Rear light bonding question

BugMan

Yea I think I can make that work, and I think I will pull them back in a bit as they look a bit odd at the moment.

Also on a similar question i have a nice GRP/Plastic number plate tray, how do I go about mounting this?

And thinking ahead to mounting the heater and wiper motor into the scuttle, I'm really not keen on drilling through the fibreglass, and have seen others using the Big Head fixings, again I have never used so looking for advice?

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/big-head-fixing-m6-x-25-pack-of-5

OK tweaked them a bit, before and after

IMG_2520.JPG

IMG_2521.JPG

Can't say if its in its final position until this in on the car, but I think it's close enough not to stand out like a sore thumb now

• Like 1

And just dug out the rear number plate, which I can't see fitting so another q for WF

IMG_2522.JPG

You only need the no. plate tea tray for IVA. Can be ditched after that! I dressed the edges round the lights to try to make it fit better, then drilled tray and body, and held it on with a couple of SS button head bolts & nuts. Holes not visible when no. plate is fitted. Others have used Velcro I believe.

The tray helps give a guide to location of no.plate light!

2 hours ago, AdgeC said:

You only need the no. plate tea tray for IVA. Can be ditched after that! I dressed the edges round the lights to try to make it fit better, then drilled tray and body, and held it on with a couple of SS button head bolts & nuts. Holes not visible when no. plate is fitted. Others have used Velcro I believe.

The tray helps give a guide to location of no.plate light!

What''s the reason for needing the tray for IVA out of interest? :)

Rear number plate dimensions.

The rear number plate opening has to confirm to a certain dimension. It’s one of those daft things where the tray does, yet the moulded in housing on the tub doesn’t.

Yet I believe the number plate size that fits in the tubs proper opening is still perfectly legitimate and road legal.

• Like 2

Correct.

likewise, for my IVA, I somehow ended up with an old stock (read old standard recess dimensions) numberplate/lamp holder for my traditional style tub. The holder failed, due to being too small a recess, yet if I’d mounted the number plate lamp straight to the tub, and had no holder, I’d have passed!

• Confused 1

Just shows a lot of the IVA test is BS with little common sense put into it ???

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, CosKev said:

Just shows a lot of the IVA test is BS with little common sense put into it ???

I’d say it’s more a case of showing which bits  bureaucrats came up with, without any adult supervision, and which bits engineers came up with.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CosKev said:

What''s the reason for needing the tray for IVA out of interest? :)

To fit their daft plate of alloy with a handle they pull out of a cupboard and test it fits in the tea tray you stuck on. :rolleyes: Poxy thing it is too. I didnt screw mine on, but velcro'd and it stayed on. I had to dremel the edges near the fog and reversing lights to fit better.

On a note @BugMan   I have a mate building his latest car and has moved the reversing and fog light like you have ( and I have done after IVA) and has passed on his last build, but I didnt want to risk doing it until after the test.

• Like 1