Dear Diary: My journey from Xflow to Zetec... Now definitely done!

Quinten

I found on mine to put the two in together I had to lift the front of the car on a Jack. This increased the angle on the engine/box. But it did give space u derstsnd the car.

I have had the complete engine and box (with alternator) out 5 times now since 2014 so guess I'm getting used to it!

Although I have managed to do it single handed without a leveller, it's a lot easier if you have someone to guide the prop in.

Thinking of putting it back in today as it happens.

I used a leveller for the first time putting the Honda lump in; made it so much easier I wish I'd got one years ago!

i used to hate putting the XE/Type 9 back in the old car "joined up", it was a huge pain - had to get the back of the car a good way up in the air to get the angles right to feed everything down the tunnel. Fitting them sepperately, which is how I normally did it, was soooo much easier.

11 minutes ago, Quinten said:

Am considering

s-l1600.jpg

just to make life a little easier the next time...

Straight from the BDSM catalogue!

5 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - WSCC AO Rep said:

I used a leveller for the first time putting the Honda lump in; made it so much easier I wish I'd got one years ago!

i used to hate putting the XE/Type 9 back in the old car "joined up", it was a huge pain - had to get the back of the car a good way up in the air to get the angles right to feed everything down the tunnel. Fitting them sepperately, which is how I normally did it, was soooo much easier.

Did your old car have the wider tunnel?

just looks to me to be harder to mate things up in situ with little room to get in and torque things up?

It did. And the engine was further back in the chassis than standard.

2 hours ago, Quinten said:

Am considering

s-l1600.jpg

just to make life a little easier the next time...

I have one your welcome to borrow Quinten 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quinten said:

@Marto303 if you can spare it for a few weeks whilst I get my mounts done?

It's yours when you need it :t-up:

• Like 1

I'll see if I can pop round this week @Marto303...  may feel adventurous on Boxing day with my new tools (sshh, don't tell Santa I know what's wrapped up for me ;))

Great progress today.  With the help of @Marto303's engine leveller and without the help of Q jr I got the engine in once again, but this time inside the garage, meaning I can leave it there overnight and make all the adjustments to the engine mounts without rushing to get it done before dark.

2016-12-26_14_52_55.jpg

I put the nose cone on and it looks a perfect fit

2016-12-26_14_57_25.jpg

So onto the mount on the inlet side.  It dropped straight into the hole already there from the Crossflow, all I had to do is enlarge it slightly to get the rubber engine mount thread to fall through

2016-12-26_14_58_56.jpg

On the exhaust side I am having to make my own mount using the old Crossflow mount, and a base plate I got from a Zetec Facebook group seller.

2016-12-26_14_53_02.jpg

It looks like I can re-use the existing mounting holes on the chassis too, and I only need to shorten the top half that mounts to the new plate and get it welded up.

Question to those who know: does the engine need to sit more or less level inside the engine bay?  I've got the car level on stands, and putting a spirit level on the engine it is more or less level too.  I've taken measurements on top of the timing belt (left) and on one side of the rocker cover (right).

2016-12-26 16.17.48.jpg2016-12-26 16.18.06.jpg

1 minute ago, dombanks said:

Dunno if it makes a difference but my engine mount the sits much further forward on the engine. 

Should not make a difference.  The reason why this position works well for me is that with my narrow type 9 tunnel, the engine sits way further forward, meaning that the front mount would sit nowhere on the chassis.