Looking for a car - How much power do I need?

Burgerbob

My 177bhp/649kg build I was surprised to feel very quickly that it could cope easily with more power.

I think we are used to turbo response of modern engines and driving a normally aspirated engine feels a bit flat.

Also I was surprised by the aero effect at high speed acceleration is affected.

190 bhp /560kg felt right on the road. 

214bhp / 560kg wasn’t enough on track. 

• Like 1

On 30/08/2019 at 13:57, Burgerbob said:

Would a 1.8 zetec on throttle bodies leave me disappointed once the new car novelty has worn off?  

No!

Exactly what I have, and it's more than enough on road.

3 hours ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Manchester AO said:

No!

Exactly what I have, and it's more than enough on road.

It’s not a bog std 1.8 though to be fair 😁

7 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

It’s not a bog std 1.8 though to be fair 😁

True, with ported head & cams now 178bhp.

But I did drive it for couple of years on road and track days before that was done, and I would still say that 156 was plenty.

I think the 1.8 Zetec is a different beast to a 2.0 as it is more willing to rev - and then the sigma is even more rev happy and lighter thus an altogether different (and potentially enjoyable) experience.

Still think the old Chapman adage of “adding lightness” beats adding power any day. 

• Like 1

It really depends what your use to.  

If you're coming from a bike with anything over 100bhp or a modern diesel turbo car with more than 250bhp then a modest powered westie will feel start to feel slow fairly quickly.

200bhp is the magic number for me in a 500-600kg Westfield.  Quick enough to keep entertaining for a good few years up to a tonne without being silly.

If you got a windscreen, most decent powered road cars will batter you at anything over 100mph.  Best example I can think of, my daily S2000 was near enough equal from a rolling start to 100 to a 170bhp locost kit car (aero screen).  Once past 100 the s2k easily pulled away.

• Like 1

Ah, but does an S2000 have soul, or passion?

My Westie has 115hp at the sparkplug, but she still gives me a semi each time I take her out.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, BigSkyBrad said:

My Westie has 115hp at the sparkplug, but she still gives me a semi each time I take her out.

115hp can't be enough, 200+hp you'd be rock hard🤣

Another here with a 180bhp 1.8 Zetec. Car weighs 530kg and is a lot of fun. 

My daily is a 740bhp Mustang. Its very very fast but you cant use the power 99% of the time.

I have more fun in the Westfield and the power level feels just right but that wont stop me looking for more power lol.

Just remember what ever power you start with you can always mod it for more if you get bored.

@wizzer  Rather messy I should think. But you're missing the point. Regardless the horsepower, you're owning and driving something that very few people have, every Westfield has a soul of its own as very few are identical, every drive is a 'performance' of passion, sound and drama. Park a Westfield next to a Ferrari and more folk will talk to you, take pictures, and want to sit in yours than the Ferrari. That's the buzz.

Whipping it around a twisty, technical b-road that would leave other cars in the ditch is the icing on the cake!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BigSkyBrad said:

Ah, but does an S2000 have soul, or passion?

15 minutes ago, BigSkyBrad said:

@wizzer  Rather messy I should think. But you're missing the point. Regardless the horsepower, you're owning and driving something that very few people have, every Westfield has a soul of its own as very few are identical, every drive is a 'performance' of passion, sound and drama. Park a Westfield next to a Ferrari and more folk will talk to you, take pictures, and want to sit in yours than the Ferrari. That's the buzz.

🤣

From the comments it's clear every westie is unique and a joy in its own right.

I suspect that owing one for many is a journey, refining it as you go along. Whether that be adding power, losing weight, or the opposite and developing it as a tourer.

On the road my guess is a 1.8 will be plenty for 95% of the time.

Only thing to do now is to go and drive some and see where that journey begins!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Burgerbob said:

From the comments it's clear every westie is unique and a joy in its own right.

I suspect that owing one for many is a journey, refining it as you go along. Whether that be adding power, losing weight, or the opposite and developing it as a tourer.

On the road my guess is a 1.8 will be plenty for 95% of the time.

Only thing to do now is to go and drive some and see where that journey begins!!

DO IT! It might just be a phase for you, or a lifelong journey, but I doubt you will regret it either way.

I've owned well in excess of 70 cars and bikes, all of them modified someway small and large, but my Westfield is up at the top of the list. And having a solid, supportive and friendly club behind it goes a long way to putting it there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1