The West Coast of Scotland Trip 2017. Dates booked.

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

Today has been another great adventure.

After the mammoth breakfast we headed out and the first stop was the Italian Chapel.

We drove over three of the Churchill barriers and past some of the visible blockade ships that we placed there in the war.

We arrived at the chapel just as a coach load of visitors arrived so we quickly ran in and took pictures before the place became full.

The quality and standard of the place is unbelievable and you really cannot believe the walls are totally flat.

From there we had a mooch around the island.

We went to another graveyard and found two graves that had skull and crossbones on them and a shield. We cleaned them off but could not make out the writing.

Then as we where leaving we spoke with a group of people and I ended up taking one daughter for a ride in Buttercup whilst Gail ended up taking the other daughter and also their mother for a ride....no need to guess weather they liked it or not. :t-up::d

We continued exploring and went to a number of WW1 and WW2 gun emplacements and that was so interesting.

As I now sit here I am trying to think of everything else but my mind has gone totally blank as we have done and seen so much.....we don't just drive round you know.....well we do but we cram so much in from morning until night.

We went to the supermarket and as I type we are eating a seeded crusty loaf and tiger bread with best butter, Italian meats, cheese, salad, pate and a bottle of wine and we are watching the seals in the bay  at our 1.0 clock, with a Churchill barrier and a blockade ship at  our 10 o clock and at our 11 o clock is the Italian Chapel. The sun is on our backs and everything is just perfect.

IMG_9843.jpg

IMG_9873.jpg

IMG_9878.jpg

IMG_9812.jpg

IMG_9856.JPG

IMG_9827.JPG

IMG_9778.JPG

IMG_9823.jpg

IMG_9841.jpg

IMG_9812.jpg

IMG_9782.JPG

IMG_9780.JPG

IMG_9777.JPG

IMG_9757.JPG

IMG_9740.JPG

• Like 5

We made 2 girls and their mums day today when they had a ride in our cars. This is what Westying is all about, making people smile as we have so many on Orkney.

IMG_20170604_112102.jpg

IMG_20170604_112039.jpg

• Like 3

A few more pics.

IMG_20170604_190620.jpg

IMG_20170604_104904.jpg

• Like 2

I reckon Ali and Geoffrey have got a sun tan, look at those tanned faces. What weather, what a trip.:t-up:

• Like 2

I don't know what you two have been up to but Ali looks worryingly pleased with himself, and Geoffrey looks like he's hoping that you haven't got more photographs! :o:laugh:

IMG_20170604_190620.jpg

• Like 5

Every picture tells a story, and there's a bestselling novel and a Hollywood blockbuster in that one!

• Like 3

Been to Orkney three times on diving holidays, stayed in a converted trawler and cruised around the wreck sites. The Italian chapel is truly remarkable also the naval museum at Lyness. Unfortunately we didnt see much more of the islands all our time seemed to be in the water or in the pub,  great days.

Love the pics keep them coming 

• Like 2

On 2017-6-3 at 08:11, David-hrv said:

Yes Dave, adhesive finally gave up the ghost after 19 years. My nice, shiny, unblemished arches are now no more (well one of them anyway) and will have to be bolted on in future. The colour is Sunburst Yellow and Westfield have a 6 week lead time. Rather than repair the one that jumped ship, it might be quicker, cheaper and easier to change both of them for black non-Westfield ones from somewhere else. I can change them both for less than the cost of one from Westfield.

Still, it was a great run and nothing worse happened.

Thanks to Ali for sharing the embarrassing pics.

Is that the same as Canary yellow, do you know? It looks similar- in which case I have a pair of Canary yellow wings you could have for postage...

• Like 3

Not sure if Canary yellow is the same. I'll find out from Westfield tomorrow and if they're the same, I would like to take you up on that very kind offer. Thank you. I may have got the colour name wrong myself.

I'll get back to you when I've spoken to the factory.

Cheers,

David

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Ali Jones said:

IMG_20170605_144255.jpg

Whats up with buttercup?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

Is that the same as Canary yellow, do you know? It looks similar- in which case I have a pair of Canary yellow wings you could have for postage...

You've gotta love this club

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, marcusb said:

Whats up with buttercup?

One broken throttle cable replaced with a spare one but its been sticking we thought and the cars taking a while to come back to idle. Possible air leak maybe or unbalanced carbs possibly

• Like 2