Looking for a car - How much power do I need?

Burgerbob

Thanks all, great insight from everyone.

I had the pleasure of taking a 160bhp 1.8 zetec for a spin at the weekend.  It was noisy, smelly, and bl**** brilliant!  It didn't feel enormously quick, but then I didn't drive it that hard to test it either.  What it did feel though was full of character and emotion in a way that nothing else I've driven has done.  The power felt exploitable on the road, but perhaps a bit low for the track.  It has been set up by Northampton Motorsport and apparently they said with a few tweaks it would be straightforward to get it to 180bhp+  But the owner was looking for reliability and driveability rather than outright power (plus didn't want to upgrade the injectors).  

So to answer my own question - I reckon as a road car the 160bhp I've driven will provide an enjoyable and exploitable drive.  If I go for a car with this power then at some point I'll get an attack of upgraditis, but I'm sure that would happen whatever I went for!  Pure speed was not what this car was about, it was about enjoying the drive and the way the car was set up both regarding the engine, suspension, and interior was all part of this.

• Like 7

@Burgerbob , if you fancy a day out down to Wiltshire, I would be happy to take you out in my 400bhp version. Just so you can consider the options. 

Martin. 

@Burgerbob  

Now that the bug has bit, you’ll need to buy a car! About now is a good time –  owners have come to the realisation that the summer (or lack of) is over and they’ve hardly used the car, so it’s time to sell it on. It also gives you the winter to have a fiddle with it if there is things that need attention. There’s a nice handful for sale on the forum at the moment. The trick will be what you want from it, road, track or both, and if it’s mainly road what is necessary and what is luxury (but still wanted?). If you have any touring in mind, wind/weather protection and a heater are welcome additions.

And once you’ve got a car, get involved with your local area runs, etc  and the club in general. The club is dead friendly, a mine of information, and there’s plenty going on all year, even in winter if you’re a hardy soul. I don’t know if your Westfield yearning is a solo pursuit, but the missus and I have found the whole Westfield ownership experience to be great, she’s a bit put-out if she can't be out in the car with me!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Burgerbob said:

Thanks all, great insight from everyone.

I had the pleasure of taking a 160bhp 1.8 zetec for a spin at the weekend.  It was noisy, smelly, and bl**** brilliant!  It didn't feel enormously quick, but then I didn't drive it that hard to test it either.  What it did feel though was full of character and emotion in a way that nothing else I've driven has done.  The power felt exploitable on the road, but perhaps a bit low for the track.  It has been set up by Northampton Motorsport and apparently they said with a few tweaks it would be straightforward to get it to 180bhp+  But the owner was looking for reliability and driveability rather than outright power (plus didn't want to upgrade the injectors).  

So to answer my own question - I reckon as a road car the 160bhp I've driven will provide an enjoyable and exploitable drive.  If I go for a car with this power then at some point I'll get an attack of upgraditis, but I'm sure that would happen whatever I went for!  Pure speed was not what this car was about, it was about enjoying the drive and the way the car was set up both regarding the engine, suspension, and interior was all part of this.

I've had my westfield since the beginning of April, its running a 2L zetec doing 165hp at about 610kg that's probably plenty for the road but I'm already looking at upgrades up to around 220-240.

Probably due to not scaring myself yet plus i want to get on track next year.

1 hour ago, Mark Tearney said:

I've had my westfield since the beginning of April, its running a 2L zetec doing 165hp at about 610kg that's probably plenty for the road but I'm already looking at upgrades up to around 220-240.

Probably due to not scaring myself yet plus i want to get on track next year.

Make sure you also consider cooling and braking in the upgrade.  Very easy to add power and then get frustrated when you can only do a few laps at a time 😊

• Thanks 1

I had a 160bhp zetec westfield for 2 years and initially was more than happy with it. However I did find on track it lacked outright power which did leave me frustrated. Since then I have bought a 260bhp blacktop zetec turbo which is going to be more than I ever need but I grin from ear to ear every time I press the loud pedal. I would agree with what others have said in that 180-200 bhp is probably the sweet spot.