is lots more to do but these are just a taster.

You look like the car you have selected will need a lot of man hours to get through -  to start the seats will not comply nor will lack of indicators, front mudguards etc.

Good luck but even with mine I needed to retire before getting it finished.

• Like 1

Hi Snags,

My thoughts are along the lines of your 1st suggestion, strip back and rebuild, only then will I be confident all is at it should be 

Not concerned about Q plate,

seats, along with a number of other items, have seen far better days so they are on the list to change

Under no illusions here, think this maybe a 2 or 3 year project as work will get in the way! looking forward to starting, no doubt will be asking a lot of questions!

25 minutes ago, Stu986s said:

strip back and rebuild, only then will I be confident all is at it should be 

Not a bad idea to be honest.

You won’t have to remove every rivet, but get it down to the chassis and at least you will know what’s been done to your car that you will be driving. The bonus is that you will have all the build photos so no worries for an IVA. 

nowt wrong with Q plates either 😁👍

Best of luck with your project, remember to enjoy it ;)

In case you haven't found it link to current IVA manual:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/738819/individual-vehicle-approval-inspection-manual-passenger-vehicles.pdf

Keep an eye open for updates would be my suggestion.

It looks daunting at first with 300 plus pages, but it's laid out logically, and contains a lot of references pages etc.

IMHO one of the best investments you can make is by joining this club, good way to tap into a wealth of friendly experience and advice.

• Like 1

You've not made a mistake at all! 

Mine when I bought it as an unregistered car... 

12957099876659429061.thumb.JPG.df0360a00be5112289e83581b7fb1ae7.JPG

During the strip down... 

2017-04-09_09-49-38_644.thumb.jpg.53e4c5bf97251f64ffb81a383f43e044.jpg

And how it looks now after 3 years... 

IMG_20190927_140203.thumb.jpg.761c042e6c4f869e233e79183e4bff7f.jpg

I've got a full photo album of the complete strip down for when the IVA test comes around. Not saying it's been easy but it has been fun!

This forum is an amazing source of information and ideas for when you hit a brick wall. 

Enjoy your project and put lots of pics on here! 

IMG_20190927_140256.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, GaryD1971 said:

You've not made a mistake at all! 

Mine when I bought it as an unregistered car... 

12957099876659429061.thumb.JPG.df0360a00be5112289e83581b7fb1ae7.JPG

During the strip down... 

2017-04-09_09-49-38_644.thumb.jpg.53e4c5bf97251f64ffb81a383f43e044.jpg

And how it looks now after 3 years... 

IMG_20190927_140203.thumb.jpg.761c042e6c4f869e233e79183e4bff7f.jpg

I've got a full photo album of the complete strip down for when the IVA test comes around. Not saying it's been easy but it has been fun!

This forum is an amazing source of information and ideas for when you hit a brick wall. 

Enjoy your project and put lots of pics on here! 

IMG_20190927_140256.jpg

you may want to check your wheel nuts before IVA :p. looks great between the start and end pictures

Have to say as well, you can always ring up the DVSA for advice about the IVA test and documentation. They're a really helpful bunch! 

@GaryD1971, car is looking good and hope all goes well when you take it for the IVA

@AndrewOBW, thanks for the advice

@AdgeC, thanks for the reference to the IVA manual, had a quick look last night and as you say, seems well laid out 

@Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO, that was my thinking, at least by stripping back an rebuilding I can create a photo diary...looking forward to the day I can actually get a 'Q' plate on the car and join some of the outings :)

4 hours ago, syman84 said:

you may want to check your wheel nuts before IVA :p. looks great between the start and end pictures

Thanks @syman84 :laugh:. The wheels are only on loose at the moment as I seem to be taking them off quite a lot at this stage and if I'm away for any length of time I tend to remove a wheel or two for security. Good spot though... :yes: