Westfield Mega S2000 question and greetings from the USA.

Davemk1

Hello,

My name is Dave and I live in Bozeman, MT in the USA. I apologize if this first post of mine is in the wrong area and hope that the mods will move it if there is a better place for it.

I'm hoping to buy and build a new Westfield Mega S2000 this coming winter and I have a question for those in the know about interior room in the car.

I currently drive a 2005 Lotus Elise and owned a 1999 Birkin S3 Seven clone before that so I'm comfortable and experienced with small cars..........my issue is that I'm 6'4" tall, love small and light sports cars and live in a region where i will need to use the weather gear on a fairly regular basis. I will use the Westfield in the same way I've used the Lotus and Birkin - some back road driving (great driving here in the wilds of Montana) as well as a lot of competing in SCCA Solo events (autocross as it might be more commonly known).

What I could use some help with is determining if i will fit in the car, with the top in place, while wearing a helmet. I compete in Solo events in all weather (summer weather anyway) and need to fit under the top with a helmet on my head. I fit in the Elise, just barely, so I can use the seat-to-head room in that car as a baseline to how other cars might fit. What I'm hoping for is that someone out there might be able to measure their Westfield in a similar way so that I might be able to compare. I've posted two photos showing how I've measured the Elise - from the lowest part of the seat where my butt goes to the part of the roof my helmet is closest to. In this case I've measured to the soft top roof bow to make it easy to see. I show 38.5" from butt to head in the Elise.

The model of Westfield I'd be buying is the new Mega S2000 with the lowered floor. Can anyone out there measure their car in a similar way and let me know what you get?

As a slight aside - does anyone here own one of the Honda powered cars? I'd love to hear your impressions of the car and how it feels on the road.

I thank you all for your time and hope to be an active member here - at least if I can get into the car!

Thanks again - 

Dave

10963730144_d09056950d_o.jpg

10963633756_7e7d085c19_o.jpg

Welcome Dave. I envy you, living in such a beautiful part of the world. Is the speed limit still "Prudent".

I cant help you with the question as I've not got a hood on mine and it's a Caterham anyway.

Having owned an Elise myself I would say if you can get in an Elise you'll be OK in the Westfield with the right seats and a lowered floor. Someone tall will be along soon to confirm or deny my view.

Most of us do not use a "hood" or "roof" as you just need a waterproof windproof suit and warm clothing plus a helmet or beamy hat not forgetting good gloves

I hear you on the top. When I ran my Birkin I only used the top when it was seriously cold.........the problem is that here in Montana it can be very cold first thing in the morning even in high summer and I nearly weekly drive 100 miles on a weekend morning to a race. High altitude along with desert dry air means we can have 25°F in the morning and 80° F that afternoon - and - 100 miles at 80 mph when it's 25° F is not the way to go without a top. Couple that with rain at times and it can be less than pleasant. So I will really need a full set of weather gear to fully use and enjoy the car.

Thanks again.

dave

You could look at the new msa roll bar and a half hood. That combination will give you good head room. With doors it should still be quite toastie.

If you contact Mark or Simon at the factory they should be able to give you some info.

Good luck

What are those funny numbers on your ruler? ;)

Are they what we used to call inches in the old days? :d

Oh and welcome, I'm afraid I cant help on the fit, I'm 5'-6" and 10 stone so I have loads of room :p

What are those funny numbers on your ruler? ;)

Are they what we used to call inches in the old days? :d

Oh and welcome, I'm afraid I cant help on the fit, I'm 5'-6" and 10 stone so I have loads of room :p

I worked with some guys years ago that were so unfamiliar with the metric system that they called centimeters 'metric inches'. Nice guys but not scholars for sure.

Yes my one ruler that is long enough to measure this is in inches but I think we might be able to translate that to the metric system - let's call it 97.8 cm. Oh - and I don't think you need to be tall to answer the question - you just need a car with a top and a tape rule. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Snowing hard here today - makes thinking about driving this potential new car seem silly.

Dave

Dave, suggest you read the exploits of our Canadian member 7sRWild, who has been driving his imported Westfield in very similar landscapes and weathers - you won't be alone!

Ok I'll measure mine tomorrow......in inches :t-up:

The car can be made to work pretty well with a heater and hood; just don't expect to read to much about it on the Boardroom, for some reason, despite lots of owners using them, it's seems like most that do, don't admit it on here!  :laugh: 

It's not perfect hood up, with no proper doors, it's never going to be, but it can be made much better than it is out of the box. The half hood is a fantastic bit of kit too, a great compromise in speed and convenience, yet keeps the worst of the weather and drafts from the freeway "commute" to an event off you.

Unfortunately, my current car lacks the lowered floors, so can't really help you with the measurements.

Can I just double check one thing though, I'm not sure if I've misunderstood you, but you're not actually planning on competing hood up are you? Just travelling too and possibly from, some of the events.

Dave, I've driven in sub zero temperatures many time (centigrade, not Fahrenheit). If you have good cold weather clothing and good gloves it's fine and very exhilarating.

I aero'd for seven years of the ten I've owned the car. I'm doing an extra thousand a year over the winter months since going roof and heater, and I used to think I was out in harsh conditions before!

Plus I'm enjoying the winter driving more now that I'm freed from the need for all the clothing layers when I want to blat in minus zero conditions.

Hey Mr. Eastwood - 

Thanks for the reply. Having lived with, and raced my Birkin for 4 years here in Montana I'm all too aware that putting the top up on a Seven won't make it a Benz (quiet and dry) but life is MUCH more pleasant here with the top and side curtains in place on some mornings. Combine this with the fact that the return 100 mile drive in the afternoon will often encounter a thunderstorm with strong winds and hail and having some protection makes the whole thing much more fun and dare I say practical.

I raced the Birkin for a number of years and really enjoyed it. It wasn't quite big enough for me, and that and the lack of a heater made me try the Elise. I won numerous state and regional titles in the Birkin and it was really fun. I hope that the Westfield with the Honda S2000 engine would be a bit more roomy and have more power than my old Birkin did.

Even though you don't have the lowered floor it would still be helpful and give me an idea of the head room without and and I could do the math to figure it out with the lower floor. So if you have the time it would be a big help. Oh..........and yes it would be good to be able to compete with a helmet on and the the top in place.

Here are a few shots of my old Birkin - fun car.

Dave

10967994993_86d3f23820_b.jpg

10967740205_a7661cf9c7_b.jpg

• Like 1

Looks fun!

I'll try and remember tomorrow night to nip out and take some measurements.

The dropped floors do seem to make a worthwhile improvement from my brief experiences of them so far - I'm 6'1", but proportionally, long backed, rather than long legged IYSWIM. With a helmet on and my regular floors and my old sports seats, my head is perilously close to the top of the RAC bar, so the lower floors would give a bit more clearance. But not sure if it would be enough.

FWIW, my Mega s2000 kit should be ready for collection in three weeks or so, the car is an absolute cracker. Having built my current Westfield nearly ten years ago, I used to think nothing would ever make me get rid. The Mega S2000 changed all that!  :laugh: