Banning combustion engines in the UK, is it worth it..?

John K

Yes diesel is now evil.  An observation is my dailies have been diesel since 1995.  

Cavalier 1.6 n/a  45 mpg always

cav 1.7 td. 40-50 mpg depending on driving style

vectra 2.0 td 44-55 mpg 

seat 1.9 pd 40- 47

The performance has improved, cars have got heavier but if anything mpg has gone down.   I wonder if we didn't suffer Jeremy Clarkson syndrome and had developed for mpg what we could have achieved.      Diesel cars can be carbon neutral.  We can grow diesel!     My 2 tonne camper does 40 mpg with a 96 golf tdi engine. 

Someone made a good point in that disposing of USED BATTERIES is no easy or cheap 

1 minute ago, DamperMan said:

Yes diesel is now evil.  An observation is my dailies have been diesel since 1995.  

Cavalier 1.6 n/a  45 mpg always

cav 1.7 td. 40-50 mpg depending on driving style

vectra 2.0 td 44-55 mpg 

seat 1.9 pd 40- 47

The performance has improved, cars have got heavier but if anything mpg has gone down.   I wonder if we didn't suffer Jeremy Clarkson syndrome and had developed for mpg what we could have achieved.      Diesel cars can be carbon neutral.  We can grow diesel!     My 2 tonne camper does 40 mpg with a 96 golf tdi engine. 

My brand new Volvo XC60, weighing a shed load than cars of yesteryear has just managed 46 mpg on a run to the north and back on diesel. I know if I had the petrol version, I would be in the early 30's mpg. Thats with now 960 miles on the clock, so will get better with time and wasnt 'exactly' complying to speed limits . The thought of visiting family 285 miles away is fine, as long as you can get to charging points in services, as the more this becomes fruition, it will be like a queue for the loos in the same service areas and I dont want to spend an hour waiting and an hour charging, that increases my travel time by too much. Also, lets think about when you get to your destination. I am sure the father in law will be happy to disconnect his car and let me use his electric to recharge my car !

12 minutes ago, DamperMan said:

Yes diesel is now evil.  

Result... Somebody else gets to live at and have the magazines delivered to "Sporty Diesel House"

Although @Captain Colonial if you still have the ability to influence, may I suggest "Evil Diesel Castle" might be more appropriate...

47 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

I dont want to spend an hour waiting and an hour charging, that increases my travel time by too much. Also, lets think about when you get to your destination. I am sure the father in law will be happy to disconnect his car and let me use his electric to recharge my car !

I have already seen this at a motorway service station, I parked near the recharging point, saw a chap sitting in his Tesla, the two recharging points were in use. I used the facilities and had lunch, about forty minutes later I returned to my car and the chap was still sitting there waiting. "Nice car", I commented, his reply was unprintable but he went on about all the wasted time when he had to wait to recharge it and then recharge it, not that unusual it appeared from our conversation.

Friend of mine works for JLR at Gaydon and had a Tesla on trial for a month.  He drove it from there to Goodwood for the FoS.  He then had to drive it to a local village to recharge it at a standard single-phase charging point for an hour in order to have enough charge to get to the nearest three-phase fast charging point - at Heathrow.  When he got to Heathrow, he recharged it again in order to get home.  He started from Goodwood at 1730, and got home at 0200 - if he'd have used his MGB, he's have been home by 2030.  Not impressed.

Tesla came dead last in reliability in the latest Which? ratings as well.

I've been out in it, but there are so many dumb things about it that it's unreal:

> No storage pockets in the doors or the centre console, just a glove box you can't reach from the driver's side

> No separate charging cable storage area, so great dirty massive charge cable gets to mix with the other stuff in the boot.

> Unlocking the doors to let a passenger in while you're in the driver's seat takes FOUR separate inputs to the touch screen

> Rear headroom is awful, hard to just get in without bashing your brains out

If that's the future, I'm keeping the past.

• Like 1

In California they can use multi-occupancy lanes whilst driving alone in an EV or hybrid. One reason there's so many of them there

I really don't think they've thought this through properly. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Colonial said:

If that's the future, I'm keeping the past.

And the past sounds like a Xflow...

Joking apart, the main issue for me is planning your journey around fast charging points. Sure we need to plan for fuel stops but they are 5 minutes long - not 1 to 4 hours...

If we are going to put in a shed load of new infrastructure, I would go for Hydrogen to feed fuel cells.

And use renewable (or Nuclear) to crack apart sea water to get the Hydrogen - might even help the rising sea levels :p

Yes, yes, I know water comes out the back of a fuel cell...

4 minutes ago, noggin said:

I really don't think they've thought this through properly. 

How can you possibly say that about a government..!

Do you think they would make a statement like this to capture the headlines and news agenda without thinking it through..?

Go sit in the corner and think about what you've just typed...

9 minutes ago, Captain Colonial said:

Friend of mine works for JLR at Gaydon and had a Tesla on trial for a month.  He drove it from there to Goodwood for the FoS.  He then had to drive it to a local village to recharge it at a standard single-phase charging point for an hour in order to have enough charge to get to the nearest three-phase fast charging point - at Heathrow.  When he got to Heathrow, he recharged it again in order to get home.  He started from Goodwood at 1730, and got home at 0200 - if he'd have used his MGB, he's have been home by 2030.  Not impressed.

I think you must have forgotten the change from leaded to unleaded cars then and in those days you never had apps to tell you where to fill up. As time moves on, petrol stations will all have charging points. New technology needs investment, but is it short sighted, like cats and DPF are , as they never really resolved the issues. I can see the worl being depleted of ingredients to build batteries . Electric cars exploding, cars being stolen for batteries ( pikeys ?), power shortages from everyone coming home from work and plugging in to recharge etc.

No way will the UK be ready for electric only cars in 20 years.

Huge infrastructure change needed.

It will end up that all cars will be hybrid with mandatory 20 mile electric range for use in cities / emission free zones or range extender electric.

David

Range extender electric cars like the i3 are actually not bad to drive and the instant torque is quite addictive. Hybrids like Prius with cvt transmissions are horrid machines and I think I would rather cycle 

Ha Ha ! I can just see the log jams at filling stations and places like Asda and tesco etc 1/2 an hour per car to top up . its bad enough now with 5 mins to fill 

But not to worry  , by 2040 we will all be driving our own Tardis' :)

Log jams at filling stations will be bad enough but there was an idiot on the news this morning who said we can all charge our cars from lamposts!!!  what plant are these ******s on , I can just see dozens of cars jostling for position around a lampost like dogs  taking a p***.