The West Coast of Scotland Trip 2017. Dates booked.

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

Today we are on the Orkney Islands.

I found it a very moving experience whilst sailing over Scapa Flow as I thought of all the ships and sailors below us and also my grandad going to war. It is a place I always wanted to come to and so pleased I did.

The ferry is brilliant and so easy to use but make sure book before hand.

The sea was flat calm and looked stunning.

Orkney is brilliant. We have spent all day touring the island and seen so many things I forget them all.

Seen a few of the blockade ships as we drove over the Churchill Barriers and also the Italian Chapel.

We visited a settlement and ...sort of church...and the buildings where over 1000 years old...It was brilliant.

We took our cars through a town and practically brought thew town centre to a standstill.

There is not much in the way of hills or "beauty" to look at but the island has a beauty of its own and is stunning. So happy to be here.

Here are a few pictures from the past couple of days.

IMG_9333.jpg

IMG_9331.jpg

IMG_9329.jpg

IMG_9316.jpg

IMG_9284.jpg

IMG_9073.jpg

IMG_9051.jpg

IMG_8981.jpg

IMG_9075.JPG

• Like 4

Looks like you're having a wonderful time, very pleased for you all, a great inspiration. :) 

• Like 3

:t-up:

• Like 1

Well that's me folks home today what a great holiday with fantastic companions, it was a heavy heart as Geoffrey, Ali and Gail left for Orkney and Bob, Lorna and myself wished we were leaving with them

a few pics from my last day, I've enjoyed every minute and a big thanks to Geoffrey for organising it and to everyone when my troubles struck

enjoy the rest of your trip

IMG_1261.JPG

IMG_1264.JPG

IMG_1281.JPG

IMG_1311.JPG

IMG_1316.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_1324.JPG

IMG_1332.JPG

IMG_1338.JPG

IMG_1351.JPG

• Like 2

If I've learnt anything so far on this trip it's that when things go wrong as they have on this trip and despite the fact until a few days ago we were all strangers @Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO @ziplob @Garyt there is an unusual bond and when it all went Pete Tong we stuck together and sorted things.

Maybe it's because we are all nuts with our preferred hobby! and it attracts our type of person.

Its great to see this sort of humanity still exists when so much of the world is screwed up.

Love

Midge and Monkey

• Like 2

Woke up at 3.00am to full sunshine. It was amazing.

The room I am in has full width windows and I am overlooking a large bay of water that is about 20 feet away.

The water is light grey in colour but is as flat as a pancake. its is absolutely beautiful and I feel so, so relaxed.

I invite the hotel owner to come out with us today and she said she would ,love to but our rooms wouldn't get cleaned.

You can guess what we all said.......so......we have our own personal guide today.

The island is not pretty as in massive hills and trees etc but there is something special about being here. I cannot put my finger on it other than to say....its a feeling......

I am so pleased to be here.

IMG_9637.JPG

IMG_9636.JPG

IMG_9635.JPG

IMG_9634.JPG

• Like 3

I wish I had taken a picture of my breakfast.

I have never, ever seen so much food.

Everyone is complaining about the amount on the plates as each plate would feed at least 3.

Gail and Ali saw my breakfast and they asked for small portions....OMG you should see their plates.

Food is cooked really clean and is all fresh but there is so much....its like looking at Ben Nevis on your plate.

I will look like Ali by the end of the trip.

• Like 2

Well we have had the Silver surfer and Simba from the Lion King watching us from the clouds.

Then we had the  "big evil, massive killer bunny cloud"

And today we had the big chap in the bottom picture watching us.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=b5cbfa078d886632

Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 18.28.40.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 19.27.39.png

Screen_Shot_2017-06-04_at_19_31_01.png

• Like 1

We had a seal outside our hotel window.

He has been there for hours.

• Like 1

Today we went to the Italian Chapel.

This was built by the Italian prisoners of war.

Everything you see on the walls and ceilings is painted flat on the wall.

The lights that are hanging from the ceilings are made from corned beef tins.

The font is made from the spring from a dumper track and the font actually moves from side to side.

The statue of George and the Dragon is made from a skeleton of barbed wire.

The place is absolutely beautiful.

IMG_9687.jpg

IMG_9692.jpg

IMG_9677.jpg

IMG_9680.jpg

IMG_9684.jpg

IMG_9668.jpg

IMG_9672.jpg

IMG_9673.jpg

IMG_9674.jpg

IMG_9717.JPG

• Like 1